Kites?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Kites?

Post by al_yrpal »

Here in Taunton I thought I saw a Red Kite whilst working on my veg plot this morning. Kites were released on the Getty Estate in the Chilterns several years ago and have since slowly spread out in all directions.

If you live in Swindon, Bath, Bristol, the Cotswolds, Banbury, Oxford, West London or Hampshire I would be grateful if you could tell me if Red Kites have appeared in your skies?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Re: Kites?

Post by Jdsk »

South Oxfordshire. Every day. Highest count visible over our garden at once: 23.

One has been tracked going to Devon and back for a day trip.

Jonathan
steve6854

Post by steve6854 »

In West Berkshire they are common. Good feeding round here with all the road kill.

Previously I lived Ceredigion (W Wales) and there were good numbers of there, but nothing like the numbers I see in WB.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

N Oxon, yes absolutely - lots, daily.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Hi Al, we have seen Red Kites here in North Curry on the odd occasion. Maybe twice a year but they are becoming more common. :wink:
Perhaps you have seen our intruder, looking for easy pickings. When I saw one fly over our house what alerted me was the distress in the other birds who were all diving for shelter.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

North Cotswolds - we are seeing more each year. 3 years ago sightings were rare, but are now more common perhaps 2 sightings a week.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

8 years ago, this, one of a flight of three that came over when I happened to be fiddling with a new lens. They're not uncommon in Alsace, but it's always a thrill to see one.

Have we got time for another cuppa?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Driving down the A420 one day, I was surprised by a red kite descending directly in front of me to pick at a meal of pre-squashed carrion. All went dark as its bulk blocked all sunlight. Frickin' huge! Somehow, we avoided each other.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A few in Cumbria last year. Obviously loads in Northumberland and Yorkshire.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In my previous home in S Oxon I used to very occasionally throw raw chicken skin onto the flat kitchen roof and the Kites usually arrived in a few minutes to snap it up and eat on the wing.
DSC_0090_lzn.jpg
I found that raw pork wasnt attractive to them though?

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 19 Jan 2022, 3:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Constant presence here in West Oxfordshire.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 3:07pmI found that raw pork wasnt attractive to them though?
Not even a red kite will eat grey squirrel.

And now that they're so well established we're allowed to say out loud that they do take some live prey...

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

steve6854 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 1:32pmPreviously I lived Ceredigion (W Wales) and there were good numbers of there, but nothing like the numbers I see in WB.
The released population or its descendants recently made contact with the remnant native population in Wales.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Nowhere near the area you are interested in, but we see them regularly here in LS27; they were reintroduced on the Harewood estate 20+ years ago. (They don't announce that type of thing till it's a fait accompli.) I'm fairly confident they are nesting not far from here although I don't say where to avoid alerting the twitchers/gamekeepers/etc.

We also see buzzards high above and kestrels hovering over motorway verges.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Unlike Kites Kestrels and Buzzards are widespread. I have been bombed on the bike by a buzzard in the woods North of Reading. Protecting its nest no doubt. Grateful for my helmet.
At first the Getty Kites were being poisoned by the gamekeepers around Watlington. One day I counted more than 20 over Watlington when someone was obviously feeding them

Al