No Water

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: No Water

Post by Mick F »

Still no water. If I was a betting man, I'd put good money on the fact that we won't get supplies connected until tomorrow.
Yes, shocking service, but we hear that there's a lorry parked up on the main road loaded with water bottles. The chap there, is loading up people's car boots with it.

Mrs Mick F read on FaceBook, that some wag said that they're going to bathe in cider this evening whilst swigging vodka. Typical Friday in Gunnislake! :lol:

Just thinking ................. fire hydrants.
What water supplies them?
If it's the same supply as the domestic supply ............. and I don't see why it wouldn't be ................ we don't have any hydrants operable.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Didn't you have some involvement with the Green Goddesses? The fire service has the capability of running hose reels for some distance from rivers etc
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

philvantwo wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 3:56pm 12 litres of water from a multimillion pound company!! They sold Viridor waste company 2 years ago for 4.2billion pounds, complain to Susan Davy the ceo and request a refund for the water you had to purchase.
Shocking service.
When I lost water all day a month'ish ago (eventually back on 23:00) nobody got anything except an apology on their web site. That said I assume those previously registered as vulnerable should have got some assistance but I don't know anybody so just assume.

Ian
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

You should never assume anything.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

They reckon they fixed it at 1400. Building up pressure to get up to Mick :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rjb

Post by rjb »

Could it all be flowing down the mineshaft, has Mick checked under the cover? :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Please update everyone later on WHY the water was cut off. Also why your road got no warning leaflets. Meanwhile good luck.
sjs

Post by sjs »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 4:35pm
Jdsk wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 11:36am.
.-
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

welcome to the future...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Most likely a burst main, not always easy to locate the burst, severn trent sometimes use a drone. Might have been in a difficult location, access is another issue and if its deep you have to pile the sides of the hole, not an easy job to fix either if it's an old cast main.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

sjs wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 7:45pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 4:35pm
Jdsk wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 11:36am.
.-
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 1:55pm No help, no info, no idea.
Took the doggie a walk ............ I'd planned on a bike ride, but it was minus one even at noon.
Called in at the pub, only to find it closed, and by all accounts other pubs and cafes are closed in the area as well due to lack of toilets and hand-washing. They can't sell coffee and tea either.

Still no water and it's nearly 2pm.
Water off late last evening - 22:00? and still not back 16hrs later.

Mrs Mick F was out in the car this morning, and called it at Tesco to buy bottled water. We had to defrost the igloo car before she could drive it.

Unwilling to light the fire as we've been using hot water to wash last night's dishes, and used the water as well as a bucket-full of hot water to flush the loo today. Although we have a loft tank, we don't know how long this situation is going to last for, and having a fire with a back boiler could easily boil the remaining water in the immersion tank.
I've envied you having a back boiler and regretted not putting one in. Lack of a water supply never crossed my mind.
Sitting by my roaring log burner whilst outside temperature is -5 I think I'll stick with what I've got.
Hope the water is back and on and you're nice and warm again.
I was told a story of a friend's friend who had a small brook running through their garden.
It was there when they moved in but one day it dried up. It seems there was a broken main that had finally been found and fixed.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mick F wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 4:36pm Still no water. If I was a betting man, I'd put good money on the fact that we won't get supplies connected until tomorrow.
Yes, shocking service, but we hear that there's a lorry parked up on the main road loaded with water bottles. The chap there, is loading up people's car boots with it.
For the greater part of my childhood we lived in a house at the bottom of a hill. Infrequently but often enough to be notable the water supply to the houses at the top of the hill would fail. When returning from school in the school bus I remember the suppressed groans from of the kids who lived at the top of hill when we saw the distinctive yellow water bowser (a trailer on a single axle) parked up there again. They knew it meant standing outside collecting water in buckets again.

Very, very, soon after water privatisation the problem was solved. I don't know whether that was because technology improved to allow a solution, or the private company saw the residents more as 'customers' than just an area to be supplied with water as best they could, or.... (I'm sure this will lead to thread drift - sorry Mick)....
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ben@Forest wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 10:00am
Mick F wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 4:36pm Still no water. If I was a betting man, I'd put good money on the fact that we won't get supplies connected until tomorrow.
For the greater part of my childhood we lived in a house at the bottom of a hill. Infrequently but often enough to be notable the water supply to the houses at the top of the hill would fail. When returning from school in the school bus I remember the suppressed groans from of the kids who lived at the top of hill when we saw the distinctive yellow water bowser (a trailer on a single axle) parked up there again. They knew it meant standing outside collecting water in buckets again.

Very, very, soon after water privatisation the problem was solved. I don't know whether that was because technology improved to allow a solution, or the private company saw the residents more as 'customers' than just an area to be supplied with water as best they could, or.... (I'm sure this will lead to thread drift - sorry Mick)....
If it happened very, very soon after privatisation it's very, very likely the solution was in hand before privatisation.

When the water supply to our village was lost for a day and half two years ago our hot water lasted with no baths or showers because the header tank in the loft is quite big. Went to Lidl and got 12 2 litre bottles of water for under a fiver and we used buckets of water from our swimming pool for flushing etc.Not drinkable but 60,000 litres will last a long time for other purposes.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The only water we have in our garden is in the birdbath.