Post by Jdsk »

A thread on Active Travel England:
viewtopic.php?p=1667659

Jonathan
Jdsk

Re: Active Travel England

Post by Jdsk »

From another thread:
Imagine your his new Head Honcho. What would you advise him to do?
As above: keep the strong connection to health. And I don't expect that to be easy.

Beyond that it would be lèse-majesté for me to suggest anything to Boardman.

Jonathan

PS: Boardman's appointment is interim.
briansnail

Re: Chris Boardman ....... Go Go Go

Post by briansnail »

Jonathan thanks for the link.You have cat like reflexes.it took 60 secs for you find and post the link.Memo in diary do not race against Jonathan. He is to fast.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

It didn't need any searching... it's an active thread! Along with the third on the same topic...

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Former Olympic champion Chris Boardman has promised to take England’s streets back from motor traffic after being given a powerful new official role which will see councils rated, Ofsted-style, for how well they make space for cycling and walking.
Well good luck with that, Chris - I'm right behind you! But my suspicion is that the your typical motorist (and I have to keep reminding myself that sometimes, I'm one of them...) is just going to get more and more cross, resentful and frustrated with us cyclists and that the figures for accidents will slowly creep upwards as the years go by, as the roads, inevitably, get more and more crowded.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Nigel

Re: Boardman to be Active Travel Commissioner

Post by Nigel »

Carlton green wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 10:23am
pwa wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 8:52am The perfect job for Boardman, and the right person for the job. Pity it is only England.
I wonder why you say that? What does it matter that it’s the perfect job for Boardman and why is he the right person for the job? As far as I can see he’s just a high profile sports cyclist and what appropriate skill set he brings I really don’t know. Just England is a large place and the other ‘home nations’ might well object to having an ‘outsider’, but of course I’d like to see them promoting active travel too.
Chris Boardman's background ? Doing a broadly similar role in Manchester since 2017. Being someone with a fairly high profile in the media where he's usually the articulate voice of the "normal sensible person getting about on foot or on a bike" when interviewed against someone ranting over lycra-wearing-red-light-jumping-no-road-tax-insurance-numberplates-must-wear-helmets. Chris Boardman stopped being a racing cyclist 22 years ago.

Maybe England will catch up on active travel. Scotland is increasing its active travel budget in regular steps over the next few years to 10% of the transport budget by 2025. That's the sum that Cycling UK was asking parties to spend ahead of last year's Scottish elections.

- Nigel
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

What have been the results of his labours in Manchester, has there been a noticeable/measurable impact?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'd forgotten until I read his article in today's Grauniad, that he has something of an axe to grind (if that isn't too unpleasant a metaphore) in that his poor old mum was knocked down and killed by a motorist, back in 2016... :(
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Bonefishblues wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 10:56am What have been the results of his labours in Manchester, has there been a noticeable/measurable impact?
There’s been a lot of talk, certainly. 2021 was meant to be the ‘Year of Delivery’ but it’s not been obvious (though there has been a pandemic), and for example, Rochdale hasn’t started building the first mile of its very modest Beeline plans (again, should be happening this year).

To be fair to Boardman, a lot of this is down to the 10 GM councils’ variable level of engagement, because he had no powers to force them to act. What we’ve got now is a load of disjointed routes which don’t connect nodal points - for example it wouldn’t have taken much for Rochdale to extend the first Beeline plans to Rochdale Infirmary at one end and the sixth form college in Middleton at the other, but these don’t seem to have been considered.

Walk Ride GM have issued a to-the-point statement on this today.
ChrisButch wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 9:44am Possibly the most significant is that Active Travel England will become a statutory consultee on all major planning applications.
Yes, this will be interesting. There are a number of planned developments near us, both as part of GMSF (as was) and others, and none of them have really considered non-car transport. There’s also been an alleged issue about local police forces objecting to developments with modal filtered routes through them?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ChrisButch wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 9:44am
thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 9:29am What does the role really involve? I see the job title includes the word "commissioner" which sounds important (and more English than "tsar") but all the previous schemes to promote cycling have foundered because central government has limited powers over local government.
Possibly the most significant is that Active Travel England will become a statutory consultee on all major planning applications. I've always thought the the missing link in all these things has been a disconnect with the planning system, siince most new local roads are funded not by local or national government, but by developers through Section 106. Time and again in my area the policy aspirations of the local authorities on this subject have been thwarted by the developers of new estates negotiating their way out of any commitment.
My initial reaction to the announcement is the same. Central pot of money will never be enough and subject to austerity drives when other political priorities make demands. But ensuring that new developments include proper provision for cycling would be a major step forward.

I wonder what "powers" or "regard" the planning process will have for this office e.g. Highways seem to have strong influence of planning decisions whereas democratically elected councils (parish/town level) seem to be all but ignored by planners.

