Helmets in Spain - The Law and the Reality - Please.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Helmets in Spain - The Law and the Reality - Please.

Post by simonhill »

Stevek76 wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 2:10pm
simonhill wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 6:30pm Pretty crazy that helmets are needed on a quiet rural road, but not in an urban area, seems rather counterintuitive.
A somewhat clumsy effort to target sports cyclists and not utility cyclists I'd figure.
Steve, during my research, I read that this was/maybe due to local Mayors, etc complaining because they have bike hire schemes and didn't want a helmet rule impinging on them.

By the way, thanks to everyone who has replied.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 5:35pm Steve, during my research, I read that this was/maybe due to local Mayors, etc complaining because they have bike hire schemes and didn't want a helmet rule impinging on them.
I'm not sure about that: the helmet law dates from 2004 and the oldest big bike hire schemes I know were Barcelona and Seville which started 2007. I'm not sure that mayors of smaller towns would have the clout to get a general urban exception put into the law.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry, got my history wrong. It was the amendment in 2013 to include urban areas that was opposed and quickly repealed.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'm pretty sure Spain is not the only European country with a helmet law that applies only in non-urban locations. Slovakia for one. I doubt it's an attempt to 'target' anyone, more a common sense view that urban cycling (which includes villages) is primarily utilitarian and will be dissuaded by a helmet requirement (or simply refuse to comply). Rural cycling can also be utilitarian in nature – from village to town, etc – but politics is a matter of compromise.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 8:32pmRural cycling can also be utilitarian in nature – from village to town, etc – but politics is a matter of compromise.
Not really right to compromise by throwing rural cyclists to the lions, but it is what it is and why I don't plan to visit Spain soon.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mxg01

Post by mxg01 »

I spent ten days cycling across Spain September/October last year. Didn't wear a helmet. I don't remember seeing any police, but I was on quiet rural roads mainly. I also spent a few days cycling around the countryside of Murcia, again no helmet, no police. Didn't wear a helmet in Mallorca in 2020 and again, no police I can remember during the week I was there.
Per Terram

Post by Per Terram »

I cycled for 5 weeks around northern Spain (as far south as Salamanca). I rarely wear a helmet when touring so would not normally take one although I did take one to Spain because of the law. When I was passing through the passport check at Santander a policeman very politely reminded me to wear my helmet. I was never asked again or attracted any comment on this matter. Cyclists on road bikes (like the UK) just about all wear helmets. With other cyclists it is a split - although in cities with shoppers and students there are not too many helmets to be seen. Carry one and be prepared to put it on if asked is probably the best advice.
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

Incidentally, which Spanish police would be expected to enforce this? There's several different sorts. On a recent motorcycle trip to Spain it was the Guarda Civil who were most relevant, and also more or less the only police encountered outside urban areas. I say "encountered", but there were no issues at all.
djb

Post by djb »

simonhill wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 3:40pm Hopefully off for a little pedal around Southern Spain for a few weeks mid Feb to end March. I am aware that helmets are required, but not always, so a bit confusing.

As I understand it, helmets not needed: outside urban areas; in hot weather; climbing steep hills; ???. All this a bit subjective, but I presume there are guidelines to what is an urban area, when it is hot, what is steep hill.

Anyone any thoughts and also, what is enforcement like?
Interesting, I had no idea that there was a helmet law there. Good to know. Will these answers change you bringing a helmet or not?

Curiously here in the part of Canada I live in, children are required to wear them, but not adults, but despite that the vast majority of riders, even mom and pop riders, wear them.
It's been interesting here over the decades to see how helmet use has gradually become completely normal and not an issue at all.
Just an observation, as this topic made me think of stuff that I never think of anymore.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 8:32pm I doubt it's an attempt to 'target' anyone, more a common sense view that urban cycling (which includes villages) is primarily utilitarian and will be dissuaded by a helmet requirement (or simply refuse to comply). Rural cycling can also be utilitarian in nature – from village to town, etc
Attempting to make the law only apply to some users seems to fit the definition of target to me, not quite sure how it doesn't? It's quite common parlance to talk about public measures (restrictive or beneficial) targeting a certain thing or group.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Off topic, but in my defence, he started it :P

Quebec is my all time favourite Canadian City after Victoria. What a grand display of gothic structures and ancient pathways through the old town. I used to like Montreal, but now it is just like any other North American urban rubbish.

Now back to your regular prgramme. :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

GideonReade wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 3:31pm Incidentally, which Spanish police would be expected to enforce this?
Guardia Civil.
djb

Post by djb »

Tiggertoo wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 5:24pm Off topic, but in my defence, he started it :P

Quebec is my all time favourite Canadian City after Victoria. What a grand display of gothic structures and ancient pathways through the old town. I used to like Montreal, but now it is just like any other North American urban rubbish.

Now back to your regular prgramme. :lol:
ya, Old Quebec is a neat place isn't it? Montreal is very much like other NA cities for layout etc, but it still has an interesting side to it and the whole French/English mix we live in is as enjoyable for me now even 35 years after coming here for uni.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Looking through Cj's posts, this is his link to the Spanish regs. (It's in Spanish but can be translated by the various apps)

https://www.boe.es/buscar/act.php?id=BO ... 151031#a47

On the matter of the vagueness of that, which is not only down to computer translation he wrote
... Unlike we nit-picking Brits, other European cultures are content to leave their legislation somewhat open to interpretation. ....
viewtopic.php?p=1546679#p1546679

For nit-picking we might read loophole conscious

That reminded me of another of CJ's posts about Spain with a shot of traffic signs reminding drivers of the need to give cyclists 1-5m clearance
viewtopic.php?p=1168400#p1168400
The reason we nit-picking Brits have had problems getting this recognised is writing the legislation would create endless loopholes
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Helmet debate discussion moved to viewtopic.php?t=149584
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom