Can the Met be trusted?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Slowtwitch

Can the Met be trusted?

Post by Slowtwitch »

In what looks everyday, as it slowly, sickeningly unfolds the police investigation into Partygate is another monumental whitewash.

Is it naive to think the Metropolitan police will investigate their employers without 'fear of favour'? Surely another force should be leading the investigation? I see trouble ahead.
Tangled Metal

Re: Can the Met be trusted?

Post by Tangled Metal »

All forces are ultimately under political scrutiny so what does it matter which force looks into it? If the CD was at the parties with other senior officers then perhaps another force would need to do it.

Of course the very nature of police investigation means they don't have to and there isn't an advantage in keeping you informed in what they're doing. As a result without knowing what they're doing there's a big danger that personal or political prejudices can creep in and you make judgements before it's technically possible to do so.

Give them time to wade through everything and do their job. You might be pleasantly surprised, although suspect you won't. Anything short of boris' head on traitors Gate might be deemed collusion by the OP. Sorry of that's unfair but it's the impression that I get by your post.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

PS can our ex policemen (and women if there are any) give a fairer opinion on the police investigation and perhaps what they're actually doing other than the usual trope of covering up for their political masters.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Over the past couple of weeks I have seen short TV interviews with people who were prosecuted for having small gatherings outside, to celebrate birthdays and so forth. Not large scale raves or anything like that, just four or five people gathering in a garden and getting nabbed for it. When the MET do reach the end of this process, those folk will be on TV again for comparisons to be made, and if treatment of those on the lawn of Number 10 seems more lenient, there will be uproar. The MET, the Home Secretary and everyone involved must know that.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 7:13am PS can our ex policemen (and women if there are any) give a fairer opinion on the police investigation and perhaps what they're actually doing other than the usual trope of covering up for their political masters.
A view from a police insider, either current or former, is hardly likely to be fair.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

pwa wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 7:34am Over the past couple of weeks I have seen short TV interviews with people who were prosecuted for having small gatherings outside, to celebrate birthdays and so forth. Not large scale raves or anything like that, just four or five people gathering in a garden and getting nabbed for it. When the MET do reach the end of this process, those folk will be on TV again for comparisons to be made, and if treatment of those on the lawn of Number 10 seems more lenient, there will be uproar. The MET, the Home Secretary and everyone involved must know that.
The media are saying that if Boris & co are found to have broken the Regulations, they will be issued with FPNs like lesser mortals were.
pwa

Post by pwa »

DaveReading wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 8:10am
pwa wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 7:34am Over the past couple of weeks I have seen short TV interviews with people who were prosecuted for having small gatherings outside, to celebrate birthdays and so forth. Not large scale raves or anything like that, just four or five people gathering in a garden and getting nabbed for it. When the MET do reach the end of this process, those folk will be on TV again for comparisons to be made, and if treatment of those on the lawn of Number 10 seems more lenient, there will be uproar. The MET, the Home Secretary and everyone involved must know that.
The media are saying that if Boris & co are found to have broken the Regulations, they will be issued with FPNs like lesser mortals were.
Which seems about right. Then the Conservative Party and the Electorate can pass their own judgment on a PM who has acquired a FPN for not adhering to the Coronavirus restrictions. I don't think he can get away with this. He is paying a political price at some point.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

The police and politicians have plenty of 'form'. Remember 'plebgate'? Though it was found that Andrew Mitchell had used the word 'pleb' or something similar several police officers were dismissed for offences ranging from leaking information to The Sun to sending text messages suggesting they wanted to bring a government minister down.

Interesting that Mitchell has been the 'reasoned' Johnson must go voice on radio this morning. A man who is undoubtedly a snob and probably not very pleasant, and who has weathered claims of tax avoidance telling us about Johnson's lack of probity.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

DaveReading wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 8:10am
We don't know which offences are being investigated. They might only be those which can be handled with FPNs. They might not. There was a flurry last week that suspicion of more serious offences might be the explanation for the police action, but it was sort of denied later.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 7:11am All forces are ultimately under political scrutiny so what does it matter which force looks into it? If the CD was at the parties with other senior officers then perhaps another force would need to do it.
It would have been much better for the investigation to have been carried out by another authority. Two of the most important principles for any investigation are independence and transparency. These aren't absolutes: they're only principles.

And it could still happen.

Jonathan

PS: Who's on duty for Latin tags today?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

For the record,I have no trust in either politicians or the police.
There are individual examples to the contrary but they're far and few between.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 8:23am The police and politicians have plenty of 'form'. Remember 'plebgate'? Though it was found that Andrew Mitchell had used the word 'pleb' or something similar several police officers were dismissed for offences ranging from leaking information to The Sun to sending text messages suggesting they wanted to bring a government minister down.

Interesting that Mitchell has been the 'reasoned' Johnson must go voice on radio this morning. A man who is undoubtedly a snob and probably not very pleasant, and who has weathered claims of tax avoidance telling us about Johnson's lack of probity.
His thinking is party first everything else second.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Slowtwitch wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 5:26am In what looks everyday, as it slowly, sickeningly unfolds the police investigation into Partygate is another monumental whitewash.
What are you referencing? Things have been notably quiet, I'd thought.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think the current MPS investigation is into alleged offences in and around "No 10" ie It's not an investigation into the police's investigation or non-investigation of those offences. I would have thought that if there were to be such an investigation, then the normal agency would be the IOPS
https://policeconduct.gov.uk/

However, there has been some sort of commitment to a review of the entire handling of the pandemic, although there's no detail of its form or terms of reference. Partygate has become such an important part of that in the context of how eg inconsistent enforcement was applied, that it might well be included. Thorough inquiry or whitewash are both possible but one umbrella inquiry might be preferable.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

pete75 wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 7:55am
Tangled Metal wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 7:13am PS can our ex policemen (and women if there are any) give a fairer opinion on the police investigation and perhaps what they're actually doing other than the usual trope of covering up for their political masters.
A view from a police insider, either current or former, is hardly likely to be fair.
And criticism of police before they've even investigated properly is fair I take it? Bias is everywhere but if we don't have both sides giving their take on it then what is the point of a discussion thread? Do you want sounding boards for one pov or actual discussions, hopefully with people who know or find out what they're posting about. That's not me BTW :lol: