How long can a JOGLE take?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
LittleGreyCat

How long can a JOGLE take?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

A bit tongue in cheek, partly prompted by the thought of combining a holiday with a JOGLE and also by people who sometimes ride a long route a week at a time due to holidays; that is, ride the first part and go home, return later and ride the second part etc.

I still have vague aspirations in riding end to end, and have an offer of a support vehicle driven by my partner.
\however spending about 20 days (I am not a fast rider) just seeing me off in the morning then prising me off the bike in the evening to go and rest is possibly not the best holiday.

Besides, the minimum hill route would take me past Speyside, with the question being "Why?".
So perhaps cycle down to Speyside, few days touring the distilleries,
I would like to visit Dufftown again, although not cycle up the hill to the centre.

The route from Cycle.Travel then goes down the East Coast of the Borders which is another nice area of country, then through Yorkshire to York (mind you, usually full of Hen Parties).

Anyway you get the picture.
Cycle for a while then stop for a few days of tourism.
This could stretch the 3 weeks of a 50 miles per day JOGLE into perhaps 5 or 6 weeks if touristed to the full.

Does this count as cheating, or just a very relaxed end to end?

Which in turn makes me wonder if there is a record for the longest time ever spent on an end to end.
Paulatic

Re: How long can a JOGLE take?

Post by Paulatic »

AFAIC you could take a lifetime over it but you’ll still have done it. Problem we have growing older we don’t know how many years we can span it out.
Sounds like a good plan anyway.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LittleGreyCat wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 12:00pmDoes this count as cheating, or just a very relaxed end to end?
Not cheating. Have fun however you choose.

Jonathan
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

LittleGreyCat wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 12:00pm A bit tongue in cheek, partly prompted by the thought of combining a holiday with a JOGLE and also by people who sometimes ride a long route a week at a time due to holidays; that is, ride the first part and go home, return later and ride the second part etc.

I still have vague aspirations in riding end to end, and have an offer of a support vehicle driven by my partner.
\however spending about 20 days (I am not a fast rider) just seeing me off in the morning then prising me off the bike in the evening to go and rest is possibly not the best holiday.

Besides, the minimum hill route would take me past Speyside, with the question being "Why?".
So perhaps cycle down to Speyside, few days touring the distilleries,
I would like to visit Dufftown again, although not cycle up the hill to the centre.

The route from Cycle.Travel then goes down the East Coast of the Borders which is another nice area of country, then through Yorkshire to York (mind you, usually full of Hen Parties).

Anyway you get the picture.
Cycle for a while then stop for a few days of tourism.
This could stretch the 3 weeks of a 50 miles per day JOGLE into perhaps 5 or 6 weeks if touristed to the full.

Does this count as cheating, or just a very relaxed end to end?

Which in turn makes me wonder if there is a record for the longest time ever spent on an end to end.
I think thats what Debbie Baskett did on her Brompton, camping with lil the little dog in a front basket.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Definitely the way to go....

Next time I'm going to do lejogle as slowly and scenically as the family allow!!
PH

Post by PH »

LittleGreyCat wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 12:00pm Does this count as cheating
Cheating who?
There's your answer, if their opinion matters to you then it is.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I think a three week Jogle would be a good start. If I was organising a charity Jogle I would probably run a relay of riders like this. (I already have one in mind!)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that JoGLE is a JoGLE, however long you take. It sounds like my kind of touring pace & exactly the sort of JoGLE, I would plan, given the time & funds to do so.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ron

Post by Ron »

LittleGreyCat wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 12:00pmThis could stretch the 3 weeks of a 50 miles per day JOGLE into perhaps 5 or 6 weeks if touristed to the full. Does this count as cheating, or just a very relaxed end to end?.
Certainly not cheating, but I think after six weeks you may start yearning for your own home comforts and decide not to complete the challenge. Later you could have regrets that having done so much you did not actually finish the job.
It is possible to have too much of a good thing!
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

If relatively fit, a ten day Jogle is ideal. Even if not that fit, it's still possible (though expect the first few days to be a baptism of traffic and fatigue). The last time I rode it I was amazed to meet two girls in Inverness (in their late twenties) who had started off same day as me. They assured me they'd done no training at all for the ride, and had only bought their bikes two weeks previously. The bikes were spotless. They were admittedly on the heavy side (the girls, not the bikes!) and both enthused that they had lost '12lbs in 10 days ".

I don't doubt that its possible to roll up to a Jogle start line with little out no training, but it must be a brave soul who sees it through to the end! I'm an old boy scout, so you can guess my motto.

The saddlesores!
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I'm intending to take up to 6 weeks to do it because I'm lucky enough to have the time/money and want to enjoy it. I wouldn't consider less than 4 weeks. Our intent/approach sounds similar to yours.....although both of us cycling.

Cycling along the so called Great Ocean Road in Oz , a good while back, I met a cyclist who said he couldn't stop for more than a minute for a chat as he had to do 120 miles every day. Turned out it was Mark Beaumont. My initial and present thought on the matter was it seemed like a waste just cycling through places.....although impressive as an endurance feat. But we're all different......thankfully.

Anyway my approach is the cycling is only part of the point.
old fangled
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I'm toying with the idea of taking 2 weeks to do it though a day or two quicker, this is for 2023 so pleanty of time to plan things.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Or ,alternatively,you could approach the challenge from a whole different viewpoint and adopt the "Everest" method i.e.do the distance on your chosen roads,cherry picking the best ones from all over the country.That way,you could combine a holiday with the family ,doing your miles before lunch.Is this "cheating"?Only you can answer that.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I agree with Paul, take as long as you want, stop as often as you want and just enjoy it ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi,

As others have said its all about doing it your way given the normal constraints of money, family and time. IMHO as long as you touch base at both ends it really doesn't matter how long or what route you take.

I'm all booked to do LEJOG from mid May this year, we are taking 2 weeks because my son who is doing it with me can only reasonably take 2 weeks from work, I'll be retired by then so have more time if I wanted but then costs would rise. We need travel time either end, so given our constraints we'll travel down in a day, ride 12 off 80 mile days and have at least 2 days to get home. We live in Essex, JoG is a good 700 miles which is a loooong way whichever way you travel :)

Therefore just go out and enjoy the ride your way :)

Cheers,

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad