Which 11sp Chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
keyboardmonkey

Re: Which 11sp Chain

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Cowsham wrote: 3 Feb 2022, 5:02pm I'm about to replace the 11sp chain on my 2017 cube acid ( xt groupset ) so I looked up the spec on the bike to find the chain is Shimano CN-HG601-11 but when I looked at the choices available I find there's an R5800 or an R7000.

Anyone know what the numbers mean?
It seems likely that CN-HG601-11 was the model of chain for the previous Shimano (5800) 105 range and remains the model number for the current (R7000) groupset. Similarly, it seems to be the chain for the SLX range. Just check whether it comes with a joining pin or quick link if that matters to you.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Chains are easy. Buy the "speed"you need. Generally within a make, more expensive lasts longer given perfect care, "speed" being the same. All too subjective to be perfectly definitive.
Apparently there are fake chains of all makes out there. Does it matter? Who knows. Too many variables.
I find SRAM noisier than others.
Finally, unless there is a new cassette going on you may find gear changing worse than with an old chain.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 2:35pm KMC have a Chain Choice page...
https://www.kmcchain.eu

Jonathan

Went for the KMC bx11gg114

So X range of 11speed ( x for the x shape profile on side to aid gear change
Same as the shimano ) and 114 link same as original.

£21 and comes with the missing link -- I think maybe the reuseable type won't know till it arrives -- I like reuseable type so I can clean the chain periodically or before I go on a big ( to me ) mission.
I am here. Where are you?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I have fitted nothing but Sram (previously Sedis) chains since the 80s as they were by far the best. However a few year ago I needed a new 10 speed chain for our tandem and I couldn't find a Sram chain with enough links so I bought a Shimano HG54. This far outlasted any chain I have on any of our bikes despite the fact that it is handling the power of two riders. These chains are directional and shift very well (notably down shifts under load) as well as being long lasting. I don't know if the Shimano 11 speed chains are as good but I'll be fitting one next time I need one on my 11 speed road bike.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I washed the old shimano chain ( don't know how many miles on it must be more than 2000 miles but it's a mountain bike and gets some creddelin up through forests etc ) and gave it the horizontal test. ( it's a good rule of thumb test to check wear ) -- hold two ends ( if split ) in one hand horizontally out and the other end should just be about going vertical or still sloping down. Mine was vertical from about half way. :lol:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Well I fitted the new KMC chain the other day and found when I put a bit of pressure on the pedals it was skipping ( skipping links not just clicking ) on the smallest 2 or 3 cogs on the cassette getting worse the smaller the cog. ( the three highest the gears )

I bought another cassette -- my thought was -- the one that's on probably isn't worn out but at some point in the future it will and I'll have it for that point in time -- I can also compare the new one to the old one.

Today after trying several times to set up the new chain / derailers to no avail, I took everything apart including the old cassette, cleaned it thoroughly and put it back together. Still skipping.

Thought I'll put the old chain back on before I change to the new cassette cos the chain wasn't skipping links before I changed to the new KMC chain and the old cassette didn't look very worn at all comparing it with the new one ( closely comparing the separated cogs with the brand new )

Soon as I put the old chain back on the skipping links stopped. Can't really see much difference in the chains apart from the fact that the shimano chain is obviously a bit worn and looking at them on the bike the new chain looks well seated into the cassette teeth.

You'd wonder how it skips links when I put a bit of pressure on the pedals when everything looks perfect.

I'll order a new shimano chain to see if that makes any difference.
Last edited by Cowsham on 22 Feb 2022, 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I suggest:

1 Measuring the wear on the old chain. Not just looking.

2 Checking that the new chain that you have is compatible with the drivetrain.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The two chains look identical.
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

A new chain skipping on an old cassette is very common. To prevent this you needed to change the chain earlier. Going back to the old chain for a while is an option, but bare in mind that the worn chain will be wearing out your front chainring(s), potentially meaning these will also need replacing when you switch to the new chain and cassette.

I would fit the new chain and cassette now.
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Double post, please delete.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 11:23am The two chains look identical.
On closer inspection the shimano chain doesn't have the x engraved side plates and you can feel the rivets on the outside of the KMC chain more prominent ie the shimano seems a little more refined. I'll post pictures.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Think I've been mislead by this X11 business.

X 11 on KMC means an X pattern on the side plate of 11 speed chain

X 11 on Shimano means it's a directional chain.

One side of the shimano chain has a marked plate with HG600 " outside"

( HG600 is now HG601 the 600 now discontinued )

the "inside" of chain is plain -- no engraving -- no X

Grrrr!
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

KMC for me everytime. I generally buy the cheaper ones and they seem to last at least 3x as long as shimano
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Slowtwitch wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 12:45pm KMC for me everytime. I generally buy the cheaper ones and they seem to last at least 3x as long as shimano
But which one ? That's my point. According to shimano the chain is "super narrow and "directional" but what does that mean in KMC ??