Can the Met be trusted?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ossie

Re: Can the Met be trusted?

Post by ossie »

pete75 wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 6:00pm Getting on for a thousand Met officers to be investigated. It can't be a problem confined to the police in London.
When having dealings with an officer how can anyone know if it's one who is relatively decent and honest or one who is not?
Can a woman driving on a remote rural road be expected to stop if requested so to do by an officer?

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/hundre ... 023-01-17/
The article is incorrect as are you jumping to conclusions. The truth of the matter is that allegations against 800 officers over the last ten years are being reviewed, not investigated but reviewed. The 1000 you refer to include 'police staff' not just police officers. . So that's an average of 80 'allegations or reports' a year which equates to 0.23% of the force year on year. Fortunately the Evening Standard are reporting the 'facts' they also report some of the allegations are no more than 'raised voices' in a domestic environment.

Shocking as this incident was (and it was all in his private life) your 'woman lonely road scenario' is complete an utter mischief making, shame on you.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ossie wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 9:21pm
pete75 wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 6:00pm Getting on for a thousand Met officers to be investigated. It can't be a problem confined to the police in London.
When having dealings with an officer how can anyone know if it's one who is relatively decent and honest or one who is not?
Can a woman driving on a remote rural road be expected to stop if requested so to do by an officer?

The article is incorrect as are you jumping to conclusions. The truth of the matter is that allegations against 800 officers over the last ten years are being reviewed, not investigated but reviewed. The 1000 you refer to include 'police staff' not just police officers. . So that's an average of 80 'allegations or reports' a year which equates to 0.23% of the force year on year. Fortunately the Evening Standard are reporting the 'facts' they also report some of the allegations are no more than 'raised voices' in a domestic environment.

Shocking as this incident was (and it was all in his private life) your 'woman lonely road scenario' is complete an utter mischief making, shame on you.
Is it? Metropolitan police advice is that women should “run away” if they feel unsafe in the presence of a lone police officer, not too far away from not stopping on a lonely road.

https://www.indy100.com/news/sarah-ever ... n-b1930527

The metropolitan police commissioner himself says he has hundreds of officers who shouldn't be there. This is a long standing problem. Years ago a former commissioner, Sir Robert Mark, described his ambition as to "arrest more criminals than we employ".
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The Turnaround Plan" and a survey:
https://news.met.police.uk/news/commiss ... met-460662

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

LESS CRIME
We will deliver Less Crime for the
public.

Odd phraseology.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 6:16pm LESS CRIME
public.

Odd phraseology.
Echoes of Sir Robert Mark....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 6:55pm
public.

Odd phraseology.
Tyre sales?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 7:02pm
pete75 wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 6:55pm
public.

Odd phraseology.
Tyre sales?
Met Police Commissioner appointed to root out corruption who said his ambition was to "arrest more criminals than we employ".
ossie

Post by ossie »

pete75 wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 12:09am

Is it? Metropolitan police advice is that women should “run away” if they feel unsafe in the presence of a lone police officer, not too far away from not stopping on a lonely road.

The metropolitan police commissioner himself says he has hundreds of officers who shouldn't be there. This is a long standing problem. Years ago a former commissioner, Sir Robert Mark, described his ambition as to "arrest more criminals than we employ".
Your report refers to being stopped by a single plain clothes officer. Do many single plain clothes officers on remote rural roads stop women ? - answer NO.

(this is the answer from reality land not your head)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ossie wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 10:49pm
pete75 wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 12:09am

Your report refers to being stopped by a single plain clothes officer. Do many single plain clothes officers on remote rural roads stop women ? - answer NO.

(this is the answer from reality land not your head)
Methinks you protest too much. Not a police officer by any chance are you? Certainly women I've mentioned this to say they'd be very wary of stopping. for a single male police officer in uniform or not. The police are losing the trust of the public and if you're a police officer who thinks they aren't you're a fool.
ossie

Post by ossie »

pete75 wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 11:18pm
Methinks you protest too much. Not a police officer by any chance are you? Certainly women I've mentioned this to say they'd be very wary of stopping. for a single male police officer in uniform or not. The police are losing the trust of the public and if you're a police officer who thinks they aren't you're a fool.
Of course you must be in conversation with lots of women over the subject which quite frankly is bizarre.

