Safest path(?) from Oban to Glasgow?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwdoland

Safest path(?) from Oban to Glasgow?

Post by kwdoland »

From Inverness, the Caledonia Way seems to be both more scenic and with easier grades than the traditional NCN Route 7 over the Highlands. After completing the Caledonia Way from Inverness to Oban, we want to ride through the Trossachs to connect up with JOGLE near Glasgow. Is there a safe route (path?) that parallels A85 and A82? I have read horror stories about riding these roads! Or is there an alternative route (possibly using ferries) that you might recommend?
Norman H

Re: Safest path(?) from Oban to Glasgow?

Post by Norman H »

Welcome to the forum.

Are you desperate to route via Glasgow and the Trossachs? A better option might be to continue on Route 78 to Kintyre and then take ferries to Arran and Ardrossan.

To be fair the A85 isn't too bad, and if you're determined to route through the Trossachs there's no way of avoiding it entirely. Route 78 will take you on quiet roads to Taynuilt but thereafter you'd be on the main road until Crianlarich. Progress between Taynuilt and Tyndrum is likely to be slow because you will be climbing steadily all the way. I've cycled that section two or three times but always in the opposite direction, if you avoid peak periods the traffic isn't too bad. The section between Tyndrum and Crianlarich is downhill. The shortest route to Glasgow would be the A82 to Tarbet and then the cycle path along the side of Loch Lomond. But if you want to see more of the Trossachs National Park, and avoid the A82, I would recommend continuing on the A85 to Lix Toll and then joining Route 7, traffic free on the old rail bed, to Callander. Route 7 can be followed all the way to Glasgow but if you don't mind giving Glasgow a miss there are plenty of other options for continuing south.
kwdoland

Post by kwdoland »

:!: Hey Norman! Thanks for these options. Questions:
1. I wasn't aware of a bikepath along Loch Lomond. Does it start in Tarbet or does it originate further north? Is it a separate path or just a bikelane on the road?
2. As we really like to cycle along any stretch of water, do you have any experience or knowledge regarding the A83 from Kilmory to Tarbet? Seems like a good connection from A78 to the Trossachs?
3. When are "peak" traffic times along any of these highways?
4. Your alternative along Route 7 from Lix Toll looks viable but after Loch Drunkie there isn't much more to see of the Trossachs....
Thanks again for your interest!
K
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

The West Loch Lomond cycle path runs from Tarbet to Balloch at the southern end of the loch. I've not ridden it all but I understand it's traffic free for its entire length, albeit some sections are on a path alongside the A82. I've cycled the section between the Arden roundabout and Balloch, and that was initially alongside the A82 but later on the old road alongside the loch shore. I believe there's a section below Tarbet that's also uses a path alongside the A82.

The real problem if you go this way is the A82 itself between Crianlarich and Tarbet, and in particular the section between Ardlui and Tarbet which is both narrow and twisty with poor site lines, and not at all cycle friendly. Add in heavy tourist traffic including lots of coaches, motorhomes and caravans, and its best avoided if you can.

Re the A83. I've never cycled it although I've driven it. It would involve a fair bit of climbing.

Re peak times. Scotland is a popular tourist destination and the peak months are July and August. In addition some routes get extra traffic on Saturdays when folk are travelling to and from their holiday lets. On weekdays peak hours generally correspond to the morning and evening rush hours.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about the route 7 option and “there isn't much more to see of the Trossachs”. From Tyndrum to Balloch the route is entirely within the Trossachs National Park.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I drove on the a82 in May last year. I would be trying to avoid cycling on it at all costs.
I also cycled from Glasgow to oban via the ferries and Argyll, and thought it was fabulous, so I would second the suggestion above.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I agree with Norman H but would add that traffic is pretty manic on the A82 and A85 these days at anytime after about April. Depends on what you are used to as if you are used to heavy traffic you may consider it not too bad. Very early morning I find is quietest time.
The section from Glen Falloch down to Tarbet is particularly bad with heavy traffic including lots of tour buses, motorhomes, caravans and HGVs on a narrow road with a bad surface on the landward side ie your side heading north.
Glencoe is a regular hunting ground for traffic police after speeding drivers so that should give some indication of conditions.
I have not cycled the A85 or A82 for many years now but use it regularly as a driver.
From Balloch you follow the River Leven to Dumbarton then an old railway line to Bowling to pick up the Forth and Clyde canal.
Geoffroid

Post by Geoffroid »

I would recommend the Arran ferry route. Also, though I haven't tried this, you could get a ferry from Tarbert across Loch Fyne and then follow NCN 75 (via a ferry at Dunoon) to Glasgow.
kwdoland

Post by kwdoland »

Yes, certainly viable, but we would miss out on cycling through the Trossachs. I suppose we could take a little side trip north to visit the Park before continuing on into Glasgow...
kwdoland

Post by kwdoland »

Norman H wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 1:52pm The West Loch Lomond cycle path runs from Tarbet to Balloch at the southern end of the loch. I've not ridden it all but I understand it's traffic free for its entire length, albeit some sections are on a path alongside the A82. I've cycled the section between the Arden roundabout and Balloch, and that was initially alongside the A82 but later on the old road alongside the loch shore. I believe there's a section below Tarbet that's also uses a path alongside the A82.

