On tour with my Enigma

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
sussex cyclist

Re: On tour with my Enigma

Post by sussex cyclist »

djb wrote: 9 Apr 2022, 2:22am Shirley
Shirley that's a good excuse for a clip of Leslie Nielsen, whose father really was a Mountie.
And/or it looks like you took the shot through a rust hole in the trunk area of a '75 Bug right behind the People's Car emblem, that has had a tough life in the parking streets of SE blighty.
We've already featured a wreck or three on this thread, so here's this instead:

That's a genuine (well, novelty) plate I brought from the States.

My car made the trip too. Though the Jersey guys who shipped it over the pond radiated vibes of being connected, the only thing that went missing was the car vac.

The car was later replaced and is now sleeping with the fishes. Believe it or not I still miss driving over here with the steering wheel where it oughtn't be.
djb

Post by djb »

Believe it or not Bugsy, I still never have watched The Sopranos.
Gotta do that one day.

I have, however, driven a UK car in France, which was kinda weird being up against the sidewalk as the driver, but at least I didn't have to readjust my "what side should I be on" instincts. Still got it to 150 on l'autoroute which was cool, at that time was my personal top speed record.

I have really clear memories of watching Airplane at the theatre when it came out, and me and my friends just busting a gut the whole time.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

On my hospitality tour I stayed with someone who had the largest collection of DVDs I'd ever seen outside of a library, and was caught coveting his sacred digitally inscribed copies of the show. Not long after I got back home, a season appeared in the mail. He had sent it to me! (I believe he had a spare for some reason.) It was almost like those cultures you hear about where if you admire something belonging to your host, he is ritually required to offer it to you – though I think you are ritually obliged to turn it down. Clearly this doesn't apply if Royal Mail is involved.

Here's the frame riding shotgun on the way to another shoot.

djb

Post by djb »

sussex cyclist wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 6:18am Here's the frame riding ar-10 on the way to another shoot.
Corrected.
And ya, while I haven't received dvd's, it is something how folks can be so generous like that to us push bike travelers isn't it?
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

I think that while cyclists are easier to harrass on the road because we don’t have a metal carapace, contrarily we can be easier to shower kindness on for the humble feat of transporting ourselves under our own steam. I certainly experienced many acts of goodwill on that trip from Land’s End to

sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

djb

Post by djb »

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllll !

I've lived and traveled in Latin America, and sometimes the radio football game announcers would keep a historonic "goal" going on for 10 seconds+
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

Frame is still in play.

PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Gosh, your frame just keeps going and going - it must be well made and durable!
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

I'd be happy for them to use it in their advertising.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

Bayham Abbey in Kent near Tunbridge Wells. They had a good thing going for about 300 years, then Henry VIII came along.
djb

Post by djb »

Hey there Gene Kelly, An American not in Paris, I immediately thought of you the other day when a friend wrote about his long ago MBA program and that line in business about a happy customer telling two friends, but an unhappy one telling four or five....

Keeping yourself in trouble I see.
I'm hoping to get to Scotland this summer, too bad it's so far away from down south, or I'd suggest a ride or a beer.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

djb wrote: 1 May 2022, 11:56am I'm hoping to get to Scotland this summer, too bad it's so far away from down south, or I'd suggest a ride or a beer.
Boring teetotal here. Just never developed the taste (though my understanding is that taste isn’t necessarily what people are looking for in a beer.)

If you ever do find your way down south I'll give you a tour of Fuller’s follies upthread, and you can have your picture taken with Rud.

djb

Post by djb »

Saw John Candy in an art exhibit at the Montreal museum of fine Arts, many many decades ago, probably late 80s even. Big big man. Can't recall when he died, long time ago now.
Almost teatotaler myself, but no matter.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

djb wrote: 1 May 2022, 1:55pm Saw John Candy in an art exhibit at the Montreal museum of fine Arts, many many decades ago, probably late 80s even. Big big man. Can't recall when he died, long time ago now.
Almost teatotaler myself, but no matter.
He was great in " Little Shop Of Horrors" (the 80's one ) my favorite musical comedy.
I am here. Where are you?