Chainset change

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
squeaker

Re: Chainset change

Post by squeaker »

Zebb1 wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 8:42pm The middle ring to high for me. Its OK towards top end but I only poodle along. The chain forever rubs on change push gizmo thing.. No matter how many times its set up. 1-8 cassette. 28 is ok but 30-32 be about right for me.
If you're trying to run the whole of the rear cassette on a single chainring (of an old triple) then IME in gears 1 and 8 the chain will rub on the front mech (others may have a better experience). Which begs the question, what rear cogs do you have? If 11-28 then 13-34 would roughly 'convert' your 38T to an effective 32T and the chain should be long enough as long as you stay off the 48T, which removing the front mech would ensure ;) Finding a 13-34 8-speed (cassette or freewheel?) at the moment would be a different fish kettle, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about chain line...
"42"
Zebb1

Post by Zebb1 »

Thank you yes I get your point. The 48 has gone. So no issues on running on that.! So changing rear cassette is good idea.. I have to check ratio on it and see. Thank you...
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Zebb1 wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 5:07pm Need some help please. Currently have an old ridgeback bullet hybrid.
It's got a tripple set 28-38-48.. I want to change it to a single 30 or 32.. The crank is 175 mm long.
What other info do I need to check to order something on line.
What set do I need or is it universal. Thank you.
Ideally, can you post a photo of your current chainset? If the universe has smiled on you then you'll be able to unbolt the chain rings from the cranks - then it's just a question of bolting on the chainring you want using some narrower fixings.
If the universe doesn't smile on you then it's time to consider other options.
...but I'd need a photo :-)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

20210627_095308.jpg
This is my current transmission. My cranks, when they were new (and owned by someone else) would have had triple chainrings mounted to them.
I bought the cranks second hand and without the triple chainrings, I bolted on a single chainring, but the chain did fall off occasionally. So I also bolted on a chain guard as well, which also keeps my trouser cuff clear of of oily chain.
Last edited by cycle tramp on 23 Jan 2022, 10:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Zebb1

Post by Zebb1 »

Yes it would of been a good idea to post photos and spec of rear cassette. My bad... The bikes been in many hands I guess. Who knows what's standard on it. But I think and hope once I've checked changing cassette would be simpler. Because another consideration is crank arm off set.. I guess. All good fun though.. I've enjoyed adding bits and have a comfortable bike.
It's got a revos ebike kit on it too. So it's easy to switch between ebike and standard.. With no major weight change..

Kind of you to reply.
Zebb1

Post by Zebb1 »

Checked the wheel cassette this morning it's a 24-12 8 speed. So think I go with the cassette change.. Its going to be simplified by going this way.. Then chain can stay on centre ring.. Hopefully staying on.! Thank you once again. Great learning curve...
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Zebb1 wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 10:22am Checked the wheel cassette this morning it's a 24-12 8 speed. So think I go with the cassette change.
You will need to change the rear derailleur then :( Please post some photos of the transmission and 'we' can maybe be more specific...
"42"
Zebb1

Post by Zebb1 »

Hi
It's got a RD-M310 Altus rear derailleur SGS. If this isn't suitable then I scrap the idea... Appreciate the help. Not at home at moment to take photos.

Thank you.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Zebb1 wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 11:27amIt's got a RD-M310 Altus rear derailleur SGS. If this isn't suitable then I scrap the idea...
Looks like you're 'good to go'
Largest sprocket 28T - 34T
although does this apply to older models - anyone?
"42"
Zebb1

Post by Zebb1 »

The derailleur is brand new, if that's what you mean.. Works a treat. Thanks.

Just looked and yes it's compatible with 34T so will have a go, for the price of cassette it's no big deal.

Really appreciate the kind help. Thank you