The real problem if you go this way is the A82 itself between Crianlarich and Tarbet, and in particular the section between Ardlui and Tarbet which is both narrow and twisty with poor site lines, and not at all cycle friendly. Add in heavy tourist traffic including lots of coaches, motorhomes and caravans, and its best avoided if you can.

Re the A83. I've never cycled it although I've driven it. It would involve a fair bit of climbing.

Re peak times. Scotland is a popular tourist destination and the peak months are July and August. In addition some routes get extra traffic on Saturdays when folk are travelling to and from their holiday lets. On weekdays peak hours generally correspond to the morning and evening rush hours.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about the route 7 option and “there isn't much more to see of the Trossachs”. From Tyndrum to Balloch the route is entirely within the Trossachs National Park.

What I meant is that from satellite photos it appears that after Loch Venachar, there are no lochs to ride along until you reach Balloch....
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

kwdoland wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 3:10pm Yes, certainly viable, but we would miss out on cycling through the Trossachs. I suppose we could take a little side trip north to visit the Park before continuing on into Glasgow...
If you want more of the Trossachs, and you're in no particular hurry, there's a route to Tarbet from route 7 that I've recommended before on this forum. It make use of the ferry* across Loch Lomond between Inversnaid and Tarbet.

To reach Inversnaid from Callander cycle to the Trossachs Pier car park at the eastern end of Loch Katrine, either on The A821 or part way on Route 7. From the Trossachs Pier car park there's a traffic free path along the north shore of Loch Katrine that runs between there and Stronachlachar. From Stronachlachar use the road along the shores of Loch Arklet to Inversnaid.

* Summer only service.
kwdoland

Post by kwdoland »

That's a great idea, Norman! I took a boat trip on Katrine 50 years ago and have wanted to return ever since! It certainly seems to be more "remote" than Loch Lomond and perhaps provides a better perspective of what the Trossachs are all about! Thanks for the suggestion...
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

kwdoland wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 6:03pm That's a great idea, Norman! I took a boat trip on Katrine 50 years ago and have wanted to return ever since! It certainly seems to be more "remote" than Loch Lomond and perhaps provides a better perspective of what the Trossachs are all about! Thanks for the suggestion...
The Steam Ship Sir Walter Scott still operates a daily service on Loch Katrine during the summer season.
kwdoland

Post by kwdoland »

This is a tough decision! After considering everyone's input, we have settled on a route that will hit everything on :D our bucket list. See what you think and feel free to tweak it with suggestions for making it even better! Here goes:
1. JOG to Lairg
2. A839/837/835 to Ullapool Ferry (has anyone ever cycled this route? Is it safe?!)
3. Ferry to Stornoway, Hebrides
4. Cycle to Castlebay
5. Ferry to Oban
6. Cycle NE along Caledonia Way bike path to Inverness
7. Join Route 7 to Callender
8. Cycle A821 to Loch Katrine pier
9. Boat trip to Stonachlachar
10. Cycle to Inversnaid
11. Ferry to Tarbet
12. Cycle bike path south along Loch Lomond
13. Cycle to Glasgow to re-join Route 74 on JOGLE
14. Detour into Lake District
15.Continue on JOGLE with detours into Wales
We admit that this is a very convoluted route through Scotland but it keeps us away from the traffic concerns of A78, A82, A83.
What do you folks think?
K
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Looks good to me, I've cycled many of those roads at one time or another and I'd be more than happy to do that route.

In the past I would have suggested an alternative route to Ullapool via Tongue and Durness, with a possible excursion to Cape Wrath. However since the advent of the North Coast 500 tourist initiative there's been a significant increase in traffic on those roads. According to some reports I've heard Motorhomes are a particular issue.

Just a couple of comments:

Section 2
I don't think you will have any problems with those roads but bare in mind my earlier comments regarding NC500.

Section 8
As I indicated earlier route 7 is an alternative to the A821 from Callander to Loch Katrine. Follow route 7 to the western end of Loch Venachar. Where the route makes a sharp left turn continue heading west on the forestry track and continue along the southern shore of Loch Achray to join the A821 about halfway along the loch shore.

Finally, the NC500 has also put considerable pressure on accommodation in the area. It might be sensible to pre book.
kwdoland

Post by kwdoland »

Thanks Norman.
We are each pulling a 2-wheeled trailer behind our folding bikes so we are trying to avoid rough paths. Would the forestry track that you mentioned be suitable? We are 66 year old retired PE teachers with experience pulling these trailers along the Rhine and Danube for 1800 kms...
Finally, are the roads to Ullapool that I mentioned a better choice than the NC500? The plan is to ride that section in 1 day so no need for accommodation.
Thanks so much for following my posts!
K