Helmets in Spain - The Law and the Reality - Please.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Helmets in Spain - The Law and the Reality - Please.

Post by simonhill »

Hopefully off for a little pedal around Southern Spain for a few weeks mid Feb to end March. I am aware that helmets are required, but not always, so a bit confusing.

As I understand it, helmets not needed: outside urban areas; in hot weather; climbing steep hills; ???. All this a bit subjective, but I presume there are guidelines to what is an urban area, when it is hot, what is steep hill.

Anyone any thoughts and also, what is enforcement like?
Tiggertoo

Re: Helmets in Spain - The Law and the Reality - Please.

Post by Tiggertoo »

I cannot answer much of your question, so I will respond anyway. :lol:

I ride much of the year in hot weather, so I find wearing a mesh peaked cap under the helmet helps absorb the sweat so it doesn't run into my eyes.
I agree it is nice to ride sans helmet at times - wind blowing through ones hair (assuming you still have hair) is quite pleasant, but since you are touring (?) you still have to carry the helmet, so why not on your head?
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have not been in Spain since a few weeks before the first lookdown so I am not current. However prior to that since the helmet law came in I have cycles the mainland and Mallorca quite a lot. In all that cycling I have never worn an helmet but I have had one fastened to my rear rack in a prominent position.No one has ever told me to put my helmet on and that includes many police.
Last edited by bikepacker on 22 Jan 2022, 4:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

A thread that ran up to November 2020 with some experiences and a link to the revised regulations from Chris Juden:
viewtopic.php?t=133455

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for the link, Jonathan. It starts off well and ends well, but goes off on the usual pro/anti debate in the middle.

One interesting point raised is whether it could affect your insurance. My travel insurance says "includes using any appropriate safety equipment" but only specifies a helmet for specific things, eg MTBing (and e-scooter, etc). Normally I consider this is OK not to wear if not specified by law, but as Spain do specify, well maybe??

Pretty crazy that helmets are needed on a quiet rural road, but not in an urban area, seems rather counterintuitive.

Edit Corrected J's name.
Last edited by simonhill on 22 Jan 2022, 7:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 6:30pmOne interesting point raised is whether it could affect your insurance. My travel insurance says "includes using any appropriate safety equipment" but only specifies a helmet for specific things, eg MTBing (and e-scooter, etc). Normally I consider this is OK not to wear if not specified by law, but as Spain do specify, well maybe??
That sounds likely: they could well be more interested in the law than in custom and practice...

Jonathan
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I ride in Mallorca without and only once ridden past a Policeman who tapped his head indicated I should put my helmet on, strangely this was in a built up area where they are supposed to be exempt...the majority of local cyclists don't wear a helmet; Children, Ladies and Gents off shopping etc.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
jacobean

Post by jacobean »

eileithyia wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 11:46am ..the majority of local cyclists don't wear a helmet;
Maybe if pottering down to the shops.

But my experience in mainland Spain is that most local road cyclists do wear helmets. In fact, most cyclists in Spain are usually dressed in the full cycling regalia of lyrca, helmet, cycling shoes and even those aerodynamic sunglasses. Decathlon must be delighted!

I fully understand you not wanting to wear a helmet, they can be uncomfortable. I used to be the same but get one from Rudy Project and you will hardly know you're wearing one - super comfortable.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Have recently come back from Gran Canaria and a lightbulb moment was the realisation that if you have the straps really loose a helmet is less noticeable. Who knew?
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
pq

Post by pq »

I did a tour in the Pyrenees last autumn and as I rode across the border into Spain I realised I didn't have a helmet with me. 3 days later when I crossed back into France, no-one had said anything. It was cold so I was wearing a hat - don't know whether that threw people off the scent, but I did have several police cars overtake me.
One link to your website is enough. G
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

jacobean wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 3:09pm
eileithyia wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 11:46am ..the majority of local cyclists don't wear a helmet;
Maybe if pottering down to the shops.

But my experience in mainland Spain is that most local road cyclists do wear helmets. In fact, most cyclists in Spain are usually dressed in the full cycling regalia of lyrca, helmet, cycling shoes and even those aerodynamic sunglasses. Decathlon must be delighted!

I fully understand you not wanting to wear a helmet, they can be uncomfortable. I used to be the same but get one from Rudy Project and you will hardly know you're wearing one - super comfortable.
The OP asked for experiences of it being enforced, I did not ask for a lecture thank you.. please leave that for the helmet debate threads.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Some friends rode flew to Malaga then rode from there back through France in 2017. They'd planned a back roads route but soon found the back roads were largely gravel and the main roads were largely empty, so followed those. On their very last day in Spain, they got stopped by a police officer, who said they should be wearing helmets. One of them had one in his saddlebag, and that seemed to satisfy the officer; the others were told to buy helmets in the next town. As they were only a couple of hours from the border, they just rode into France...
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

simonhill wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 6:30pm Pretty crazy that helmets are needed on a quiet rural road, but not in an urban area, seems rather counterintuitive.
A somewhat clumsy effort to target sports cyclists and not utility cyclists I'd figure.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Only hearsay (picked up from when on a group tour in Mallorca) but if you are involved in an accident and you aren't wearing a helmet the medical team may look less favourably on you. Same probably applies to insurers (Spanish driver's insurers, rather than your own).
Chris F, Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

ChrisF wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 4:10pm Same probably applies to insurers (Spanish driver's insurers, rather than your own).
Do you generally find that insurers LIKE paying out?