More Schwalbe Marathon Woes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
borisface

Re: More Schwalbe Marathon Woes

Post by borisface »

Unfortunately, I had bought mine maybe 4 years before use probably from Wiggle. And as I now live in the EU I'm not going through the hassle of sending them back to Wiggle with the Clusterfckery that is brexit.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

simonhill wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 9:32am I reiterate my point.

It often seems that those who have failures have multiple failures. Whereas plenty have no failures.

Statistically this is rather odd.
Not so odd really. This is not a random sample of the population. Perehaps people with just one failure find that unremarkable and don't mention it. People with many failures are rightly annoyed and have commented here. People with no failures are so amazed by the horror stories that they feel motivated to comment. I myself had a Schwalbe One delivered with a sidewall fault but Bikes24 replaced it with little bother and I've not reported it on this thread until now. I also have Marathon Greenguard and have had no trouble with them.
hufty

Post by hufty »

borisface wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 7:04pm Unfortunately, I had bought mine maybe 4 years before use probably from Wiggle. And as I now live in the EU I'm not going through the hassle of sending them back to Wiggle with the Clusterfckery that is brexit.
If we'd all known you might want to send some four year old tyres back to Wiggle after emigrating to Latvia we would have voted Remain.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

I've just removed a pair of schwalbe marathons from a second (third ?) hand bike. They hadn't been moved for a while and in both cases it looks like i've ended up marking the lower part of the tyre wall and tyre bead with the levers.
Before they go back on I'm going to put the tyres on and take them off the wheel rims a couple of times (without any inner tubes) to stretch them. However it does make me wonder if (in some cases) because these tyres can present an issue with some rims to remove and refit, damage can be done to the bead by the tyre lever simple due to the force needed to remove them.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 2:26pm Could counterfeit Schwalbe tyres be involved in this?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fake- ... es.276198/

Jonathan
That thought did cross my mind. I also wonder if some failures were from very old stock.
I saw that someone posted that this problem cropped up years ago then it was sorted by Schwalbe.
I don't think there are any markings on the tyre to show the year of manufacture.
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

I had a similar issue recently (on a different tyre type) which I eventually traced to being caused by a badly worn and slightly mispositioned brake block cutting into the side of the tyre. The part of the block which wasn't aligned with the rim had been worn into a sharp cutting edge. There was only one tiny hole, but after three punctures on a front tyre I worked out what was causing it.