hydraulic calliper separation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mickmitchell

hydraulic calliper separation

Post by Mickmitchell »

The front brake on my Cube Pro lost all fluid from the calliper end. After removing the calliper I found that the two bolts holding the two halves of the calliper had worked loose, allowing fluid to leak out and thoroughly contaminate both pads. I removed the bolts completely, split the calliper, cleaned everything as best I could and rebuilt the calliper.
I know that new pads are required but my question is, do I need a new calliper? Is it likely that a period of use with the two sides of the calliper slightly out of alignment may have caused some damage to the pistons.
The calliper model is Ryde Stroker, which I believe is a Hayes product.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Pneumant

Re: hydraulic calliper separation

Post by Pneumant »

The caliper and pistons should be ok but I can see why you are concerned as this is a major brake failure. I have not known calipers to loosen off in the way you describe, caliper joining bolts should be tight, most likely the same torque (or perhaps more) as the caliper mounting bolts. They could only loosen if not tightened to spec or if they have been over tightened and the thread in the caliper has failed? My experience of (motorcycle) opposed piston calipers is that there is usually one or more caliper seal 'o' ring(s) between the halves. Check that yours are present.
Mickmitchell

Post by Mickmitchell »

Thanks for the response. I have ensured that the O ring is in place and everything is tightened up. My beef now is, as this brake is a Hayes, and the brakes on my other bike are Tektro, I now have to buy a complete bleed kit as the reservoir fittings are different. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the fittings separately, as I already have the tubes etc.
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

I have Ryde Strokers on one of my older bikes and find they are poor compared to newer Shimano on the others. You will need another bleed kit as Tektro uses mineral oil whereas Hayes uses DOT fluid.