Rochdale canal towpath

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Rochdale canal towpath

Post by nirakaro »

What's it like? I'm thinking of it as part of a longer ride in the spring. I rode the length of it about fifteen years ago, but don't recall it well. And I imagine that in the interim, it's either got significantly better, or got significantly worse. Any reports?
delilah

Re: Rochdale canal towpath

Post by delilah »

It varies considerably. Which sections were you thinking of riding?
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Sowerby Bridge to Rochdale, so advice on any or all of that stretch much appreciated.
delilah

Post by delilah »

The section between Sowerby and Mytholmroyd is tarmac.
If you follow the canal from Mytholmroyd to Hebden you will have a short road section. However there is a better and more pleasant NCN route that starts by the old fire station at the bottom of the Cragg Vale climb just outside Mytholmroyd. This will take you into Hebden through the park where you can re-join the Canal path.
From Hebden to Todmorden and on to Rochdale it is a mixture of tarmac and hard pack.
You will be ok as long as you ride either 28 inch tyres on a road bike or on a mountain bike
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Many thanks - very helpful.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

We used it as part of a linear ride and really enjoyed the ride through Todmorden down to Manchester and out to the Traffford Centre, where we had left a vehicle for return. The cycling infrastructure through Trafford Park, was very good in my opinion. The ride from Tod to Manchester was like taking a ride through the Industrial revolution and the Norths Social history, not just the historic buildings and infrastructure we saw, but the change evident, was fascinating. Some rather beautiful scenery too.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The Slattocks/Chadderton stretch (south of Rochdale) was a bit single-tracky from memory. But I agree it’s a wonderful canal whether by bike or boat - I’ve written a few articles for Waterways World enthusing about it.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
honesty

Post by honesty »

delilah wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 2:07pm The section between Sowerby and Mytholmroyd is tarmac.
If you follow the canal from Mytholmroyd to Hebden you will have a short road section. However there is a better and more pleasant NCN route that starts by the old fire station at the bottom of the Cragg Vale climb just outside Mytholmroyd. This will take you into Hebden through the park where you can re-join the Canal path.
From Hebden to Todmorden and on to Rochdale it is a mixture of tarmac and hard pack.
You will be ok as long as you ride either 28 inch tyres on a road bike or on a mountain bike

Did the canal between Hebden and Sowerby a few years ago. I remember having to cross the road, but no actual road riding. It was a very pleasant ride.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Lots of cobbles at the Machester end, IIRC, which were wet so somewhat slippery when I did it - take care under the bridges!
Chris F, Cornwall
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I'd second the note about the bridges, there is one on the way out of Sowerby Bridge (so you may miss it depending on where you start) that has a series of very uneven cobbles in the "tunnel" that can be very tricky to ride. That particular section can actually be bypassed by going "over the top". Some/many of the bridges are arch style so if you are tall/sit very upright they may be even more tricky!