On tour with my Enigma

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
djb

Re: On tour with my Enigma

Post by djb »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 2:19pm
I think that it's a Bloodhound... much smaller fry.

Jonathan
[/quote]

Ta. Know my aircraft mostly, but not missiles.
When you think about it, man the cold war expended a lot of resources. Yes, new technologies come from tinkering, but boy o boy, the resources keeping up with the Joneses is still boggling.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

While most people said goodbye to Eunice days ago, we had the displeasure of her aftermath over a long cold weekend. How to celebrate when the lights and heat turned back on after 79 hours? Take my Enigma on a short tour, of course.

Am I the only one assembled then?

This looks like where they store the electricity, the misers.

Could've used one of these.
Jdsk wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 2:19pm I think that it's a Bloodhound... much smaller fry.
Can confirm that was a Bloodhound. My notes tell me the gentleman paid £50 for it.
djb wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 2:17pm And yes, using ye ol bike is always good for scale. Here's mine:
Screenshot_20220217-091112.jpg
Imagine Eunice and Franklin having their way with that.
Last edited by sussex cyclist on 22 Feb 2022, 11:18am, edited 1 time in total.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

sussex cyclist wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 4:45am While most people said goodbye to Eunice days ago, we had the displeasure of her aftermath over a long cold weekend. How to celebrate when the lights and heat turned back on after 79 hours? Take my Enigma on a short tour, of course.
We did start a petition for storm ENIGMA, but it didn't reach the required 45million signatures. Sorry : (

(can't find the thread now - I'm sure it's on here somewhere ... )
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

E may be the most popular letter in the English language, but not so much for naming things (other than certain bikes). Take constellations: Equuleus and Eridanus are your lot. Or were. Behold the Enigma, with strategically placed falling star:

This brings us back to my much self-interrupted tour of Jack Fuller's follies. The top of this part of the world is crowned with the Brightling Observatory,

designed by Sir Robert Smirke, who whipped up the facade of the British Museum* in his spare time.

I couldn't get a picture of the frame in or on the observatory so this will have to do.

Not really a folly in that this structure actually had a use other than as conversation piece, it came with all the mod cons at the time, including a camera obscura,

from the Latin camera obscūra, which we may loosely translate as Kodak moment (speaking of increasingly obscure references).

* I'm going to use the rest of this post to bemoan that this behemoth remains off limits to me given my continuing aversion to trains and London. A whirlwind tour:

Last edited by sussex cyclist on 2 Apr 2022, 8:09am, edited 1 time in total.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

Naturally Jack had a tower in his portfolio of follies.

As long as I'm in desaturating mode I'm going to twin this with the Sugar Loaf,

though the story is the tower was used as a far off viewing platform to check on the progress of works on Bodiam (upthread) and this has associations with nearby St Giles. Click here for more info and a much prettier picture.

Finally we have The Rotunda. Let's give this a shot of sepia, shall we?

sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

We've got lambs popping up in the fields around us,

Can't wait to get started being a mum!

so I hope to get a shot of some of the youngsters gambolling around the frame. The cows have already been there, done that.

Curiouser and curiouser

I also thought it might be nice to mark the changing of the seasons

Spring has sprung

though the temps have since taken a steep dive. Silly daffodils, should've stayed in bed longer.

In other developments the frame is now up for grabs. For the cyclist/art collector who thought they had everything.
Mtb tourer

Post by Mtb tourer »

Hi just consider yourself unlucky and move on. I still use a Ti fork that was recalled (made by the same people) it's had low riders adapted to fit. Reason for not returning was I had just survived a tour of the alps with camping gear. You always hear the horror story, while 99.95 % of the people never say anything about bikes that are OK.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

I keep the bike moving and continue to enjoy it, though alas I'm not currently able to tour far from home.
Here it is on my patio serving time as a sundial.

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Surely that's fixable ? Weld her up, flaff a wad of Dulux roun the r's of it. It'll be grand.
I am here. Where are you?
djb

Post by djb »

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the museum stuff, thanks for the chuckles.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

sussex cyclist wrote: 2 Apr 2022, 8:12am I hope to get a shot of some of the youngsters gambolling around the frame
Still a little young for gambolling. They're too busy being born. Speaking of which...

Brokebottombracketmountain: the sequel
Cowsham wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 10:25am flaff a wad of Dulux roun the r's of it.
Or I could just try some duct tape.
djb wrote: 3 Apr 2022, 2:58pm Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the museum stuff, thanks for the chuckles.
I miss museums more than anything else. Fortunately I've taken about a million pictures (by conservative estimate).

djb

Post by djb »

sussex cyclist wrote: 4 Apr 2022, 4:50am I miss museums more than anything else. Fortunately I've taken about a million pictures (by conservative estimate).
Haven't I told you a million times to stop exaggerating?!
Cuerdale, Shimano and godless hoards...
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

djb wrote: 4 Apr 2022, 5:55pm Haven't I told you a million times to stop exaggerating?!
I’m not good with numbers. Anything in excess of what I can count on my fingers is just “many”. A few more scenes at the museum, then I’ll take this to The Tea Shop:

The tour continues, even to the most mundane of places. My surgery, for example.

"I see you brought your bike."
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Your surgery ?
I am here. Where are you?
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

Cowsham wrote: 4 Apr 2022, 9:43pm Your surgery ?
Not mine personally. Other people get to use it too.

It isn't the first time one of my bikes has been in a medical setting. Back in 2005 I landed in a hospital in the States after a pothole

threw me off late one night, knocking me unconscious.

The guy who found me kindly put it into the back of his pickup truck, and it kept me company as they checked me over for damage (aside from the pre-existing cerebral eccentricities. And yes, the bike was fine.) Lesson learned: buy a better light.