What would be different, better or worse for touring?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
horizon

Re: What would be different, better or worse for touring?

Post by horizon »

PH wrote: 2 Feb 2022, 8:34am I'm still not sure what it is horizon is looking for, .
I'm not sure either. I've got two or three longish trips in mind which might need a car (or serious motive power as noted above) but could just about be done by bike. So I'm in the middle, exploring options and of course wading into areas that are unfamiliar to me. While I've been posting (and reading the replies with interest :) ), I've been making some decisions. One trip will definitely be done by car and another by bike.
The Pedalec regulations are set to match the sort of usage an unassisted bike would achieve with more rider effort, it isn't some totally new type of vehicle.
Yes, I'm settling towards a bike and trailer for the bike trip with the possibility of electric assist but the starting point is "this is a normal bike and luggage, now where do I go from here". I'm not so interested in making the cycling easier as in taking more stuff. Having said that, it's easy to get carried away by some of the stuff on the internet in terms of loads and e-bikes!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

horizon wrote: 2 Feb 2022, 11:36am Yes, I'm settling towards a bike and trailer for the bike trip with the possibility of electric assist but the starting point is "this is a normal bike and luggage, now where do I go from here". I'm not so interested in making the cycling easier as in taking more stuff. Having said that, it's easy to get carried away by some of the stuff on the internet in terms of loads and e-bikes!
My newish touring/sightseeing set up is - Airnimal Joey folder, Radical Designs Chubby trailer, backpack. Most of the kit can go in the backpack, the folder in the trailer along with the trailers wheels, it's then easy to use any train or coach, plus many buses, hire car, taxi. If I have any distance to walk, the wheels can be set to make the trailer easy to wheel around. When riding, backpack and kit are in the trailer, just bar and saddle bags on the bike. Trailer is rated to a maximum of 40kg, I'm unlikely to ever need that, though I'm tempted to get a bigger tent rather than use my lightweight camping one.
Newish - As in just before Covid with a plan to get away for a couple of months in Summer 2020, but not moving on every day, so far it's hardly been out of the county on a couple of test runs, so I can't give a long term review, but so far it seems to suit me. The folder has the advantage that even on a day ride I can mix the cycling with public transport (I also have a lightweight bag/cover).
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I'd be worried about charging on tour. For that reason i'd plump for Swytch or Cytronex kit where it's easy to sneak the battery into a hotel or B&B for charging.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote: 2 Feb 2022, 1:22pm My newish touring/sightseeing set up is - Airnimal Joey folder, Radical Designs Chubby trailer, backpack.
That sounds great. I've had a look at the Radical Designs website - really interesting.

At the moment I'm tending towards:

Full size bike (MTB)
Gear ratios down to 17"
Trailer (completely open at the moment but looking at Topeak, Chubby, Bob)
All four panniers on bike
Total luggage weight 35 kg.
Weight distribution: 5 kg front 10 kg rear 20 kg trailer
I'm tempted to get a bigger tent rather than use my lightweight camping one.
That's broadly my plan too, maybe an extra stove, extra set of clothes for visiting and so on. Not a major change but enough for a comfortable longer trip with extended stays.

If the increase from 25 kg to 35 kg isn't feasible, or even just with the 25 kg, the next step will be to look at e-assist, most likely a front wheel kit like this one:
https://electric-bike-conversions.co.uk ... 6354342026
(or even Swytch as suggested).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Woosh kit is better value when you compare battery capacities.
stodd

Post by stodd »

UpWrong wrote: 2 Feb 2022, 8:45pm I'd be worried about charging on tour. For that reason i'd plump for Swytch or Cytronex kit where it's easy to sneak the battery into a hotel or B&B for charging.
Are you concerned about size of a removable battery (in which case you will be limited to a small battery kit (such as Swytch or Cytronex)?
I don't think you'd have difficulty sneaking in even a larger removable battery; as you pointed out above you'll get much better value with a Woosh kit or similar. Of course, that depends on your exact riding style.

If you are concerned about non-removable batteries the problems won't be just on tour. If you keep the bike in a garage charging in colder winter days is probably a nono.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

"Total luggage weight 35 kg.
!!!

Crikey, my all up camping touring luggage weight is about 16kg. I think you ought to leave out the bath .... :lol: :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

stodd wrote: 3 Feb 2022, 10:01am
UpWrong wrote: 2 Feb 2022, 8:45pm I'd be worried about charging on tour. For that reason i'd plump for Swytch or Cytronex kit where it's easy to sneak the battery into a hotel or B&B for charging.
Are you concerned about size of a removable battery (in which case you will be limited to a small battery kit (such as Swytch or Cytronex)?
I don't think you'd have difficulty sneaking in even a larger removable battery; as you pointed out above you'll get much better value with a Woosh kit or similar. Of course, that depends on your exact riding style.

If you are concerned about non-removable batteries the problems won't be just on tour. If you keep the bike in a garage charging in colder winter days is probably a nono.
I bought a 15Ah Woosh rear hub and rack kit. Battery is heavy and large. I think I'd prefer a lighter, smaller, easily detachable battery if touring.
hamish

Post by hamish »

I have a Tern GSD

I use it as a car replacement vehicle. It is a brilliant bike and I really enjoy riding it. It takes a huge load and sometimes I ride somewhere nice with my pack raft and go for a paddle. Apart from that I have never used it for touring or day rides. Every ride I use it for has a purpose and ‘pleasure’ rides and touring are done on my other bikes.

I have wondered, through, if I could pack a load of gear in it and use it to get ride in to the hills for walking/mountaineering trips for which I would otherwise use a car. I wouldn’t need a trailer as the bike can carry so much stuff.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

An interesting thread - a couple of other things:
> electric bikes are more desirable for the light fingered so deterent methods may need reviewing?
> adding electric power/motors to a bike is tripling the complexity of an otherwise simple machine - overall reliability is therefore lessened which may or may not be a concern.

I've recently gone 'ebike' after many years and thousands of miles unassisted touring - I'd be thinking long and hard about all the parameters involved in touring on an ebike for sure!
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

bikes4two wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 4:58pm An interesting thread - a couple of other things:
> electric bikes are more desirable for the light fingered so deterent methods may need reviewing?
> adding electric power/motors to a bike is tripling the complexity of an otherwise simple machine - overall reliability is therefore lessened which may or may not be a concern.

I've recently gone 'ebike' after many years and thousands of miles unassisted touring - I'd be thinking long and hard about all the parameters involved in touring on an ebike for sure!
I came across two Spanish girls cycle touring last year on sit up and beg ebikes. They were covering a fair mileage every day (about 70 miles) and they both said they wouldn't have attempted it on a regular non assist bike.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

al_yrpal wrote: 3 Feb 2022, 10:16am "Total luggage weight 35 kg.
!!!

Crikey, my all up camping touring luggage weight is about 16kg. I think you ought to leave out the bath .... :lol: :lol:

Al
Absolutely, that's a heck of a lot of gear! I've refined my camping kit over the years (buying all my lightweight gear mostly from good Chinese sources) down to 4kg for tent /sleeping bag/mat/stove/cutlery/toiletries. I buy my fuel on the go as I need it. We only really cycle camp in summer, so a two season light bag is enough.

On top of that I'll carry another 1.5 kilos of clothing /crocs and another kilo of spare tubes /essential tools. Including the bags my total cargo is under 7kg. Bike and the rack just over 11kg.

That 'extra' 22kg you are carrying is going to punish you on the hills, lightweight camping tech has come on leaps and bounds in the last decade. I'd give it a go before you splash the cash on an ebike, which you might find difficult charging in certain European destinations. My entire lightweight camp set up cost me about £500. Happy to provide links.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I've been using these Naturehike tents for a few years now, and they are excellent. Trail weight two man tent is about 1.3kg, very roomy and they go up/down very quickly and easily. You can get this down to 1.1kg by ditching the spares /extra guy lines and swapping the pegs out for lightweight aluminium or even carbon.

There used to be a distributor in Germany with even cheaper prices, but at £129.99 its a bargain still. They are 2D Silicon outers, never let in rain. And they will take a fair amount of abuse.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naturehike-Lig ... B08GSD324T

Also available slightly cheaper on amazon.co.uk