As far as I'm aware there has never been a case of a female accosted by a unformed officer on a lonely road or anywhere in recent times. Notwithstanding there are 50,000 female officers you are clearly struggling with your police prejudice. If you're putting this in the mind of your female friends then it's you who are the fool. They should be more aware of their Taxi or Uber driver or the stranger at the bar who might interfere with their drink than a uniformed police officer with a GPS tracked radio/ vehicle and has already consented to giving their DNA to the police data base.

For context I have two grown up daughters and a son who grew up in a town with the biggest UK night time economy, enjoyed it to the hilt and have a vast network of female friends. One works in London. They probably understand things better than you ever will and no they don't have an issue with the Police unlike you.

One can only presume you got busted for something and just can't let it go :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Met Police won’t reveal abuse claims against its own sexual violence unit :- https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/freedo ... ick-trial/
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ossie wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 12:25am
pete75 wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 11:18pm
Of course you must be in conversation with lots of women over the subject which quite frankly is bizarre.

As far as I'm aware there has never been a case of a female accosted by a unformed officer on a lonely road or anywhere in recent times. Notwithstanding there are 50,000 female officers you are clearly struggling with your police prejudice. If you're putting this in the mind of your female friends then it's you who are the fool. They should be more aware of their Taxi or Uber driver or the stranger at the bar who might interfere with their drink than a uniformed police officer with a GPS tracked radio/ vehicle and has already consented to giving their DNA to the police data base.

For context I have two grown up daughters and a son who grew up in a town with the biggest UK night time economy, enjoyed it to the hilt and have a vast network of female friends. One works in London. They probably understand things better than you ever will and no they don't have an issue with the Police unlike you.

One can only presume you got busted for something and just can't let it go :wink:
Busted for something , no never. It's you who's a fool if you don't think the police are losing the trust of the public, and until officers realise this they'll never recover that trust.

What I also dislike about the police is they don't investigate most crimes. If your car is broken into or your house burgled the only reason to contact the police is to get a crime number for the insurance. Just what are we paying them for?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

@pete75

I assumed this quite recent post was a bit of an explanation of your views.
pete75 wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 10:00pm
cycle tramp wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 8:54pm
Let's flip the tables a moment, and wind the clock back some thirty years... you see me and my mates carrying crash helmets, there's five of us, and we're walking towards you on your side of the pavement and we're alittle loud, jeans are a little oil stained and ripped, some of us are hairy (although back then, I had taken to shaving my head) and because we've taken our leathers off you can see some tattoos on our arms... what are your thoughts as we approach you?
Over 40 years ago for me. Young bikers really picked on by the local police. Didn't the idiots realise that would taint their reputation for life amongst a generation of young men - or maybe it just give us a realistic view of police officers.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 1:44pm @pete75

I assumed this quite recent post was a bit of an explanation of your views.
pete75 wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 10:00pm
cycle tramp wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 8:54pm
Let's flip the tables a moment, and wind the clock back some thirty years... you see me and my mates carrying crash helmets, there's five of us, and we're walking towards you on your side of the pavement and we're alittle loud, jeans are a little oil stained and ripped, some of us are hairy (although back then, I had taken to shaving my head) and because we've taken our leathers off you can see some tattoos on our arms... what are your thoughts as we approach you?
Over 40 years ago for me. Young bikers really picked on by the local police. Didn't the idiots realise that would taint their reputation for life amongst a generation of young men - or maybe it just give us a realistic view of police officers.
Yes, but I never got "busted" for anything apart from speeding. If somebody really is breaking the law and are arrested and charged , why should they hold that against the police? They're doing something wrong, are caught and punished - its what's meant to happen and the police involved are merely doing their duty. Continually harassing people who are doing nothing wrong is an entirely different matter. Those incidents showed me that the Police weren't all good.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You are entitled to hold whatever views you please as far as I'm concerned so IMO there's no suggestion from me that you have to defend them. OTOH, that did seem a fairly explicit personal explanation of your frequently expressed antipathy towards the police and not one you were manoeuvred into. I wouldn't want to argue about the meaning or etymology of "busted".

I can understand that somebody who felt they had been badly treated by the police would feel resentful.