Momentary Heart Rate Spike 223bpm

Carlton green

Re: Momentary Heart Rate Spike 223bpm

Post by Carlton green »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 2:55pm
Carlton green wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 2:35pmWhilst out taking my own expertise I wondered about the value of and risks involved in such high heart rates - burst a blood vessel, etc. During exercise what are the beneficial, healthy and safe ranges of heart rate?
The medical advice is pretty simple and pretty consistent:

Take exercise. Don't worry about that sort of adverse effect. Consider talking to your GP as in the age-appropriate advice from the NHS. Have your blood pressure measured once every 5 years. Talk to your GP if you develop any symptoms that concern you.

"Physical activity guidelines for older adults":
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/p ... er-adults/
There are different pages for different ages.

Jonathan
Thanks, unfortunately the website actually isn’t that helpful and doesn’t answer my specific questions - if the specific information is there then it’s well hidden. The terms ‘wordy’ and ‘waffle’ comes to my mind, but that’s perhaps harsh and the intended audience might be well served by text pointing folk in general directions. Some people do do themselves ‘a mischief’ by overexercising (Andrew Marr comes to mind) and I do know someone who dropped dead when a major blood vessel suddenly broke.

For what it’s worth I try to stick to moderate levels of exercise (similar to the NHS example of pushing a mower) but, of course, sometimes get drawn into higher intensity whilst peddling up hill and pushing myself to maintain a pace. Doctors, GP’s anyway, are busy people who are overloaded by demand. I’m particular fortunate to have a good local practice but in these Covid times they are struggling, failing even, to see patients and really haven’t the luxury of seeing the not clearly unwell for lifestyle advise.
Last edited by Carlton green on 27 Jan 2022, 3:49pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 3:32pm
Jdsk wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 2:55pm
Carlton green wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 2:35pmWhilst out taking my own expertise I wondered about the value of and risks involved in such high heart rates - burst a blood vessel, etc. During exercise what are the beneficial, healthy and safe ranges of heart rate?
The medical advice is pretty simple and pretty consistent:

Take exercise. Don't worry about that sort of adverse effect. Consider talking to your GP as in the age-appropriate advice from the NHS. Have your blood pressure measured once every 5 years. Talk to your GP if you develop any symptoms that concern you.

"Physical activity guidelines for older adults":
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/p ... er-adults/
There are different pages for different ages.
Thanks, unfortunately the website actually isn’t that helpful and doesn’t answer my specific questions - if the specific information is there then it’s well hidden.
I linked to that piece to answer when it's wise to ask for medical advice before increasing exercise.

I don't think that there are any specific answers to "beneficial, healthy and safe ranges of heart rate".

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I had thought that the maximum heart rate during exercise was 220 less your age, so 160 a maximum of bpm for a sixty year old.

The British heart foundation have some guidelines and a heart rate calculator here: https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsuppo ... heart-rate

“Your target heart rate (THR) is between 50% and 70% of your maximum heart rate. You should aim to exercise with your heart rate between these two figures. Your target heart rate will make sure you increase your fitness and strength safely.”

For a 60 year old those (BHF) exercise rates would be 80 - 112 bpm.

There’s some interesting data here too, if from a well known but reputable commercial organisation : https://www.polar.com/blog/running-hear ... es-basics/
Last edited by Carlton green on 27 Jan 2022, 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 4:05pm I had thought that the maximum heart rate during exercise was 220 less your age, so 160 bpm for a sixty year old.

The British heart foundation have some guidelines and a heart rate calculator here: https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsuppo ... heart-rate

“Your target heart rate (THR) is between 50% and 70% of your maximum heart rate. You should aim to exercise with your heart rate between these two figures. Your target heart rate will make sure you increase your fitness and strength safely.”

Do they quote any evidence for those target values?

Thanks

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 4:13pm
Carlton green wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 4:05pm I had thought that the maximum heart rate during exercise was 220 less your age, so 160 bpm for a sixty year old.

Do they quote any evidence for those target values?

Thanks

Jonathan
I can see none on their website but on the other hand they are a well known and reputable organisation whose main focus is heart health. One would expect that they have some idea what they’re talking about.
Last edited by Carlton green on 27 Jan 2022, 4:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Unless I'm stopped or going downhill, my heart rate is almost never in the range 80-112 whilst cycling.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

rualexander wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 6:01pm Unless I'm stopped or going downhill, my heart rate is almost never in the range 80-112 whilst cycling.
From the Polaris site (referenced in my earlier post) the 50 - 70% zones are for very light and light exercise. To be fair to the BHF it appears as if they’re suggesting exercise levels for people who aren’t yet ‘cycling fit’. The Polaris site suggests 70 - 80% for moderate exercise and 80 - 90% for hard exercise. If my maths is correct then for a sixty year old the respective heart rates at 70, 80 and 90% would be 112, 128 and 144 bpm. The max (100%) would be 160 bpm.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 4:13pm Do they quote any evidence for those target values?
ACSM Guidelines
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
David2504

Post by David2504 »

Carlton green wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 4:05pm I had thought that the maximum heart rate during exercise was 220 less your age, so 160 a maximum of bpm for a sixty year old.

