How long can a JOGLE take?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Bmblbzzz

Re: How long can a JOGLE take?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Walkers call this section hiking, as distinct from through hiking. It's probably the most common way of walking big routes like the Continental Divide.

As for cheating, first there would have to be rules.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Jogle is generally taken to mean riding from John O’Groats to Lands End in a single outing, without trips home and breaks in between. If you break it up you will still have ridden a contiguous series of routes between the two, just not as a continuous journey.

But remember you are not planning your riding, so you can say you’ve ridden jogle. You are planning your riding for the experience, and the experience is the most important thing.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Blondie wrote: 17 Feb 2022, 9:10am Jogle is generally taken to mean riding from John O’Groats to Lands End in a single outing, without trips home and breaks in between. If you break it up you will still have ridden a contiguous series of routes between the two, just not as a continuous journey.

But remember you are not planning your riding, so you can say you’ve ridden jogle. You are planning your riding for the experience, and the experience is the most important thing.
That’s certainly pushing the boundaries of my understanding of an 'outing'. :D
I agree with Jogle is generally taken to mean riding from John O’Groats to Lands End though.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I wonder what the record for the slowest jogle is?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

My average time for the 3 times I've done it is over 2 months.
I normally starting my JOGLE by taking 3-4 weeks to cycle to LE, then 8-10 weeks to cycle to JOG, followed by another 3-4 weeks to cycle home.
At roughly 50 miles a day, that's over 4k miles for the whole tour and around 2.5k for JOGLE.
As you might have guessed I tended to wander a bit between the two points.
But when you're on a recumbent trike pulling a trailer the only public transport you can use are ferries.
Max number of different ferries used on one UK tour was 21, but I did end up in the Shetlands on that tour which helped on the ferry count.
I even used the Windermere ferry just to add it to the list ....... :lol:

Luck ............ :D
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

21 ferries... I hope you got a loyalty card!
plodding_cyclist

Post by plodding_cyclist »

I did mine last year in August, got off route so often. There are so many things to see and enjoy along the route and looking at it now I still missed some things. I bikepacked it and so was carrying a lot of extra (somewhat unnecessary) weight with me and so the hills were not at all fun (Lake District in particular) and I struggled some days with keeping going. I ended up taking I think 18 days. Scotland was a highlight. I say take your time and see what you want when you want. There is no fun in rushing from one point to another and its those little gems and views along the way that make any time exploring this route worth it. Enjoy the trip and take your time :D
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

plodding_cyclist wrote: 1 Mar 2022, 8:49am I did mine last year in August, got off route so often. There are so many things to see and enjoy along the route and looking at it now I still missed some things. I bikepacked it and so was carrying a lot of extra (somewhat unnecessary) weight with me and so the hills were not at all fun (Lake District in particular) and I struggled some days with keeping going. I ended up taking I think 18 days. Scotland was a highlight. I say take your time and see what you want when you want. There is no fun in rushing from one point to another and its those little gems and views along the way that make any time exploring this route worth it. Enjoy the trip and take your time :D
I met and old fella riding a Bates Cantiflex about twenty years ago, we were cooling off at Bridge of Orchy and he came thru, plodding away till he saw us and stopped. The bike was lovely, and every bearing part oozing fresh grease. He was taking 22 days end to end smh dead thoroughly enjoying himself on his own, at his own pace.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

If it isn't ridden non stop then surely it isn't JoGLE just JoG to Bettyhill (wherever) and is therefore just a series of day rides, take as many days between a start point and an end point with as many stops as suits you.
I took 3 years and in 4 sections, I could do it in 10 days, but I really wouldn't want risk of 10 days of solid rain.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I think a reasonable question could also be why does the LEJOG generally get seen as a ride of 10 days to 2 weeks compared to most touring routes that plan for around 50 miles a day. As a touring cyclist I look at LEJOG schedules and scratch my head a bit and conclude it’s more seen as an expedition or proof of something rather than an enjoyable trip.

Even when I was doing serious amounts of touring I didn’t budget for more than 50 miles a day (I was the sort of idiot who ignored number of passes though so metres climbed could be quite spectacular). More than 4-6 hours cycling per day I find dull so LEJOG seems to have turned into something for Lycra warriors rather than amblers like me.

Not that that would stop me if I fancied doing it- I’d probably just split the route in 2 and do it as two separate trips (which I still think counts as completing LEJOG- not that I’d particularly care as I’m not bothered about proving anything ) or is the scenery/ places to visit so dull that it doesn’t warrant any time off the bike?
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

" LEJOG seems to have turned into something for Lycra warriors .."

This is not the sort of offensive comment one expects to read of a cycling forum. More in keeping with the insulting and negative observations made by certain drivers, I would have thought.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I probably expressed myself badly and I’m definitely pro all cyclists. I just meant that when I look at typical LEJOG pace it’s a far bigger average daily mileage than most other long distance routes.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I think the pace , for many people, is dictated by the milage divided by the number of days off work.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

What other purpose might anybody have in riding from one end of England to the other end of Scotland (or vice versa) at whatever speed except for the personal achievement doing it? That's emphasised by the problems of getting to the start and returning from the finish. So, any scenery or similar along the way is often incidental: it's a restriction on planning a tour.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Tiggertoo wrote: 5 Mar 2022, 7:27pm " LEJOG seems to have turned into something for Lycra warriors .."

This is not the sort of offensive comment one expects to read of a cycling forum. More in keeping with the insulting and negative observations made by certain drivers, I would have thought.
I didn't read it as offensive at all, I think it's an interesting point - as soon as you add a "name" to something be it LEJOG, NC500, Three Peaks, Coast to Coast or whatever it happens to be, some people start to view it as something to be "ticked off" and will therefore go out and smash it just to say they've done it. There's not necessarily anything wrong with that although some people (me included!) would be questioning why you're battering up the A6 as fast as possible when there are far more scenic and interesting routes literally a few hundred metres off to either side. Is the point of a tour to get from A to B as quickly as possible or is it to take your time, stop en-route, enjoy the scenery, take diversions, pause for a few days...? Only the individual can answer that.

It depends how you define a tour which takes us back to the original question of how long a JOGLE / LEJOG can take. Personally, I think if you do (say) JOG to Carlisle, then get the train home and and a month later come back and do Carlisle to Ludlow, train home and then come back a month after that to do Ludlow to LE, you've not really "done" JOGLE, you've done a series of short point-to-point tours - I'd view a tour as a ride from A -> B with stops along the way according to your desires. I reckon if you took 3 months to ride from JOG to LE following the coast all the way, it's still technically a JOGLE, just a very long and circuitous one.