INSURANCE FOR PEOPLE WITH EPILEPSY

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kirasnose123A

INSURANCE FOR PEOPLE WITH EPILEPSY

Post by kirasnose123A »

JUST BEEN LOOKING FOR CYCLING INSURANCE VIA CYCLING UK RECOMMENDED INSURERS YELLOW JERSEY IT APPEARS THAT PRE EXISTING HEALTH CONDITIONS ARE NOT COVERED.DOES THE PUBLIC LIABILITY COVER FOR MEMBERS OF CYCLING UK COVER EPILEPSY. THANK YOU
nirakaro

Re: INSURANCE FOR PEOPLE WITH EPILEPSY

Post by nirakaro »

no need to shout
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

What type(s) of insurance do you want, please?

And I'd advise checking directly with any potential insurer. It's obviously a factor that might be relevant and might need to be disclosed.

Jonathan
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Have a look at the Pick and Protect home policy from TSB, specficially the bicycle insurance section, and see if there are any restrictions listed for the 3rd party liability section. You can always email them with a query.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

A lot must depend on the type of insurance you are wanting e.g. overseas travel or 3rd party liability cycling in UK ...

for overseas travel insurance: Have you spoken to the insurers. I'm no expert but often the travel insurance "pre-existing condition" refers to medical treatment claims whilst travelling overseas i.e. something you were already being treated for which worsens and requires an insurance claim for treatment.

I suffer "pre-existing conditions" though when I've gone through the questionnaire none have affected my travel insurance. I suspect where you are travelling to will also affect things e.g. within EU the EHIC/GHIC? will provide a fair amount of cover without recourse to insurance claims. Also your medical history can affect things (e.g. how stable your condition is) and when I've spoken to insurers they seem very keen to know what prescription medication you are on.

I'd suggest calling the companies and if you have no success, call CUK themselves as it should be an aspect they should know about and/or be happy to find out more for their own info or web site article ... Insurance companies seem to operate a check list/scoring type system where yes/no answers seem to bring additional questions. If necessary you could also ask your GP/Consultant to write a letter to the insurer calrifying/clearing things.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

For overseas, also ask charities supporting people with epilepsy which insurers offer the best terms. I have to do similar with heart charities each year (well, not last year, obviously).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.