There’s some interesting data here too, if from a well known but reputable commercial organisation : https://www.polar.com/blog/running-hear ... es-basics/
These are general guidelines based on a sedentary lifestyle. I am aged over 60, and I know I can maintain a HR above 160BPM for a good while, though I wouldn’t be talking to you, and a rate above 170BPM for a few minutes only, for example when cycling up a steep hill. I can do that because the heart is a muscle and like all muscles it is strengthened through stress caused by exercise, and I have exercised most of my adult life, long distance running and cycling.

What’s more my resting HR is 47BPM. The NHS would describe that as Bradycardia, and did, when I had a short stay in hospital a few years ago. Indeed at first, until I explained my circumstances they were worried about it.
Last edited by David2504 on 27 Jan 2022, 8:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

David2504 wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 8:29pmThese are general guidelines based on a sedentary lifestyle. I am aged over 60, and I know I can maintain a HR of around 160 to 170 BPM for a good while, though I wouldn’t be talking to you, and a rate above 170BPM for a few minutes for example when cycling up a steep hill. I’m comfortable at below 155BPM. I can do that because the heart is a muscle and like all muscles it is strengthened through stress caused by exercise, and I have exercised most of my adult life, long distance running and cycling.
Sounds good. I have no idea what those guidelines are supposed to add in your situation, or those of many others.

Happy cycling

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PS:
David2504 wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 8:29pmWhat’s more my resting HR is 47BPM, it used to be lower when younger. The NHS would describe that as Bradycardia, and did, when I had a short stay in hospital a few years ago. Indeed at first, until I explained my circumstances they were worried about it.
Racehorses have enormous hearts, and are sometimes so bradycardic at rest that the conduction system drops into 2:1 beating of the atria over the the ventricles.

: - )

Jonathan
David2504

Post by David2504 »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 8:33pm
David2504 wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 8:29pmThese are general guidelines based on a sedentary lifestyle. I am aged over 60, and I know I can maintain a HR of around 160 to 170 BPM for a good while, though I wouldn’t be talking to you, and a rate above 170BPM for a few minutes for example when cycling up a steep hill. I’m comfortable at below 155BPM. I can do that because the heart is a muscle and like all muscles it is strengthened through stress caused by exercise, and I have exercised most of my adult life, long distance running and cycling.
Sounds good. I have no idea what those guidelines are supposed to add in your situation, or those of many others.

Happy cycling

Jonathan
Thanks for your comments.

My first thought when noticing the spike post ride was that it was not real, an artefact as you described it. Nevertheless it was a little disconcerting to see a spike above 200BPM even if only momentarily, so I started the thread. Think I’ll monitor for a while and if it’s repeated regularly contact my GP to discuss. If not, just forget about it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

David2504 wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 8:48pmMy first thought when noticing the spike post ride was that it was not real, an artefact as you described it. Nevertheless it was a little disconcerting to see a spike above 200BPM even if only momentarily, so I started the thread. Think I’ll monitor for a while and if it’s repeated regularly contact my GP to discuss. If not, just forget about it.
Sounds very sensible. Or, of course, if it's associated with any symptoms.

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

David2504 wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 8:29pm
These are general guidelines based on a sedentary lifestyle. I am aged over 60, and I know I can maintain a HR above 160BPM for a good while, though I wouldn’t be talking to you, and a rate above 170BPM for a few minutes only, for example when cycling up a steep hill. I can do that because the heart is a muscle and like all muscles it is strengthened through stress caused by exercise, and I have exercised most of my adult life, long distance running and cycling.

What’s more my resting HR is 47BPM. The NHS would describe that as Bradycardia, and did, when I had a short stay in hospital a few years ago. Indeed at first, until I explained my circumstances they were worried about it.
Ah, you have your own set of data and explanations but how do you back it up with supporting academic data? How can you be sure of your safety?

I’m quite surprised that nobody has come up with any other authoritative data, surely if you go to the trouble of monitoring your heart you need criteria against which to evaluate the results?

For what it’s worth I’ve got a resting heart rate of 60 bpm, I’d like it to be a bit lower but apparently that’s already at the low end of the normal range - I believe that that means I’m reasonably fit if still a little room for improvement. The BHF web site does mention Bradycardia and who might have it.

The American Heart Association give further supporting data in heart rates: https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living ... eart-rates . Again they’re a reputable source of information.
Plus US Government data here: https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/ba ... rtrate.htm
Plus the British Medical Journal reports on resting heart rate and fitness here: https://heart.bmj.com/content/99/12/882#T2