Chainset change

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Zebb1

Chainset change

Post by Zebb1 »

Need some help please. Currently have an old ridgeback bullet hybrid.
It's got a tripple set 28-38-48.. I want to change it to a single 30 or 32.. The crank is 175 mm long.
What other info do I need to check to order something on line.
What set do I need or is it universal. Thank you.
foxyrider

Re: Chainset change

Post by foxyrider »

A proper bucket of worms!

It certainly isn't as straightforward as just buying the cranks - you will need a new Bottom Bracket as a minimum, the axle length differs between 1,2 and 3 chainring set ups, which is essential if you want the 1x to work properly. I can't tell you exactly what you need but i'm sure someone will be along soon with the pertinent advice.

Personally i'd go to my local independant bike shop who should be able to advise and at the very least supply the parts even if you want to do the fit yourself - buying on line is fine if you know what you need but if theres any possible doubt any savings are quickly consumed with returns/phone calls etc
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

How much experience of bike fettling do you have, please?

Jonathan
Zebb1

Post by Zebb1 »

This sounds like a bigger job of getting it right for what it's worth. I'll take it to shop see what they say. Thanks for info. Really helped.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Out of interest why do you want to change it to a 1x?

It can be a relatively simple change. Or as others have said and absolute bucket of worms. If you happy to have a ‘chain guide’ and bash guards etc. it can be done easily. But you won’t get weight saving or clean looks….

You could of course just ride it in the middle ring?
Zebb1

Post by Zebb1 »

The middle ring to high for me. Its OK towards top end but I only poodle along. The chain forever rubs on change push gizmo thing.. No matter how many times its set up. 1-8 cassette. 28 is ok but 30-32 be about right for me.. I know there is many factors. Just thought I'd ask.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bike manufacturers change their specs almost annually in one aspect or another and equipment manufacturers like Shimano change compatibility too. Even somebody fully clued-up with what would go with what would need an accurate description of your present bike to be confident of advising you. That said, you don't necessarily need to splash out on a new drivetrain that could cost more than a new bike.

If you are confident of getting everything back together if you change your mind, experiment first by removing the front deraileur which should eliminate your problems with the chain rubbing. See how that goes with the chain always on one chainring. If you are OK with that but feel you need another size of ring, check what you have got - come back for advice if you are unsure how to do that - and see what's available online in the size you want. You may have to compromise but shops like Spa or SJSC may be able to help. It may then be possible to ditch the redundant chainwheels, but that might involve sourcing different bolts etc which can be surprisingly expensive.

In theory at least, it's important to get the chainline right on any bike, but any deraileur system involves compromise. Your present set-up will probably have the optimum chainline so sticking with it helps there
Zebb1

Post by Zebb1 »

Thank you, I understand what you mean. Think I probably just do that, I stick with 28. Remove the derailleur. It doesn't jump of ring.. I appreciate the replies thank you.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Zebb1 wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 9:27pm Thank you, I understand what you mean. Think I probably just do that, I stick with 28. Remove the derailleur. It doesn't jump of ring.. I appreciate the replies thank you.
It may well jump off the front chain ring if you take the FD off.

Typically a 1x setup will use a narrow-wide chain ring and a clutch RD.

Alternatively a chain guide/catcher or a bash guard on both side of the chainring to encourage it to stay on (kids bikes often have this). A well positioned FD can act as a chain guide, but you will probably still get rubbing if you are in the small/small chain line.
Zebb1

Post by Zebb1 »

Understood thank you.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I would say that the risk of the chain coming off is many times greater if you back-pedal with any deraileur.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 10:04pm I would say that the risk of the chain coming off is many times greater if you back-pedal with any deraileur.
Not my experience with a 1 x 8 set up on my Roadrat (38T plain chainring). It would occasionally jump off the front ring when using the smaller rear cogs and hitting a bump in the road. Fitting an outer bash ring sorted it. (And yes, the chainline is OK and it was a new rear mech with the correct chain length...)
"42"
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Oh for Christ's sake don't bother. Keep it as triple and leave the chain on one c'ring.
I should coco.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As above but if you really want to change just find a 32 t chainring. Later triple for MTbs were 22/32/42. Had not to find that now. Slot it onto the middle position, you may need new chain ring bolts or spacers. You could knock the teeth off the old 48 and use it as a bash guard to avoid new bolts. Job done.
Modern 1 x systems use fancy chain rings and clutch mechs but you probably won't need such a thing. if you can find a single speed/ 1x chain ring or one without fancy gear changing cut out so much the better.
Cheap Chinese parts will be fine. Try Aliexpress.
Don't get a shop to do it, it will cost more than the bike is worth.
Zebb1

Post by Zebb1 »

Thank you for input, it's appreciated. Yes I know bike shop probably going to cost, was hoping he/she might have something knocking about. I am still looking at options, thanks for info on chain rings mtb. Very useful.