Also, will there be a means where general public can draw the attention of the Commissioner to a particular development and its shortcomings? Local knowledge can sometimes identify major shortcomings not so apparent from plans and statements by the developer/proposer. In the past I have written to Council Ecologist drawing attention to planning applications where I have concerns from local knowledge as the Council ecologist cannot be aware of he location of very bat roost, etc.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"As well as approving and inspecting schemes, ATE will help local authorities to train staff in spreading good practice in design, implementation and public engagement. It will be a statutory consultee on major planning applications to ensure that the largest new developments properly cater for pedestrians and cyclists."
"I wonder what "powers" or "regard" the planning process will have for this office e.g. Highways seem to have strong influence of planning decisions whereas democratically elected councils (parish/town level) seem to be all but ignored by planners.

Also, will there be a means where general public can draw the attention of the Commissioner to a particular development and its shortcomings? Local knowledge can sometimes identify major shortcomings not so apparent from plans and statements by the developer/proposer.
The statutory consultation is a fantastic opportunity. It's up to ATE and people who care to make the most of it. There's Cycling UK and there are some real experts on this forum and I hope that they'll all engage with this.

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Carlton green wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 10:23amAs far as I can see he’s just a high profile sports cyclist and what appropriate skill set he brings I really don’t know.
He risks making cycling look like something only Olympic athletes do. A person who's seen to be a cyclist, but looks like someone who wouldn't might get better results. Perhaps someone with a disability even.
I wonder where walking fits into all of this active travel plans? Whilst a keen cyclist I suspect that in terms of hours used by the public in active travel by far the most used is and would be by walkers on local journeys. Bikes are ideal for many journeys over say a mile long and they’re three plus times faster than walking. However people do walk to work, do walk children to school, do walk to the shops, do walk for and to recreation and do walk to and between links in public transport.

Whilst cycling is a part of active travel such travel is about more than cycling and our many ‘brothers and sisters’ who walk also need and deserve a Commissioner who will champion their cause.
This is another reason why I won't support a mad rush for more cycle paths. We need to get motorists off the road with a combination of taxation and traffic-free zones, then leave people to decide for themselves which alternative they choose, rather than feeling they're getting cycling foist upon them.

Making urban areas into a network of traffic-free/access-only cul-de-sacs then linking adjacent towns with cycle paths would provide a better cycle network at a far lower cost, and people who want to walk around town then get the bus between towns would also be well served by it. A traffic-free street makes a far wider cycle path and footpath than anything you can cram in at the side of the road, and it doesn't cost a million quid a kilometre.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pwa wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 8:52am The perfect job for Boardman, and the right person for the job.
Yes, thrice yes.
Obviously I haven't interviewed the other 40 million adults who might have been selected, but I'm happy that he is VERY well suited to this!

[of course this forum always produces a few armchair experts who know better.]
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Nigel wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 10:53am
Carlton green wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 10:23am
pwa wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 8:52am The perfect job for Boardman, and the right person for the job. Pity it is only England.
I wonder why you say that? What does it matter that it’s the perfect job for Boardman and why is he the right person for the job? As far as I can see he’s just a high profile sports cyclist and what appropriate skill set he brings I really don’t know. Just England is a large place and the other ‘home nations’ might well object to having an ‘outsider’, but of course I’d like to see them promoting active travel too.
Chris Boardman's background ? Doing a broadly similar role in Manchester since 2017. Being someone with a fairly high profile in the media where he's usually the articulate voice of the "normal sensible person getting about on foot or on a bike" when interviewed against someone ranting over lycra-wearing-red-light-jumping-no-road-tax-insurance-numberplates-must-wear-helmets. Chris Boardman stopped being a racing cyclist 22 years ago.

Maybe England will catch up on active travel. Scotland is increasing its active travel budget in regular steps over the next few years to 10% of the transport budget by 2025. That's the sum that Cycling UK was asking parties to spend ahead of last year's Scottish elections.

- Nigel
Thank you for that constructive response. I guess that we’ll have to wait and see what he manages to do. IMHO transport policy in this country is a disjointed mess that doesn’t address social need. My local bus services are being reduced and withdrawn due to torturous routes, very infrequent service, poor organisation and lack of use - the pandemic being the last nails in their coffin - making it even more necessary to drive a car. At the same time HS2 goes ahead at eye watering cost.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 9:29am What does the role really involve? I see the job title includes the word "commissioner" which sounds important (and more English than "tsar") but all the previous schemes to promote cycling have foundered because central government has limited powers over local government.
Maybe, but Natural England have effectively stopped all planning permissions for new development in Horsham district (and bits of Chichester and Crawley) over water neutrality. Probably naïve to expect ATE to have the same effect wrt travel mode equality, but one can but hope!
"42"