Help using Cycle Travel

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Steve X

Help using Cycle Travel

Post by Steve X »

I find Cycle Tourer a brilliant resource. I am looking at doing EuroVelo 19 https://cycle.travel/route/summary/162504 and would like to start the route from Verdun or possibly Commercy. I cannot seem to edit the route start. If I change the start location, the whole route changes and does not follow Euro 19 through the Ardennes but takes a more direct it.manually dragging the route back onto Euro 19 is tedious, and could lead to errors, which could be a nuisance if I download a GPX.
Therefore does anyone know how I can move the start point to a different place on the existing route.

I understand how to reverse it, to change the start from Rotterdam to Langres.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Steve X on 26 Jan 2022, 5:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrsHJ

Re: Help using Cycle Tourer

Post by MrsHJ »

Richard will be able to help if you post on the cycle travel question thread.

Having said that I have fiddled with a few of them. It tends to get confused when you move the start so I think what I do is take out all the via points before where I want to start, make sure there is a via at my start point and then move the start to there. Then save with a new name before you do anything else.

For instance I’ve been fiddling with the EV8 Italy route to move the start to Turin. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/282829
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

MrsHJ wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 8:14am Richard will be able to help if you post on the cycle travel question thread.

Thank you very much. Is the "Richard will be able to help if you post on the cycle travel question thread" on this forum please? I will have a look.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Steve X wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 8:57am
MrsHJ wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 8:14am Richard will be able to help if you post on the cycle travel question thread.

Thank you very much. Is the "Richard will be able to help if you post on the cycle travel question thread" on this forum please? I will have a look.
Yes
viewtopic.php?t=128273
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Best thread as linked above.

But I think that you mean cycle.travel rather than Cycle Tourer. As Original Poster you can change the Subject by editing the first post.

Jonathan
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

And to shorten a route...

Click on an existing via point (or a new one you’ve added) at the place where you want to shorten the route.

Choose the little grey ‘…’ icon in the bottom right of the pop-up bubble, and more options will appear. Select ‘Delete before’ or ‘Delete after’. It’ll remove all the via points before/after that location.

Note that a pre-planned route can sometimes change a little after editing (for boring technical reasons) so you might want to review the rest of the route to check that it’s still on course.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 10:00am Choose the little grey ‘…’ icon in the bottom right of the pop-up bubble, and more options will appear.
White on light grey is unreadable. I had no idea what that circle meant until now. Hope that informs!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

I'll look at darkening the grey. I'm always anxious not to cram ever more things in the popup by default...
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Well that's a lot easier than what I've been doing! Those pre- plotted routes encourage a lot of what if planning which isn't a terrible way to spend January evenings.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 10:00am And to shorten a route...

Note that a pre-planned route can sometimes change a little after editing (for boring technical reasons) so you might want to review the rest of the route to check that it’s still on course.

Thank you. It totally alters the route. I am trying a Via Point near Verdun, and follow the steps you have said, no problem. Select Via>Select Icon>Delete Before, as soon as I hit "get route" it moves to a more direct going near Leuven, and away from the Meuse looping through the Ardenne.

Thanks for trying though.
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Help using Cycle Travel

Don't click "Get route"! That removes the via points.
Steve X

Re: Help using Cycle Travel

Post by Steve X »

Great, thanks.