On tour with my Enigma

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mattheus

Re: On tour with my Enigma

Post by mattheus »

sussex cyclist wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 10:13am Besides snow, Canada brings to mind Due South (clickable)

Thatcher Thatcher kiss snatcher
Great show. Filmed mainly in South Wales quarries - not many people know that.
djb

Post by djb »

mattheus wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 1:24pm
djb wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 12:30pm Re your noggin avec bloody trou (frankly I was expecting much worse) here it goes, an internet stranger recommending to wear an effing helmet.
Ya ya, its your noggin....
Three concussions: only one was while riding a bike.
Three is the key thing, accumulative effect later in life etc. Doesn' t matter if anyone falls off an elephant or jumps and hits their head on a low door frame.

That's one thing that more recent sports concussion study has put an emphasis of possible long term stuff, or at least more of an awareness of post concussion treatment and being extra careful post concussion.
But there's still dumb luck and degrees of concussion.

Just stuff that's good to be aware of, as I'm sure most of us are.
Touch wood again
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

djb

Post by djb »

Like that! Chuckled.
Added bonus is that it covers up the crack!
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

djb wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 5:12pm Added bonus is that it covers up the crack!
Normally something I avoid, just as the persnickety are careful to always photograph their bikes from the drive side, perhaps with the cranks and quick release tabs just so. In this case, multiple interpretations of the symbolism allow me to sidestep the H word altogether, other than to say that dumb luck may well by why I'm typing right now. Certainly there was an element of chance in my very conception.
djb wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 12:30pmmy family up in Scotland yesterday showed me the blanket of snow they had, would have been a great non greyscale grey shot of your grey frame, and very Canadian looking.
Growing up across Lake Erie from you (well, your country) in Ohio, I was blessed with an abundance of the stuff. In East Sussex where I finally landed, not so much, though we've had our moments.

Funny, those tracks lead to me
Your Arts Council grant surely would have covered the overnight train or Ryanair flight to the Inverness area.
I'd definitely spend some of that sweet sweet grant money shipping the frame around the world for people to take snaps of it.

Inside the CN Tower overlooking cosmopolitan Toronto

Derivative

好篱笆造好邻居)

mattheus wrote: 5 Apr 2022, 3:11pm
sussex cyclist wrote: 5 Apr 2022, 3:48am Having minimal need of cycling advice and little opportunity to provide it, I try to carve out my own niche.
We'll be the judge of that.
When it comes to advice I prefer to do a search and get my help from people who have already been helped with similar problems, though when stymied to exasperation I have been known to ask. Unsolicited advice can provide opportunities to learn, or to perfect the art of patience.
mattheus wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 1:25pmGreat show. Filmed mainly in South Wales quarries - not many people know that.
This cannot go unremarked upon. Either I'm missing a joke, in which case my embarrassed apologies, or my search engine is not up to speed. Some fun trivia here.

on edit: Hmmm.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

sussex cyclist wrote: 7 Apr 2022, 7:08am
mattheus wrote: 6 Apr 2022, 1:25pmGreat show. Filmed mainly in South Wales quarries - not many people know that.
This cannot go unremarked upon. Either I'm missing a joke, in which case my embarrassed apologies, or my search engine is not up to speed. Some fun trivia here.

on edit: Hmmm.
It's a poor joke; based on the factoid that the entire British Sci-Fi industry (Blakes7, Dr Who et al) are based there. South Wales has posed as most of the explored universe - why shouldn't it do Canada as well??

[ I didn't know about the New South Wales in Canada - thanks! ]
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Have you done a bridge yet?
I am here. Where are you?
djb

Post by djb »

Re grant money travels.
Really makes me think of back in the day the whole adaption to Photoshop we had to deal with gradually with scanning of film work and then gradually with Digi cameras as they improved. Took my first actual real course in 94, but have been hopelessly out of touch now for a long long time.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

Cowsham wrote: 7 Apr 2022, 11:24am Have you done a bridge yet?
There are no photogenic bridges in the vicinity, unlike this one I cycled across some time ago.

No one knows where it ends

A humble pedestrian bridge should count though, right? Right. So for you I walked a mile and a half with a brick on my back,

because an assignment is an assignment. It was quite windy and I didn't want the frame to tip over into the water.

Bridge on the river why

And that's pretty much it. Hope it's not an anticlimax. I had in mind something dramatic shot from below, but footing was tricky, and there was no hazard pay.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

sussex cyclist wrote: 7 Apr 2022, 9:18pm Image
Cowsham wrote: 7 Apr 2022, 11:24am Have you done a bridge yet?
There are no photogenic bridges in the vicinity, unlike this one I cycled across some time ago.

No one knows where it ends

A humble pedestrian bridge should count though, right? Right. So for you I walked a mile and a half with a brick on my back,

because an assignment is an assignment. It was quite windy and I didn't want the frame to tip over into the water.

Bridge on the river why

And that's pretty much it. Hope it's not an anticlimax. I had in mind something dramatic shot from below, but footing was tricky, and there was no hazard pay.
Ah no sorry I meant weighbridges. What would titanium fetch per kilogram?
I am here. Where are you?
djb

Post by djb »

sure, scratch up that nice shiny frame there Jethro Tull.
sheesh
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

mattheus wrote: 7 Apr 2022, 10:56am It's a poor joke; based on the factoid that the entire British Sci-Fi industry (Blakes7, Dr Who et al) are based there.
The closest thing to a TARDIS I can rustle up:

(You're in luck if you need defibrillating.)
Cowsham wrote: 7 Apr 2022, 10:17pm Ah no sorry I meant weighbridges.
<sigh>

Weight weenie
djb wrote: 8 Apr 2022, 1:04am sure, scratch up that nice shiny frame there Jethro Tull.
I consider myself to be merely the guardian of this frame, destined as it is for a new home on a wall or mantel, or even in a place of honour in the collection of that madman to the east {shudder}.

Thus, rest assured that I am as careful with it now as during its working life; there is no way I would allow it to be scratched up by Jethro.
djb wrote: 5 Apr 2022, 5:13am down the [musical] rabbit hole
https://youtu.be/vmWq6yTcXNo
https://youtu.be/08pklaFzFWA
https://youtu.be/ZqeZdumu2fg
djb

Post by djb »

Coffee reading and watching thanks.
You certainly are prolific
Hope the marshmallow roaster sells

And main bonus from this morning is that I now know how to save a knocked up sheep!
Hey, good thing to know, even for a city slicker.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

I see you've been perusing my classifieds,* where I listed this before conceding eBay probably reaches a larger audience. Focus hasn't always been where expected. For example, someone recently commented on the ash, which is also pictured in the first post of this thread. I hadn't bothered to identify the tree, focusing as I was on not letting the frame fall out of it. Learn something new every day, eh? Here it is again, in not quite living colour as that sprig had to die for the shot.

* No enquiries about the alpacas. Surely it's only a matter of time.

djb

Post by djb »

Shirley you're pulling my leg, I mean focus, with the alpaca shots
And/or you're simply out of your depth.
In that field.

And/or it looks like you took the shot through a rust hole in the trunk area of a '75 Bug right behind the People's Car emblem, that has had a tough life in the parking streets of SE blighty.