Kites?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Kites?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 3:12pm
steve6854 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 1:32pmPreviously I lived Ceredigion (W Wales) and there were good numbers of there, but nothing like the numbers I see in WB.
The released population or its descendants recently made contact with the remnant native population in Wales.

Jonathan
Wales has been a little tardy with Fibre rollout, I know :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think a lot of birds are more widespread than some people realise - it's a matter of looking upwards. We are well-placed here, not far from Fairburn Ings and St Aidan's RSPB reserves. AIUI, the River Aire (and Leeds and Liverpool Canal?) is used for navigation by migrating birds and, as well as motorway verges being informal reserves, I could imagine birds using them as navigation aids.
======================
Re Wales We went on holiday to the Mawdach Estuary in the 1990s and red kites were established there then. There was a farm where they were fed raw meat daily and we saw several in that general area, apart from the big numbers at that feeding place.
PH

Post by PH »

Not that frequently observed in Derbyshire, no longer the stop and stare novelty they were a decade ago, just not as commonplace as in parts of Leicestershire and particularly Rutland.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PH wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 4:47pm Not that frequently observed in Derbyshire, no longer the stop and stare novelty they were a decade ago, just not as commonplace as in parts of Leicestershire and particularly Rutland.
I remember when I first saw one immediately after their reintroduction to the Chiltern Hills. I knew nothing about it and it's a wonder I didn't drive off the M40 in surprise :shock:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 5:44pm
PH wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 4:47pm Not that frequently observed in Derbyshire, no longer the stop and stare novelty they were a decade ago, just not as commonplace as in parts of Leicestershire and particularly Rutland.
I remember when I first saw one immediately after their reintroduction to the Chiltern Hills. I knew nothing about it and it's a wonder I didn't drive off the M40 in surprise
Ditto, except that we were cycling W from Watlington. And I'd twice gone to Wales in search but without success.

Jonathan
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I'm in NW London on the Hertfordshire border and regularly see Red Kites when cycling in the Chilterns. In recent years they've become increasingly common inside the M25 and about four or five years ago I spotted a pair above the open woodland that backs onto my garden. I've seen them several times since but I don't think they've taken up residence.

Essentially scavengers, they were a very common bird in mediaeval London and its probably only the lack of suitable nesting sites that is preventing them gaining a firmer foothold in the city now.
sjs

Post by sjs »

On holiday in mid Wales, we have visited Gigrin farm just outside Rhayader to see the kite feeding. Very spectacular, with literally hundreds turning up on cue for the daily feast.

Closer to home, we saw more than 20 flocking at Barton-le-Clay recently (last NE gasp of the Chilterns), where I suspect someone must have been feeding them.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

What do recommend to feed to attract/encourage. Our street use birdfeeder food from pet suppliers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

al_yrpal wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 1:10pm Here in Taunton I thought I saw a Red Kite whilst working on my veg plot this morning. Kites were released on the Getty Estate in the Chilterns several years ago and have since slowly spread out in all directions.

If you live in Swindon, Bath, Bristol, the Cotswolds, Banbury, Oxford, West London or Hampshire I would be grateful if you could tell me if Red Kites have appeared in your skies?

Al
Across the Bristol Channel, within walking distance of Nash Point on the S Wales coast, we get the occasional red kite over our house. I first saw one about five years ago.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Here in Norfolk I regularly see Buzzards (maybe 6 in a daily ride), but rarely a Kite..... however, last year we put in place a robin box and had a family! One day I looked out of the kitchen window to see a "hawk" on the fence- my Wife said "it must be after the birds!" It saw us and took off, whereupon we identified it as a red kite. The next day I was in the garage and heard lots of chirping and as I emerged from the garage I saw the kite hanging on the front of the nest box with one of his talons inside. When I shouted he took off over the neighbouring field, carrying one of the young :( . The next day he returned, but I scared him off ..... I always support the underdog :roll: I think he got the message, and the remaining fledgelings and parents departed a couple of days later. how many there were I don't know, but I'm planning to add some timber so a kite cannot get near the nest box entrance in future.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We often see kites and buzzards soaring above, and kestrels hovering. The only raptors we are aware of visting out small back garden have been sparrow hawks, which may zoom through all the back gardens or perch in a tree. They eat their prey on the grass and unless we look out and see them eating, the only evidence of a kill is the small patch of feathers they leave. While they are at it, the other birds all make a noise but our hearing is poor.

We get quite a few birds flying into our windows and once a sparrow hawk caused a real bang. It was lying on its back for a little while, obviously still alive but otherwise immobile. The magpies arrived and gingerly approached. Before they got close enough to do anything, the sparrow hawk was back on its feet and a couple of minutes later flew off
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

And I thought it this going to be about flying the other sort of kites.
When my kids were young we had quite a collection of different kites which we took on our caravanning holidays.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Jules59 wrote:And I thought it this going to be about flying the other sort of kites.
When my kids were young we had quite a collection of different kites which we took on our caravanning holidays.
So did I
Before we were married - very many years ago - we used to make kites to fly on Primrose Hill in London.
We made some monster box kites, but these days I just keep a shop-bought frameless kite in my saddlebag in case I see a likely field.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my moto g(30) using hovercraft full of eels.

Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

If the Mrs comes out for a ride with me we might stop off at the 'pleasure field'!!
:wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't know how widespread this usage was/is but once upon a time impecunious colleagues called it flying a kite if they got somebody to accept a cheque in anticipation of the funds being in their bank when the cheque was presented.