Wordle

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
rjb

Wordle

Post by rjb »

Any players on here. It's getting addictive. And no ads. :D
"Wordle - A daily word game" https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Ray

Re: Wordle

Post by Ray »

Yes, I been playing most days since I discovered it a week or so ago. Fortunately, with only one game published per day, you are not tempted to binge!

Must say, though, I've no wish to post my results here, nor to get engaged in the kind of sub-Strava points-scoring that seems to have sprung up in some places. I do enjoy the challenge, though. Kudos to all who play; just don't boast about it here when you do it in 2 (or whatever) :wink:

I have a fantasy that one day I'll achieve the near impossible and get it right first go 🤣
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Loving it. Tend to do it over the first cuppa, thus saving X words for later in the day. Reminds me of the game around in the '70s called Mastermind, in that each guess is based on the info gained in the previous go. The page here has random word generator and number-of-letters slider...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ket

Post by ket »

Absolutely love it. No ads and no pressure to do any more than one a day. Whole family addicted to it now.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

So, turning to tactics, given that the first go is a virtually a random guess, constrained only by the total number of letters in the word, do players choose a word at random each game - or else, like some lottery players, stick to a favourite... ?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

If I'm struggling and have a few letters I sometimes put in a random word to see if it generates any correct letters. I found today's problematical despite getting the vowels early. :wink:
I usually play whilst having a cup of tea at breakfast. Sets me up for the day.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Ray

Post by Ray »

In the English version it is fair to assume that the word will include at least one vowel (or maybe a 'y' - myrrh, tryst .....), so I get them in from the start, combined with common consonants: eg irate, gusto, ouija.

In the end, however cunning your tactics and how broad your vocabulary, it is in large part a game of chance, not to be taken too seriously. Enjoy the tussle, though :)
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Once you’ve got a few favourite start words then it’s no longer a struggle and is normally a 3 or 4 line to answer. This morning was a 4 line for me simply because I had only two possible words at line 3. I chose the wrong one of course. :lol:
As Ray reminds don’t forget the y vowel like I did the other day and ran me into a 5 liner.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rjb

Post by rjb »

Paulatic wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 12:31pm Once you’ve got a few favourite start words then it’s no longer a struggle and is normally a 3 or 4 line to answer. This morning was a 4 line for me simply because I had only two possible words at line 3. I chose the wrong one of course. :lol:
As Ray reminds don’t forget the y vowel like I did the other day and ran me into a 5 liner.
Me too, done in four

It's a "niche" game. :lol:
Ray

Post by Ray »

I only noticed this morning that there is a 'Hard Mode' in Settings, which states: "Any revealed hints must be used in subsequent guesses" - which is what I'd been assuming all along! The default appears to be 'Easy Mode". This made me re-think, and I used the easy cop-out to advantage in today's Wordle when I'd drawn a lot of blanks in my first couple of attempts. Must admit, though, it felt a bit like cheating!
Ray
gaz

Post by gaz »

Enjoying wordle, particularly because it is limited to one a day.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Played it once. It's catnip - beware, beware!
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I've just played it for the first time and enjoyed it.
As someone said upthread it is reminiscent of Mastermind. One of the first computer programs that I wrote was version of that for the Commodore VIC20. I was very pleased with my version, it over came some of the short comings in the commercial version.
Richard M
Cardiff
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Agghhhhh! It's totally addictive! :lol:
rjb

Post by rjb »

And now there's the number version which is equally addictive. That's the cynic in me. :lol:
https://nerdlegame.com/
Enjoy.