Bike tips

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
SecretSam

Bike tips

Post by SecretSam »

Morning all, have an opportunity to do a solo LEJOG this year, nothing daft, I'll take two weeks over it and enjoy the view!

Bike wise, if I'm hotel/B&B'ing (no camping, I'm over 50 :lol: ) I suspect a winter bike/touring bike would be fine, as I'll be carrying (say) two light panniers? I'd have to adjust the gearing from the current 50/34 + 11-30, mind...

I'll also review the saddle and seat pin situation, it's an alloy frame and a little harsh, so carbon + something less racy might be in order.

All tips very welcome!
Jdsk

Re: Bike tips

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Is that your current bike, and can you tell us bit more about it?

And have you done anything like this before?

Thanks

Jonathan
SecretSam

Post by SecretSam »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Feb 2022, 8:23am Is that your current bike, and can you tell us bit more about it?
Hiya. Pinnacle Dolomite 4, 2017, 105 (11 speed, previous generation), alloy frame, carbon fork, mudguard compatible; probably takes a 25/28mm with 'guards. Disc brakes (hydraulic); currently fitted with Prime alloy wheels (stock wheels were a bit lardy); SPD pedals. Gearing 50/34 + 11/30, short cage rear mech. In excellent nick.
Jdsk wrote: 9 Feb 2022, 8:23am And have you done anything like this before?
Nope! I did a ten day organised tour in Brittany, back in 1986!!!!! Plenty of one day events, PRL, the usual, typically up to 60 miles. Turbo trainer, Zwift, etc. All the gear...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

My tips would be:

1 Improve general fitness.

2 If you're going to make any changes to the bike make them early as possible so that you find out if anything doesn't work and train on what you'll actually be riding.

3 Do lots of test runs that mimic your actual plan as closely as possible, testing everything: you, the bike, the position, the packing, the navigating, the distances, the hours...

Have fun

Jonathan
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I'd recommend any aluminium or carbon gravel bike, with wider tyres. My set up is a carbon frame, with disc braking and 42mm tubeless tyres. I have not punctured once in two years. I carry a large (17L pack under the saddle) and a 12L bar bag. That's nearly 30L which should suffice for a week /10 day tour for any purposes.

This has actuality become my go to bike for any distance work. Its incredibly comfortable, has zero puncture issues, is lightweight and the braking is incredibly good.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

I did LEJOG last year on my usual road bike, bikepacking. 28mm tyres and with a lowest gear of 36/32. I'm 86kg so no lightweight. I'd suggest your current gearing should be fine
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

A good breakfast.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Three pairs of cycling shorts. One to wear, one to wash, and one for emergencies! This isn't as weird as it seems, the shock to the system of riding big miles every day, continuously can play havoc with your digestion. If you get my meaning. Also be prepared to eat, and drink a lot, I reckon I was packing away at least 4500cals a day, and I STILL managed to lose 4kg start to finish :lol:
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

SecretSam wrote: 9 Feb 2022, 7:32am
I'll also review the saddle and seat pin situation, it's an alloy frame and a little harsh, so carbon + something less racy might be in order.

All tips very welcome!
Often just lowering tyre pressures or fitting wider tyres (again at lower pressures) can remove the harshness. Unless your tyre pressures are so low the tyres squirm or steering is vague, there’s quite a range of pressures that can work well.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Blondie wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 1:52pm
SecretSam wrote: 9 Feb 2022, 7:32am

All tips very welcome!
Often just lowering tyre pressures or fitting wider tyres (again at lower pressures) can remove the harshness. Unless your tyre pressures are so low the tyres squirm or steering is vague, there’s quite a range of pressures that can work well.
+1 I usually run my front tyre setting around 55psi which is a bit soft for some but is very comfortable up front in long rides, really makes a difference. I very, very rarely puncture on the front.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I think you want a 36t cassette just in case you hit the wall on day one, like I did!!

This will mean a new rd but that's small change in the big scheme of things.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Jamesh wrote: 6 Mar 2022, 10:18pm I think you want a 36t cassette just in case you hit the wall on day one, like I did!!

This will mean a new rd but that's small change in the big scheme of things.
Yes, lower the gears a bit, don't take too much luggage, don't get stressed if you have to walk up the odd hill or two, don't let a lot of advice make it seem harder than it is, and have fun.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

SecretSam wrote: 9 Feb 2022, 8:51am
Jdsk wrote: 9 Feb 2022, 8:23am And have you done anything like this before?
Nope! I did a ten day organised tour in Brittany, back in 1986!!!!! Plenty of one day events, PRL, the usual, typically up to 60 miles. Turbo trainer, Zwift, etc. All the gear...
I’m kind of surprised that no one has suggested that you do a shorter tour first. What about doing say a coast to coast over three or even four days first, then you can ‘upscale’ from that using what you’ve just discovered during that ‘preparation’ tour.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 7 Mar 2022, 8:13amI’m kind of surprised that no one has suggested that you do a shorter tour first. What about doing say a coast to coast over three or even four days first, then you can ‘upscale’ from that using what you’ve just discovered during that ‘preparation’ tour.
Jdsk wrote: 9 Feb 2022, 8:56am Do lots of test runs that mimic your actual plan as closely as possible, testing everything: you, the bike, the position, the packing, the navigating, the distances, the hours...
; - )

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Fair comment. Maybe I’m a bit less subtle and a bit more explicit. To an extent I think that the build-up via preparatory tour(s) is essential rather than (as might be thought) a nice to have. The OP can choose what suits him, but after that he has to make his choices work ...

Depending on the route taken I understand that the journey can be some 1100 plus miles long or as ‘little’ as 874 miles *, depending on your preferences some routes will be better to ride than others. Two weeks is a lot of time; however that’s also fourteen days in a row of, regardless, doing say 70 miles per day ...

* https://www.sustrans.org.uk/national-cy ... oats-lejog
* https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cycli ... hn-ogroats
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.