Single night stay at campsite in Lake District

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Spen

Single night stay at campsite in Lake District

Post by Spen »

Now that all those staycationers look like they can jet off to where ever again this year there might be a chance of getting onto a campsite a a time I can get off work. I've just been looking and it seems like every site I've stayed at before that's now on a website require a minimum of 2 nights and don't say if they accept walk/ride ons without booking.

Does anyone know if anyone has compiled a list of sites that do single night stays and/or walk ons?
bohrsatom

Re: Single night stay at campsite in Lake District

Post by bohrsatom »

In my experience, the cyclist/hiker is such a small part of a British campsite’s potential market that websites rarely cater for our requirements

Best to either call them or if you can stomach it just show up and hope for the best. The latter might seem risky but it’s harder to turn someone down when they’re standing in front of you
Spen

Post by Spen »

That's the impression I get. It wasn't so long ago that you could just pack the car on Friday afternoon and camp until Sunday. I blame covid and all these online booking sites :(
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Different National Park but this sounds relevant

Yorkshire Dales glamping growth pricing out campers in tents

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-60515508
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 7:30pm Different National Park but this sounds relevant

Yorkshire Dales glamping growth pricing out campers in tents

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-60515508
sad - very - can see this leading to a growth in freecamping, folk passing through - but won't really be an option for families or in cars.
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We found that in Belgium a few years back we had to book. Year before in Brittany we had to stay in a hotel, two rooms! No campsite anywhere we could reach had space. Other n days we'd get up and spend a while calling sites begging to be let in somewhere.

The lakes was getting that way before pandemic with 2 even 3 might minimums. The staycation situation only sped moves towards that in more places. I think one night stays might mean two night levels of site fees.

Unless you're a regular somewhere and they remember you or have good syste that highlight the number of previous stays there. They don't like peeing off people who visit a lot including low season.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Assuming small tent - Camping & Caravan club sites generally will try and squeeze you in.
Near Staveley, Kendal & Keswick.
You don't have to be a member but you will have pay extra if not./
Not cheap in the first place but very good facilities.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Assuming small tent - Camping & Caravan club sites generally will try and squeeze you in.
Not cheap in the first place but very good facilities
This was suspended due to the pandemic, not sure it has been reinstated. I would be interested to know other people's experiences this year as I have in the past not booked C&CC sites and just turned up and always was squeezed in. I'm now booking ahead, but backpacker rates not available online, so either ringing or booking the car rate online and getting the difference knocked off when I arrive - not been an issue yet.
Back to the main topic - yes, this is totally my experience in recent years and especially now. Was recently quoted £30 a night and £100 deposit. For one person and a tent.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Slowroad wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 8:30pm Was recently quoted £30 a night and £100 deposit. For one person and a tent.
!
Sweep
plodding_cyclist

Post by plodding_cyclist »

Last year I was doing my LEJOG and I had wandered into the Lake district. There is a pub called the Kirkstone Pass Inn at the top near Red Scree and they let me camp just outside their parking spot for free there were no issues other than a bit of noise from some early walkers and some sheep nibbling that woke me up nervous as heck for a bit. If you don't mind the lack of facilities at night the pub does good food, the views are amazing and it is free. Also as a bonus the cycle down into Ullswater was amazing. If you fancy a small hike you can park your bike and camp at the top. Which is my intention this year.
20210827_180044.jpg
20210827_184043.jpg
IMG-20210827-WA0003.jpeg
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Slowroad wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 8:30pm

This was suspended due to the pandemic, not sure it has been reinstated. I would be interested to know other people's experiences this year as I have in the past not booked C&CC sites and just turned up and always was squeezed in.
Keswick, I've always simply turned up at all campsites and never had an issue getting a pitch. No issues weekend just gone, on turning up C & C at Keswick unannounced.

Though have to be admit, Lakes campsites are becoming so expensive, will seriously have to try some other way to camp out
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Keswick has two C&C sites I think and they always, always used to be book only and two nights minimum. Before lockdown my parents used to book a month or two in advance to make sure they get in but have missed out once or twice. You must be lucky if you got in after turning up. I guess a canmight have happened.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Tangled Metal wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 10:19pm Keswick has two C&C sites I think and they always, always used to be book only and two nights minimum. Before lockdown my parents used to book a month or two in advance to make sure they get in but have missed out once or twice. You must be lucky if you got in after turning up. I guess a canmight have happened.
Well, think it's worth posting that I've never had an issue. Have stayed on both C & C sites on an innumerable no. of occasions since 2006. When backpacking, cycling, day in Keswick via bus. Once or twice for 2-3 nights, once for a week+, normally a single night. Never had an issue, whether turning up at 1pm (This Saturday) or 9pm+ (Last time).
Dora.knows

Post by Dora.knows »

Slowroad wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 8:30pm
Not cheap in the first place but very good facilities
This was suspended due to the pandemic, not sure it has been reinstated. I would be interested to know other people's experiences this year as I have in the past not booked C&CC sites and just turned up and always was squeezed in. I'm now booking ahead, but backpacker rates not available online, so either ringing or booking the car rate online and getting the difference knocked off when I arrive - not been an issue yet.
Back to the main topic - yes, this is totally my experience in recent years and especially now. Was recently quoted £30 a night and £100 deposit. For one person and a tent.
It seems the rule hasn't been reinstated, at least not everywhere. I arrived at a C&CC site on Friday (though not in the lakes) and before I could even open my mouth to speak the lady was already sending me away, saying they were full. I didn't have the stones to ask her about a backpacker rate, but a fella told me in the morning that there wasn't one, the price is the same for all non-members.

Fortunately I had booked in advance....maybe my £24 got me all of the remaining pitches....
IMG_20220514_081934.jpg
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I’d normally say £24 is a bit steep for one person but looking at the size of that pitch…