Can the Met be trusted?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Can the Met be trusted?

Post by Bonefishblues »

ossie wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 8:56pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 10:19am
I think it highlights the need for reform throughout the police service, not just in the Met, which has been under particular scrutiny.
The investigation was conducted by the IOPC. Are you suggesting they need reforming as well ? How about the court process who found her not guilty of assault ? How would reforming the Police service impact these decisions ?
It's completely separate to the criminal proceedings so let's set that aside.

I mentioned the Guidelines. I'd like to see them and understand how they mean that the issuing of a Written Warning would be considered to be within the range of reasonable responses to what was a series of additional blows to an incapacitated man, which constituted assault (notwithstanding the criminal charge resulted in acquittal).

It appears, on the face of it, that Police disciplinary procedures may be deficient such that very serious misconduct is often (I am influenced by the testimony of the new Met Police Commissioner who states he is unable to dismiss officers who deserve dismissal) not punished to a sufficient degree.

On the face of it they may require 'recalibration' in terms of expected outcomes, or the process itself, or something else I haven't considered. Or maybe they're fine, but there seems to be a body of evidence that reform is needed.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

No!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

djnotts wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 11:25am
Tangled Metal wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:01amNo!
The OP question is of course imprecise.
"Trusted" to do/be WHAT?

MY answer would be "yes", trusted to mistreat all those that it can without fear of any repercussions, trusted to look after its own however appalling their behaviour.... etc

As always, wouldn't, fire, and on.....
Never mistreated me so I can't trust them for that neither!

I think "no!" covers it.
ossie

Post by ossie »

djnotts wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 11:25am
Tangled Metal wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:01amNo!
The OP question is of course imprecise.
"Trusted" to do/be WHAT?

MY answer would be "yes", trusted to mistreat all those that it can without fear of any repercussions, trusted to look after its own however appalling their behaviour.... etc

As always, wouldn't, fire, and on.....
You had a previous abusive post removed yet repeat it again. It kind of nullifies all discussion when all you can offer is playground insults. Its a shame as this forum is so much better than you. Thirdcrank once intimated that if you show you hand on here, the insults will follow. My guess is you now think you have a stage which is very brave under a cloak of anonymity.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Never even thought of it as an insult. If it offends I shall desist. My interpretation of facts remains unchanged.
ossie

Post by ossie »

djnotts wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 9:45pm Never even thought of it as an insult. If it offends I shall desist. My interpretation of facts remains unchanged.
If you don't think its an insult why paraphrase it ...twice ?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Shorthand for my opinion.
ossie

Post by ossie »

djnotts wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:31pm Shorthand for my opinion.
:lol:

Trust me If I said the same about someone from Nottingham non short hand I'd be looking at reinventing myself on here.
Out of interest what sparks the animosity?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cressida Dick may now be a Dame but I wonder if the Mayor of London's lack of confidence was well founded, although he was accused of being political and causing her resignation.

The police do have a difficult job and need the support of the public to carry out their job. Until there is a deep rooted change they won't get it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

BBC news report on the Casey repprt:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65015479
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I was very disappointed with reactions to the Casey review. The Home Secretary appeared to have no plans, and the Commissioner ended up arguing abut some wording.

He's now now written a letter with some details. I can't find it (anyone?) but here's the statement:
https://news.met.police.uk/news/met-pro ... ars-464815

and here's the Guardian's coverage:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ince-1970s

and the Mayor's response:
https://www.london.gov.uk/media-centre/ ... rds-in-met

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've already posted on this thread or another that the changes apparently needed are beyond the authority of the Metropolitan Commissioner. All we seem to have at the moment is posturing from politicians of every stripe.
toontra

Post by toontra »

From what I heard on the radio this morning, the Met are allocating some of their own elite officers to investigate - themselves and their mates. Quite apart from removing officers from their prime duties, who can possibly have any trust in such an "investigation". It's frankly laughable.

Anyone remember Operation Countryman? The Met ended up investigating themselves. All the rampant corruption, even at the highest levels, was swept under the carpet and witnesses were put in danger. That was 40 years ago. No much wonder Met officers have had an instilled belief that they are above the law. The evidence has been there for decades.

As I mentioned upthread, I was threatened with being "fitting up" in the '80s, simply because the detective was annoyed that he couldn't prove I had committed a crime (the reason being - I hadn't). Never trusted the Met further than I could spit.

RIP, Charles de Menezes. Enjoy your pension, Cressida Dick
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Reply this am to a call in:

Nonsensical that we can't sack people - Rowley
In response to the first listener, Rowley says he doesn't have the final say on who works in the Met Police.

He says there are independent legal tribunals in place. Rowley says it's "nonsensical" that the Met does not have the power to sack people conducting themselves inappropriately at work.

He adds that tribunals have reinstated people the Met have sacked, and that is a problem.

This is a point Rowley made during his Today interview earlier on, which he said would surprise listeners.

He also explains that police officers aren't under normal employment law and have "a special set of regulations" which apply to them.

"You can understand these in some ways", he says, but adds the regulations "are more complicated than they need to be and that has contributed to this, as has poor decisions".

The commissioner has called on the home secretary to give him more powers to sack officers.