Helmet debate from Helmets in Spain thread

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
mattheus

Helmet debate from Helmets in Spain thread

Post by mattheus »

moderator note: this thread was split from viewtopic.php?p=1669570#p1669570
djb wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 1:42pm It's been interesting here over the decades to see how helmet use has gradually become completely normal and not an issue at all.
Just an observation, as this topic made me think of stuff that I never think of anymore.
I think I'd say "common-place" i.e. plenty don't wear them (more so in some niches/activities than others, of course).
[Edit: halfway through typing, I forgot that djb is in Canada! Apologies. My post is about the UK.]

During the pandemic - which of course saw an initial huge surge in leisure cycling - I think I've seen a plateauing in public "pro-helmet" opinion. Now on platforms like twitter it's normal to hear folks annoyed by helmet-shaming. If a motorist criticises non-lid wearers, you now get
MORE people promoting CHOICE
than throwing insults at "idiots who don't care about their brains" etc etc ...

And it's been a while since a random stranger ranted about my bare head.

SORRY THREAD DIVERSION - but HE STARTED IT SIR, NOT ME!!!
Last edited by mattheus on 29 Jan 2022, 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
djb

Re: Helmets in Spain - The Law and the Reality - Please.

Post by djb »

Mattheuse, its so rare to see cyclists here without helmets, its really a non issue.
Cycling culture here in Quebec is quite strong, so lots of car drivers bike also, so are generally polite and ive never heard of no helmet comments. Im sure there are some, but really, helmet use is like putting on a car seat belt now, its not an issue.

from the answers here, it does seem that in Spain its not strictly enforced, but Im sure that depends on the specific policia that you'd meet. Makes me think of cycling on large highways/motorways in Latin America, often ignored by police, but you just never know.
mjr

Post by mjr »

djb wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 4:49pm Mattheuse, its so rare to see cyclists here without helmets, its really a non issue.
Cycling culture here in Quebec is quite strong, so lots of car drivers bike also, so are generally polite and ive never heard of no helmet comments. Im sure there are some, but really, helmet use is like putting on a car seat belt now, its not an issue.
Helmets are nowhere near as effective as seatbelts and Quebec's cycling prevalence and mode share are in the gutter: the highest prevalence (Greater Montreal) is only just over 25% riding in any year, the highest pre-covid modal share (13% in Plateau-Mont-Royal) is only slightly higher than the average of the small English village of South Wootton, and the second-highest is only 9%, below it. During covid, hobby cycling increased but transport cycling (where helmets are more of a nuisance) actually deceased.

The helmet-promoting motorist has got their way in Quebec. Let's hope Spain escapes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tiggertoo

Helmets in Spain - The Law and the Reality - Please.

Post by Tiggertoo »

"helmet-promoting motorist"
I'm quite sure I have never seen a motorist wearing a helmet, where have you, please?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tiggertoo wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 8:24pm "helmet-promoting motorist"
I'm quite sure I have never seen a motorist wearing a helmet, where have you, please?
There are certain websites... but no, in general, they promote other road users using them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
djb

Post by djb »

mjr wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 5:42pm Helmets are nowhere near as effective as seatbelts and Quebec's cycling prevalence and mode share are in the gutter: the highest prevalence (Greater Montreal) is only just over 25% riding in any year, the highest pre-covid modal share (13% in Plateau-Mont-Royal) is only slightly higher than the average of the small English village of South Wootton, and the second-highest is only 9%, below it. During covid, hobby cycling increased but transport cycling (where helmets are more of a nuisance) actually deceased.

The helmet-promoting motorist has got their way in Quebec. Let's hope Spain escapes.
I was just referring to not thinking of putting on a helmet like doing up a car seatbelt, but it seems that you have strong views on this, so I'll leave you folks to it.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Tiggertoo wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 8:24pm "helmet-promoting motorist"
I've seen drivers of "sports cars" such as Caterham wearing them.
But more importantly, there are plenty ways to promote something without wearing that thing. N'est ce pas?
Tiggertoo

Re: Helmet debate from Helmets in Spain thread

Post by Tiggertoo »

As long as there is no law requiring helmets, I believe it is up to the individual. I always wear one, and I don't care if another does not.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tiggertoo wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 4:36pm As long as there is no law requiring helmets, [...]
There is, in Spain. As such, that increasingly cycling-hostile country is best avoided.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mjr wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 5:45pm
Tiggertoo wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 4:36pm As long as there is no law requiring helmets, [...]
There is, in Spain. As such, that increasingly cycling-hostile country is best avoided.
Ha! You walked right into that one, Tiggertoo :P
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

djb wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 1:42pm It's been interesting here over the decades to see how helmet use has gradually become completely normal and not an issue at all.
Just an observation, as this topic made me think of stuff that I never think of anymore.
That it's been normalised doesn't mean there are no issues with it. If everyone wears one you have no information on how many other people might be cycling if they didn't have to wear one (whether through legal or cultural pressure).

Having to wear a helmet isn't like wearing a seatbelt, because seatbelts are built in to the car, don't ever get sweaty, don't need storing about one's person after a drive, don't need replacing every ~4 years even if nothing much happens to them, don't mess up hair & conflict with preferences for personal appearance and don't broadcast a suggestion that driving is dangerous and remarkably productive of head injury. Any of those things can be a barrier to cycling for some people, and everyone who is put off is an own goal against public health and the environment.

Helmets for motorcycling are completely normalised in the UK. Lots of people choose to not motorcycle though.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

moderator note: this thread was split from viewtopic.php?p=1669570#p1669570

Hooray! With my thanks to whoever undertook the work.
djb

Post by djb »

wow, I had no idea you guys have a whole area for talking about helmets.

obviously some of you have issues with wearing helmets, guess all I can say is that I choose to wear one. I ride every day in traffic etc and know the brain injury risk is less with one if I go down in a certain way.
Some people here don't, that's one choice.
None of you are friends or people I care about, so wear one or not. Assess the risk of specific riding, just as most Dutch people do.
It's up to you and I have no opinion on what you internet folks do.

I'll leave you guys and gals to this, off soon on two wheels this Canadian Feb morning, -17c with wind chill at -28c, so as well as having my mirror on it and offering some head protection, my helmet helps keep my head warm.

safe and enjoyable riding, that's what we do share in bicycle forums, is the joy of riding these two wheeled things.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

mjr wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 5:45pm
I don't consider it ethical to take one part of another's post and use it to your advantage.
horizon

Post by horizon »

djb wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 2:08pm I'll leave you guys and gals to this, off soon on two wheels this Canadian Feb morning, -17c with wind chill at -28c, so as well as having my mirror on it and offering some head protection, my helmet helps keep my head warm.
Watch out for the lorries.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher