Can the Met be trusted?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
DaveReading

Re: Can the Met be trusted?

Post by DaveReading »

Sweep wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 1:49pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60375845

This is getting VERY messy.
"More than 31,000 rank-and-file officers are represented by the Met Police Federation."

Though I suspect a rather smaller number agree with that particular PF announcement.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

DaveReading wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 5:00pm
Sweep wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 1:49pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60375845

This is getting VERY messy.
"More than 31,000 rank-and-file officers are represented by the Met Police Federation."

Though I suspect a rather smaller number agree with that particular PF announcement.
He is not white and is a Muslim. Given what we know about Met police "culture" that statement isn't surprising.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If we were to try to encapsulate in single words everything considered wrong with the police in England in general and the Met in particular, then stereotyping might be prominent.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 8:54pm If we were to try to encapsulate in single words everything considered wrong with the police in England in general and the Met in particular, then stereotyping might be prominent.
Yer not wrong. They appear to stereotype gays, women, ethnic minorities etc etc.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

To correct a mistake I made higher up when Bas Javid, the brother of the health secretary, had been mentioned under suggestions of nepotism, quoting what I'd found online, I said he was a commander. I see he is now deputy assistant commissioner and the head of the professional standards dept in the Met. I got that from this

Met Police: Some officers are racist, professional standards chief admits

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60379131
pete75

Post by pete75 »

This sort of thing doesn't help with trust

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... Ckh5DgW_kc
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Anybody have even the outline of a plan?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 10:23am Anybody have even the outline of a plan?
Unsure who your question is directed to:
Those on this forum: I think you'd need to know the inner workings of the Police, the employment contracts, etc. to even start to make a plan.

Politicians: I thought they appointed Police Leaders to come up with such things. Given role of politicians I think finding somebody to take on leadership who can come up with a plan seems a sensible way forward.

Ms. Dick: When invited to a meeting so she could present her plan instead she resigned. And given how long many of the issues have been known about most of the plan should have been already drawn-up and well into implementation.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The question was directed to those who might read it and have some sort of an answer. I don't expect to be read beyond this forum, but the realist in me suggests there are more forum members with me on "ignore" than I realise.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 1:47pm
The question was directed to those who might read it and have some sort of an answer. I don't expect to be read beyond this forum, but the realist in me suggests there are more forum members with me on "ignore" than I realise.
When somebody is critical of something, occasionally others will counter with "could you do any better?" (not directed at thirdcrank, just a general comment). Being unable to do any better does not make a criticism invalid. If I pay a builder to build me a wall and it's all leaning over and cement everywhere I will quite justifiably be critical of his/her work and that were I to build the same wall it would be even worse is irrelevant. I pay a professional in order to get a job done properly. Same with Ms Dick and the Met - I don't know the internal organisation, employment contracts, chains of command, etc. but I contribute to paying a professional (Ms Dick) to sort out all that stuff and thus I expect that job to be done. And that I could do no better is irrelevant and does not make my criticism of her failings any less valid.

(Again, not directed at thirdcrank).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We've several threads going here and everybody knows exactly what's wrong - some of it over-policing, some of it under-policing - but little real idea of how to fix it. Samuel Johnson made the point that you don't need to be a craftsman at Ercol to grumble about a badly made chair (my words) but imo you do need to have an idea of what you want.

Talking of questions, while I've been on the school walk, I've been think of questions I might ask Sadiq Khan, in the unlikely event the he should come vote-seeking at thirdcrank towers.
  • What role did you play in the selection of Cressida Dick as Met Commissioner in 2017?
  • What guidance did you give her about your expectations for policing and how did you appraise her during her five year contract expiring this year?
  • Why have you only come out with your dissatisfaction now? Or have I missed something?
========================================================
PS I have no problem with stuff directed at me. Or undirected chuntering
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 10:23am Anybody have even the outline of a plan?
What I'd expect from any police officer and police force is fairness and equality toward all and to do their duty honourably both individually and collectively and with adherence to and upholding of the law.

I would expect those within the police force(s) not doing so to be treated more harshly than those outside the police force.

What I've seen so far is a deterioration of policing and an overwhelming distrust of the police due to them collectively not upholding the law of the land and an increasing of corruption and cover up of that corruption.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 17.15.10.png
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... polls-show

Jonathan

PS: I've written to the Guardian to complain about the "... since... " title.
Last edited by Jdsk on 16 Feb 2022, 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

To be fair to the Grauniad, the curve on that chart only covers the period since 2017

PS I see the source is the Mayor's office so it seems to reinforce my point that he's been slow in expressing his own lack of confidence
Last edited by thirdcrank on 16 Feb 2022, 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

My complaint is that "... since... " sets up the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy in the mind of the reader.

It's bad practice.

Jonathan