What to provide for cycle tourists?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thirdcrank

Re: What to provide for cycle tourists?

Post by thirdcrank »

I think the main tool to consider is a track pump AKA floor pump. Keeping tyres properly inflated is good practice and easier with that type of pump than most that might be carried on tour. eg A rider who had repaired a puncture might appreciate having one available to get properly prepared for the rest of the tour. It would need to be the right sort and either fastened down or only loaned out carefully to avoid it going the same way as kettles and nice bath towels but experienced riders would value having one available
mjr

Post by mjr »

slowster wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 1:19pm I am sceptical about providing tools for people to be able to work on their bikes. Those people most likely to need them are those who do not look after their bikes properly, and who are likely to damage either the tools or their bike (or both) when trying to fix something beyond their competence.
I suppose so, but even people who look after their bikes properly can suffer unfortunate incidents on the road that cause minor damage easily remedied with basic tools: punctures, debris flicked up by passing vehicles into spokes, drivetrain or brakes, and so on
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We've had a couple of threads like this in the past.

I think that if you do what you can to accomodate cyclists needs, it will always be appreciated.

Folks on here may disagree about some of the specific items.

Here are a couple of earlier threads that you may find helpful.

viewtopic.php?t=84120
viewtopic.php?t=104535
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

slowster wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 1:19pm I am sceptical about providing tools for people to be able to work on their bikes. Those people most likely to need them are those who do not look after their bikes properly, and who are likely to damage either the tools or their bike (or both) when trying to fix something beyond their competence.
I carry quite a lot of tools when touring. And at all other times.

That includes a Lezyne Micro pump, but a bigger track pump would be nice.

I'd like a set of hex keys. The little fold-out set are OK but bigger would be better.

slowster wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 1:19pmI would suggest instead that you research what the options are for professional bike repairs in your immediate vicinity. It might be that there is a local bike shop with a good reputation very close by to whom you can direct any customers in need. Possibly better would be if you had an arrangement with a local mobile bike mechanic to come on request, especially if they were willing to come 'out of hours', e.g. late evening, to fix a bike so that a customer can continue their tour the following day.
Excellent advice.

The Velo en France book includes bike shops, Which was very helpful. I don't know how good Google Maps is. Local contacts would be great.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cable ties.

Cooking stove fuel. Or advice on local shops.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

This looks a pretty good list, but with my one amendment in BOLD:
geomannie wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 12:19pm My thoughts.

Essential

Dry, secure space (eg shed) with easy access for bikes.
Power point for eBike charging. You don't need this - but it will expand your customer base if you do it!
Rack to lean bikes against, Sheffield Stand type. Not wheel bender, ie those that you place your front wheel into.

Nice

Lighting
Track pump
Basic tools
Outside tap/hose to wash down muddy bikes

Let us know where you are so we can come & stay!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Paulatic wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 1:09pm A dry locked building is all I would be looking for with some means of keeping bikes separate. I have experienced 'accidental' damage from sheds where all bikes are leaning against others. Availability of some tools a bonus..
Here are two examples of places I use and happy with.
http://alstonyouthhostel.co.uk/alston-y ... acilities/ Home made and work. Accommodating various tyre widths would improve.
https://wayfarershostel.com/facilities/ Yes the often hated wheel benders but I’ve seen this place full of bikes which come to no harm. The hooks for helmets and waterproofs are a bonus.
They both look like good spots, thanks!

But are these "racks" (at Alston) any use with rear mudguards?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 12:52pm... and even more so if you have a tandem, trike, trailer or cargo bike...
Yes, some space for nontypical HPVs.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Agree with most of the stuff already said, but my advice would be FIRST speak to your insurance company.

A few tools could be useful, particularly if they are a bit more chunky than what most of us carry on tour......but what would happen if someone had an accident with one of your tools.

Also, if you offer 'secure bike parking' what would be your liability if anything happened (theft or damage).

All this is very sad, but I think worth thinking about.

Re security, you would have to think how you allow access to the bike shed. If it is just a key on a hook in the house or a combination number, then an early riser would have access to all the bikes in the shed. I stayed in a couple of places in Korea where there were bike cubicles. Each bike had a separate cubicle with their own lock/number.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Maybe things depend on whether your visitors are staying over e.g. a week and day riding from your lets or if they are touring and stopping just one night as they continue on a longer distance route.

My tours are one night stops on a longer route (and I camp) but for me I tend to get up early and depart early. So lockable bike storage needs e.g. a numeric lock to early departing people don't have to return keys somewhere else.

Camping (which I appreciate is not what the OP was asking about) very appreciated facility is a picnic table - something to put gas stove on coffee, eat, lie out on, lock bike to overnight, etc. Ideal is the single unit type with bench seats either side fixed to the table. If it rains overnight and bike gets wet well ride the next day will be on wet roads with puddles so starting on a wet bike makes no difference 'cos it's ending up wet anyway.

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mattheus wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 2:52pm [
They both look like good spots, thanks!

But are these "racks" (at Alston) any use with rear mudguards?
[
Good question
I’ve asked Linda and she says
It all depends but generally if the bike has full mud guards then storing it upright in the blocks isn't good.
If we haven't many bikes in then you can just put it against the back wall or if there are lots of bikes we can hang it on the bike hooks. Which is what we have to do when we have large cycling groups in.
Linda
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As most have already posted.
Secure bike storage. Security camera.
Racks that allow easy acces so bikes are not piled on top or rested against each other.
Tool station, items like multitools can be secured on a long leash... have seen this done elsewhere. Decent track pump again can be secured (sadly not all cyclists are totally honest),
Hose / wash down area.
Handwashing for anyone who may have to do some repairs.
Some spare locks... some of our local cycle cafes keep some locks in for use by customers.

Have some supplies; inner tubes, tyres, multitool, puncture repair kit, brake and gear cables, and some energy bars/gels, some cyclists do like to have some in reserve and if they have used them may want to replenish. Same with some of the items above.

Keep the option open for those cyclists who really do prefer to, to take their bike to their room.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 3:13pm ......but what would happen if someone had an accident with one of your tools.
About the same as if they had an accident with the coat hangers or other "tools" in the room? The insurers would deal with it if needed.
Also, if you offer 'secure bike parking' what would be your liability if anything happened (theft or damage).
Less than if you tell people to park their bikes unprotected on the edge of a public car park?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

....but a cost hanger us something to expect to find in a b&b, a partially equipped workshop is not.

Nonetheless, I bow to your greater knowledge of the insurance industry.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 6:13pm ....but a cost hanger us something to expect to find in a b&b, a partially equipped workshop is not.

Nonetheless, I bow to your greater knowledge of the insurance industry.
A few common bike tools is only a partially equipped workshop to somone trying to make trouble.

Thanks. I don't know it all but I did do a small part of my postgrad at Aviva's Norwich office and the responsible main part of the industry are not nearly as pedantic as scaremongers like to suggest. Most things are either spelt out in writing or as most people's common sense would expect.