Interview with Christina Mackenzie - End to End record holder

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Cowsham

Re: Interview with Christina Mackenzie - End to End record holder

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 4:59pm
mumbojumbo wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 6:50am Was she carrying luggage?
There's a BBC report of of this successful record attempt with a clip of Christina Mackenzie arriving at the finish and a still photo of her during her ride - "luggage" restricted to a couple of bottles. Bearing in mind, her new record time was 2 days, 3 hours, 5 minutes and 27 seconds, she won't have had any overnight stops in hostels or anywhere else

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-58025382

http://www.rra.org.uk/
Incredible ride

I'd probably die if I tried anything like that.

Is there a record of an unsupported lejog ?
I am here. Where are you?
velorog

Post by velorog »

What makes record attempts such as Christina's so hard is that in order to break the record these days the rider has to get through the second night without any sleep. This is when you have to fight the mind games. In the past riders were able to gab some cat-naps, but not any more.
There is an excellent video on YT of 24hourmaths own record breaking ride highlighting the pain and suffering of 2 nights on the road. Imagine the will power needed to continue for the 1,000 mile record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbFgPom8YY0

I'm not aware of any unsupported record as it would be very difficult to police, but there are self supported races such as the GBDuro where outside support is banned.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I think a unsupported record would be really dangerous...

Riding without enough sleep through busy town and cities and exposed moors would be good hardy.

Raam is bad enough which must pass swathes of countryside but the UK is pretty busy in places.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cowsham wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 12:26pmIs there a record of an unsupported lejog ?
There are a few one here who have done it in five days, and I hold the record for riding it on a Raleigh Chopper of course.

I suppose it depends on what "unsupported" means.
I, for instance, stayed at B+Bs and at the home of relatives. I wasn't "self-sufficient" but fed and watered along the way.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mick F wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 10:26am
There are a few one here who have done it in five days, and I hold the record for riding it on a Raleigh Chopper of course.

I, for instance, stayed at B+Bs and at the home of relatives. I wasn't "self-sufficient" but fed and watered along the way.
The nearest thing that I know about are the LEL audax rides. Very similar distance and terrain mix.
Howard Waller has ridden it in about 62 hours (so 2 days + 14h i.e. still just 2 nights on the road). You'll need to speed up a bit Mick!

Unsupported out on the road, but some volunteers providing food/drink and a floor to nap on, roughly ever 40-50 miles. Using cafes/shops and a bivvy bag wouldn't add much time. Can't recall how long he slept on that ride, but it's in his blog somewhere.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I'd say we'd have to go with no team ( motor vehicle ) following you around and any transport ( eg bike on train ) other than cycle.

Guy Martin spent 2 grand on food mostly eating out on his "unsupported" tour divide. I'd still say that was unsupported, he needed to eat more than sleep.
A wee bit divided on whether only sleeping in a tent is unsupported or is b&b acceptable? When I'm away for a couple of weeks I'm camping only but that's maybe cos I'm a tight old git.

I'd put your Raleigh Chopper ride above Christina's for achievement BTW.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Thanks!

Still took a great deal of planning, time, training, and lots of stuff.
I've remained sad that I sold the beast. It was an iconic bike even though I sorted it out to be "adult".
JOG.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cowsham wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 3:17pm
I'd say we'd have to go with no team ( motor vehicle ) following you around and any transport ( eg bike on train ) other than cycle.

Guy Martin spent 2 grand on food mostly eating out on his "unsupported" tour divide. I'd still say that was unsupported, he needed to eat more than sleep.
A wee bit divided on whether only sleeping in a tent is unsupported or is b&b acceptable? When I'm away for a couple of weeks I'm camping only but that's maybe cos I'm a tight old git.
tent -vs- B&B is a bit moot in my experience: B&B provides a little comfort (which also aids recovery), and you can carry a bit less, but it is quite amazing how much time you waste on checkin/out tasks, and you're restricted (a bit) to what times you can do that. The Ultra racers (for the most part, and especially in warm conditions) use bivvy bags.

As you say, support from a motor vehicle is clearly the biggest dividing line. If you paid your support team just minimum wage (24x7), how far would that £2K get you??

And 2 grand on food eating out? I can believe that, but he could have slashed that by stocking up at supermarkets. If he'd wanted to, of course! Look at the budgets for RAAM competitors if you think £2k is a lot ...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

and I hold the record for riding it on a Raleigh Chopper of course.
Christina will be pleased: it's not a proper E2E thread until you've mentioned your Raleigh.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 8:39pm I think a unsupported record would be really dangerous...

Riding without enough sleep through busy town and cities and exposed moors would be good hardy.

Raam is bad enough which must pass swathes of countryside but the UK is pretty busy in places.
... foolhardy... ?

: - )

Jonathan
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Mick F wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 10:26am I suppose it depends on what "unsupported" means.
Unsupported means that the only "support" you are allowed is that which is open to all. So for example you could stay at a hotel (as anyone can book a night there) but you can't stay at a friend's house since that support is only open to you.

Same with food or mechanical support. If you go to a bike shop or supermarket en-route, that's fine since anyone can access it but if you have a friend drive out to pick you up or bring you food / tools, that's not allowed since the support is unique to you.

The pure E2E speed records (as per CM's record) are obviously done fully supported with an independent observer (to ensure no drafting, fair play and so on). Other than that you could probably conjure up any record you wanted. Fastest using [insert type of bike], fastest while carrying a kitchen sink or playing the bagpipes, longest continuous route, fastest while visiting every cathedral in England - make your own up!

The problem with unofficial records or contrived ones is that you don't really have to shout about it - it'd be perfectly possible for someone to ride it on a Chopper in 7 days just for fun but not really say anything about it. Equally, it'd be possible for someone to ride it on a road bike in 7 days, post a pic of them on a Chopper at various points (Chopper transported by obliging support driver and set up for photo ops) and claim it was all done like that. There's no proof either way.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

rareposter wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 4:45pm Equally, it'd be possible for someone to ride it on a road bike in 7 days, post a pic of them on a Chopper at various points (Chopper transported by obliging support driver and set up for photo ops) and claim it was all done like that. There's no proof either way.
I'm not sure I like what you're suggesting here, mr rare ... :O
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

mattheus wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 5:04pm
rareposter wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 4:45pm Equally, it'd be possible for someone to ride it on a road bike in 7 days, post a pic of them on a Chopper at various points (Chopper transported by obliging support driver and set up for photo ops) and claim it was all done like that. There's no proof either way.
Simply saying that anyone can claim any sort of record they want "unofficially". The more wacky schemes generally get some sort of traction in the media - someone did it in a bathtub once which obviously got quite a bit of interest so that kind of thing doesn't go unnoticed but most people complete their ride and that's it. Perfectly possible that someone older or younger than the alleged oldest or youngest person has done LEJOG for example but without claiming the "trophy". Same for doing it faster than the alleged fastest person on [insert type of contraption].

Plenty of people ride tours (not just LEJOG / JOGLE) with very little fanfare. Add in all the permutations around supported / unsupported and routings and you start getting into ever more arcane "record" territory.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 4:34pm
Jamesh wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 8:39pm I think a unsupported record would be really dangerous...

... foolhardy... ?

: - )

Jonathan
Yes :roll:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

mattheus wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 5:04pm
Probably an inocent illustration...