Bike tips

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jamesh

Re: Bike tips

Post by Jamesh »

I’m kind of surprised that no one has suggested that you do a shorter tour first. What about doing say a coast to coast over three or even four days first, then you can ‘upscale’ from that using what you’ve just discovered during that ‘preparation’ tour.
[/quote]

Or at least back to back days....
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Another tip I’d give is have a think about what kind of version appeals to you. A LEJOG where the accommodation is booked from one end to the other, with a fixed schedule. A tour where you just book a few days ahead based on how you are going.

You also haven’t said whether the 14 days is the number of cycling days or includes travel to / from start / finish. Once you’ve worked out your route (and it’s distance) and the number of cycling days you’ll have an idea of your average daily mileage. As others have stated go ride that distance, a few back to back days, fully loaded as you would be for lejog. Does distance feel alright, does the bike feel not too heavy or are you carrying too much?
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

Is it even possible to only book a few days at a time? I don't like having to slavishly follow a schedule, but if I have to, I will. I do like the idea of checking at the tourist offices, since they know what is what. That is what was done in the olden days, after all.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote: 9 Mar 2022, 7:43am I’m kind of surprised that no one has suggested that you do a shorter tour first. What about doing say a coast to coast over three or even four days first, then you can ‘upscale’ from that using what you’ve just discovered during that ‘preparation’ tour.

Or at least back to back days....
Jdsk wrote: 9 Feb 2022, 8:56am 3 Do lots of test runs that mimic your actual plan as closely as possible, testing everything: you, the bike, the position, the packing, the navigating, the distances, the hours...

: - )

Jonathan