Wordle

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
Vorpal

Re: Wordle

Post by Vorpal »

Ray wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 2:32pm I only noticed this morning that there is a 'Hard Mode' in Settings, which states: "Any revealed hints must be used in subsequent guesses" - which is what I'd been assuming all along! The default appears to be 'Easy Mode". This made me re-think, and I used the easy cop-out to advantage in today's Wordle when I'd drawn a lot of blanks in my first couple of attempts. Must admit, though, it felt a bit like cheating!
Sometimes, if I get a single yellow letter, especially if it's common, like E or S, I will do a word without it to see if I can identify other letters. AUDIO is one I use a lot because it has all the other vowels, except 'Y'.
gaz wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 6:22pm Enjoying wordle, particularly because it is limited to one a day.
unless you https://www.wordleunlimited.com/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ray

Post by Ray »

Vorpal wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 1:02pm unless you https://www.wordleunlimited.com/
That way madness lies😉
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
gaz

Post by gaz »

Vorpal wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 1:02pmunless you https://www.wordleunlimited.com/
I can't unsee that, I shall have to settle for doing my best to ignore it :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Ray

Post by Ray »

I recently came across Quordle https://www.quordle.com/#/ which challenges you to solve four wordle puzzles simultaneously.

Tried it once and somehow managed to solve it. But, valuing my sanity, I think I'll stick to doing one at a time in future. And just once a day :D
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Not sure about it now that it's been sold on to the NYT, how will they monetise it?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

For those interested in how things work there's a nice little article about Wordle here.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

For my strategy I stand on the shoulders of giants. I took the first 10 most common letters as per Morse code. I then generated two words from those 10 letters and use those as my first two guesses. There are a number of two word combinations that are possible, I went for a pair that had a non overlapping spread of vowels, and where vowels didn't appear in unlikely places, e.g. no I as a last letter.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

freeflow wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 1:59pm For my strategy I stand on the shoulders of giants. I took the first 10 most common letters as per Morse code. I then generated two words from those 10 letters and use those as my first two guesses. There are a number of two word combinations that are possible, I went for a pair that had a non overlapping spread of vowels, and where vowels didn't appear in unlikely places, e.g. no I as a last letter.
I don't remember telling you this strategy, but thanks for the credit anyway :)
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

freeflow wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 1:59pmFor my strategy I stand on the shoulders of giants. I took the first 10 most common letters as per Morse code.
As opposed to the 10 most common letters in written English ?
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Yes. Because Morse based his frequency count on five letter words
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've taken the hint from Vorpal and use "audio" as my first word to see which vowels are used. Thankyou Vorpal. :D
I'm also hooked on nerdle now. I'm better at this whilst Mrs Rjb is better at wordle.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I'm getting pretty bored with Wordle already, anyone else finding similar?
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

It's just a guessing game. No skill involved at all. You learn a few new, relatively useless words but otherwise no real scope for development. If you are so inclined you could try 'Advent of code' problems or similar.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

freeflow wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 8:28am It's just a guessing game. No skill involved at all. You learn a few new, relatively useless words but otherwise no real scope for development. If you are so inclined you could try 'Advent of code' problems or similar.
You must have a very limited vocabulary if you are learning new words when you play Wordle.
Richard M
Cardiff
rjb

Post by rjb »

Unfortunately there are a few American spellings creeping into the solutions now and the blatant advertising for a Somerset cycle business yesterday. :lol:

Does anyone do Nerdle, wordle with numbers. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D