What to provide for cycle tourists?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
greenygreenster

What to provide for cycle tourists?

Post by greenygreenster »

Hi all
I run a couple of holiday lets in Northumberland on National Cycle Route 1. In the last 2 years we have had a huge increase in cycle tourists. Our current provision is an outdoor rack and so guests with shiny new bikes tend to bring the into the houses. However, we have some derelict outbuildings that would make a great cycle store.
So I need some help with the following questions:
1. what are the essentials?
2. what would make it amazing?
cheers,
Mark
Jdsk

Re: What to provide for cycle tourists?

Post by Jdsk »

Stands so that they don't have to rest bikes on bikes.
Workstand.
Good lighting.
Hand wash basin.
Good pump with both valve fittings.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 28 Jan 2022, 12:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

My thoughts.

Essential

Dry, secure space (eg shed) with easy access for bikes.
Power point for eBike charging.
Rack to lean bikes against, Sheffield Stand type. Not wheel bender, ie those that you place your front wheel into.

Nice

Lighting
Track pump
Basic tools
Outside tap/hose to wash down muddy bikes

Let us know where you are so we can come & stay!
geomannie
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Keeping it to the point
  1. Put some beds in your derelict outbuildings.
  • Improve the security, heating etc., inside your holiday lets and install some other things like repair stands, decent track pumps and tool chests.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

All I would ask for is secure cycle storage.

Things you might make available in there would be limited to a track pump. Other common tools, perhaps including work stand, might be made available on request which could be listed in the store.

If you have a few rental buildings, consider a separate lockable store for each because I would be extremely peed off if somebody with a rat of an abused bike had access to the place where my multi £1000 machine is stored, especially if it was thrown on top of mine (apologies for the stereotyping). Few seem to know how to stack bikes.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Outside hose and mud brushes
Excellent hot showers
Secure bike storage
Good free internet

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Security is the main concern for most of us. A secure building with a lockable door should suffice. Over and above that dedicated racks for storage are a good idea. If properly designed they allow bikes to be safely stowed and removed without damaging neighbouring bikes. They also provide something to which the bike can be locked for extra peace of mind.

Others have mentioned provision for basic maintenance. I've been to a couple of youth hostels recently that had dedicated repair stations, this sort of thing. That really would be the icing on the cake, although not cheap to provide. It might be mutually beneficial to talk to a local bike shop owner.
slowster

Post by slowster »

greenygreenster wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 10:54amwe have some derelict outbuildings that would make a great cycle store.
Unless the outbuildings are very close to the accommodation and can be made very secure for little extra cost, you might be wasting your money. What you may think is an adequate level of security, might fall well short of what some/many of your customers would consider necessary for their bikes.

It might be better to consider spending money on making it even more convenient and practical for your customers to store their bikes in the houses. Alternatively an Asgard container or similar which can be positioned close to the houses might be more secure (and so more likely to be used) and cost less than making the improvements to the derelict outbuildings.

https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-storage
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

+1 to the above. Also you could increase your income by selling basic snacks: bananas, various fruits, power bars and maybe even a lunchtime pack of sandwiches /fruit etc. A bike friendly gite I went to in Andorra sold spare tubes /tyres and did cycle repairs on the spot. All very helpful

Cyclists are also known to like a beer, or a glass of vino after a long ride :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

People I toured with really liked an Apollo Hotel in NL welcoming us out of their bike garage with a plate of cookies ;)

As others say, essential is decent (not wheelbenders or hooks) secure storage.

Amazing would be describing it accurately on any websites you're listed on (half the battle sometimes is finding who has a suitable bike garage, even on some popular cycle touring routes, and even more so if you have a tandem, trike, trailer or cargo bike), and providing nice things for basic running maintenance, either free for loan, or at cost when available (patches, oil, jersey-pocket-friendly cake, beer, ...).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A dry locked building is all I would be looking for with some means of keeping bikes separate. I have experienced 'accidental' damage from sheds where all bikes are leaning against others. Availability of some tools a bonus..
Here are two examples of places I use and happy with.
http://alstonyouthhostel.co.uk/alston-y ... acilities/ Home made and work. Accommodating various tyre widths would improve.
https://wayfarershostel.com/facilities/ Yes the often hated wheel benders but I’ve seen this place full of bikes which come to no harm. The hooks for helmets and waterproofs are a bonus.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think you need to reflect on motivation, including your own.

My own - tongue-in-cheek - post above was meant to convey the overriding importance of really good security to cycle tourists. Having even a basic bike stolen or damaged can mean the end of a cycling tour. The effect of that is multiplied by the value of the bike or the fact that component may be irreplaceable. Also, the more a bike costs, the more it may be vulnerable to negligent handling. That's all been said by others. I don't think most riders who keep their bike in the bedroom do so for any other reason than security.

Re your own motivation, do you want to attract cyclists but not their bikes? I can understand that some riders who are highly-protective of their own bikes might be careless about other people's soft furnishings and interior décor but it's a bit like accommodation advertised as dog-friendly (except that bikes don't leave everything covered with hair and with a lingering smell.)
======================================================
Paulatic has mentioned a youth hostel and this reminds me that once upon a time, when English youth hostels were restricted to people "travelling under their own steam" the unlocked bike sheds never seemed to be a problem. I cannot remember a time when cars were not banned from Scottish hostels.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I am sceptical about providing tools for people to be able to work on their bikes. Those people most likely to need them are those who do not look after their bikes properly, and who are likely to damage either the tools or their bike (or both) when trying to fix something beyond their competence.

Furthermore, someone on a point to point cycling holiday does not have the luxury of being able to choose when to tackle a bike repair and take their time over it, especially if it is something they are not already familiar with doing.

I would suggest instead that you research what the options are for professional bike repairs in your immediate vicinity. It might be that there is a local bike shop with a good reputation very close by to whom you can direct any customers in need. Possibly better would be if you had an arrangement with a local mobile bike mechanic to come on request, especially if they were willing to come 'out of hours', e.g. late evening, to fix a bike so that a customer can continue their tour the following day.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Basic:

Dry secure storage

Nice:

Track pump
Workshop stand and a bench area
Maybe a chain whip and a biggish adjustable wrench would be handy
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

slowster wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 12:40pm Unless the outbuildings are very close to the accommodation and can be made very secure for little extra cost, you might be wasting your money. What you may think is an adequate level of security, might fall well short of what some/many of your customers would consider necessary for their bikes.
Mine would come into the house with me - wouldn't want it to get cold outside.