Interview with Christina Mackenzie - End to End record holder

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
24hourmaths

Interview with Christina Mackenzie - End to End record holder

Post by 24hourmaths »

I was fortunate enough to spend an hour or so chatting tonight with Christina Mackenzie of the Stirling Bike Club.

After riding two 24 hour time trials as preparation, having moved over from the sport of triathlon, Christina Mackenzie decided to have a go at the 839 mile RRA End to End record in the summer of 2019. She was tantalisingly close to record pace with only 50 miles left to go but eventually completed the course just outside the previous record. After a little persuasion, and a National Championship at 12 hour won in the interim, she returned in 2021 to knock a staggering 99 minutes off the old record.

Christina lowered Lynne Taylor's 2002 record to a new best time of 51.05.27 and it was our pleasure to listen to her recounting the whole journey.

Have a listen here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-971271891-2 ... -mackenzie
Slowtwitch

Re: Interview with Christina Mackenzie - End to End record holder

Post by Slowtwitch »

She's a proper trouper, in the mould of Beryl Burton for sure.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Was she carrying luggage?
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

mumbojumbo wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 6:50am Was she carrying luggage?
A toothbrush maybe :lol:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Yes.

But having ridden in 51hours, there was only time for 2 nights in B&Bs - so only 2 changes of clothes required.

Any "regular" LEJOGer passing her would think she was carrying a very light load - they might even have been a little jealous!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Well I would have posted stuff to hostel etc rather than carry gear-or washed and .died on clothes-line in room
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's a BBC report of of this successful record attempt with a clip of Christina Mackenzie arriving at the finish and a still photo of her during her ride - "luggage" restricted to a couple of bottles. Bearing in mind, her new record time was 2 days, 3 hours, 5 minutes and 27 seconds, she won't have had any overnight stops in hostels or anywhere else

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-58025382

http://www.rra.org.uk/
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

It's a record ride, she has two support vehicles. Who in their right mind would carry anything other than water?
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

P. S. I was joking about the toothbrush :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Slowtwitch wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 5:41pm It's a record ride, she has two support vehicles. Who in their right mind would carry anything other than water?
I know that, you know that and I suspect everybody on a forum like this with an interest in the competitive aspects of cycling knows it too.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

thirdcrank wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 5:45pm
Slowtwitch wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 5:41pm It's a record ride, she has two support vehicles. Who in their right mind would carry anything other than water?
I know that, you know that and I suspect everybody on a forum like this with an interest in the competitive aspects of cycling knows it too.
I suspect people who don't realise the variables and the demands of a record attempt might think it just another 'big bike ride'. They probably don't realise there are an entire team of support, and likely medical assistance on an attempt like this. When I was a young lad I used to think the guys in the tour de France rode round completely unsupported. Like it was a big club outing!

I daresay the majority of cyclists on the forum haven't got much experience of competition, nevermind distance record rides, nor what that entails.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

When I were a lad TDF riders carried own spares and even had to book their own chambres d;hote.A lot of record-breaking attempts are somewhat pointless,like people who sleep naked for 48 hours with hiberbnating hedgehogs,to gain a place in the Gormless Book of Records.
velorog

Post by velorog »

Also on the soundcloud site is an interview with Eileen Sheridan who broke the record in 1954 and went on to take the 1,000 mile record.The 1,000 mile record stood for 48 years. An incredible ride considering she was riding 5 speeds with a 72 inch bottom gear. A remarkable lady, not only for her record breaking rides but being able to give an account of her end-to-end ride aged 98.

https://soundcloud.com/user-971271891-2 ... ation-with

Thank you 24hourmaths for the heads-up and interviews.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've belatedly remembered this pic (fuzzy through enlargement) I took of 24hourmaths during his successful Edinburgh to London RRA attempt on 21 October 2021
Screenshot (40).png
Originalthread here

viewtopic.php?p=1647396#p1647396
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I really enjoyed it.

Especially the fact the she only got the record on the second attempt, knowing how hard it was going to be having tried to do it a couple of years before.

Which was an encouragement to me having failed to complete a ultra running race last year.

Also the mention of jasmine who didn't succeed, I wonder how many attempted don't succeed? 90% how many dnf? 50% 24hr maths must have the figures???