iWoc one

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Godzy89

iWoc one

Post by Godzy89 »

Hello all
Have been looking into getting an ebike and have come across a Bianchi Impulso E-Allroad TRK Disc which looks pretty much what im after
I do a bit of road, canal paths and trails and it looks like it can easily cover these
The one thing it does have is an iwoc one system and im not sure how easy/safe it is to have the mode selector on the cross tube
Does anyone have a bike with the iwoc system that can advise on the use of the mode selector and whether they are better or worse than a handlebar unit
Have tried a couple of bikes with a handlebar unit and they are very easy to use

Thank you in advance for any replies

John
richtea99

Re: iWoc one

Post by richtea99 »

I have the ebikemotion/Mahle system on my bike, with the iWoc button.
A handlebar-mounted button/set of buttons would be easier to use, but unless you have serious balance problems I'd say it's not a deal breaker.

The main reason is that realistically you don't change the power very often on the average ride.
You might increase it up a hill (that takes 2 quick presses), or you might decrease it (up to 4 presses as you cycle through the modes).

The time that one hand is off the handlebars is only a few seconds.

If you really want to have handlebar-mounted buttons they do offer the iWoc Trio. I'd say the cost isn't worth it ((£50 or so, plus dealer's labour), but you may disagree.

Here's the guide to using both, on the Ribble site:
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/blog/how ... e-e-bikes/
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Thanks rich
I think, for me, i would prefer a bar mount so will check with the dealer tomorrow if they offer the add on
I do like the look of the bike and its well under my budget so i could be a winner 😊🚴‍♂️

Thank again

John
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

Good stuff. There are some bargains out there, but you probably know that already:
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bianch ... -2021/SR1V

However, you can't easily put a price on a good local dealer who will sort out any niggles / fit an iWoc Trio etc, of course!
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Thats exactly where ive seen it 😊
Paul A

Post by Paul A »

I've just bought a Bianchi e-impulso and agree that the only place to site the iWoc button that could be more impractical would be on the rear mudguard. :? Why couldn't it be on the crossbar where you can actually see it?
The salesman agreed with my concerns and said that that most of his customers decide to buy the remote display unit made by Orbea which is designed to work with the Mahle X35 motor so it's totally compatible with any x35 set up. You can change the power output, check the battery level in %, it's also a speedo and it even records your ride to Strava if you want to leave your Garmin at home.

You don't need to remember how many button presses does what or what the changing rainbow of colours of the LED means because all the info is displayed on the screen which can be mounted on the bars or the stem. They're about 80 quid but they offer so much more than the iWoc Trio.
peterb

Post by peterb »

That is a strange place to put the iWoc button, although no more difficult than old school down tube gear levers I suppose. I have an Orbea Gain and a Ribble SLe and the iWoc on both is on the top tube about 3" back from the stem. I hardly ever look at them as I use the app on a bar mounted phone. The latest app update appears to include the facility to change the assistance level via the phone display. I say 'appears' because I haven't been able to try it in practice as yet given the heavyweight gloves necessary currently. The only problem I've had using the iWOC button is finding it difficult to use with numb fingers on very cold winter rides, but that would be equally true for a bar mounted control.

edit: The assistance level indicated on the app screen does change - just tried it, bike static - will report back when tried on the road
Last edited by peterb on 20 Feb 2023, 12:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul A

Post by Paul A »

I'd thought of using my phone but with a Garmin 1000 explore and Cat Eye light already on the bars I'd be running out of space.
Yes, the iWoc button on my bike is in exactly the same awkward place as the old school shifters - I hadn't thought of that! :)

But you wouldn't want to go back to that set up, there's a reason shifter levers moved away from that location and never returned! :wink:
Last edited by Paul A on 21 Feb 2023, 11:46am, edited 1 time in total.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Can it be linked to your Garmin?
Paul A

Post by Paul A »

To be honest I don't know as I haven't actually used the bike yet. Since I bought it I've been on holiday.
Here's the link to the Orbea website. The gadget itself is called 'Orbea Coachsmart' . I should have mentioned that earlier.
It links via Ant and Bluetooth.

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/support/man ... ual-es-en/
Attachments
IMG_20230220_151612.jpg
IMG_20230220_151715.jpg
peterb

Post by peterb »

Update to my post above:

I've just road tested the assistance level control via the Smartbike app display on my smartphone and it works fine, + and - without scrolling.
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Just an update
I decided to not go with that bike due to weight and also the position o the button was a little off putting
I ended up going for an Orbea Vibe H30 with a bar mounted controller and am really happy that i made the decision
It feels safer to just be able to change the assistance without letting go of the bar but that might just be me
peterb

Post by peterb »

Godzy89 wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 9:04am Just an update
I decided to not go with that bike due to weight and also the position o the button was a little off putting
I ended up going for an Orbea Vibe H30 with a bar mounted controller and am really happy that i made the decision
It feels safer to just be able to change the assistance without letting go of the bar but that might just be me
Looks good! I've never had any problems using the iWoc button on the top tube - likethe H30. But I used to ride bikes with down tube shifters. I've also realised recently that the latest version of the Smartbike app allows you to control the assistance level via your phone screen, so I'll be using that more when glove free riding is possible.
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

peterb wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 12:08pm
Godzy89 wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 9:04am Just an update
Looks good! I've never had any problems using the iWoc button on the top tube - likethe H30. But I used to ride bikes with down tube shifters. I've also realised recently that the latest version of the Smartbike app allows you to control the assistance level via your phone screen, so I'll be using that more when glove free riding is possible.
I must admit that i have never used the app while out and about as i have set the assistance, sent it to the bike and thats about it
I use my Garmin for details at the end of the ride but may try the app out at least once
peterb

Post by peterb »

I use the app all the time on rides to monitor speed, distance, assistance level, battery level/s, range remaining etc, but only recently confirmed that you can also actually control the assistance level, up and down, via your phone screen (as well as/instead of the iWoc button). I use a dedicated smartphone (and a power bank on longer rides). I don't use a Garmin. I upload the ride details to the Smartbike dashboard at the end of a ride and can also be linked to Strava if you wish.