Oh balls. May contain tubeless tyre failure content.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PedallingSquares

Re: Oh balls. May contain tubeless tyre failure content.

Post by PedallingSquares »

I'll stick to tubed.
Tried tubeless in various guises on the mountain bikes and it always failed.Always carried two spare tubes anyway so it made sense to go back to tubed.
I can see absolutely no reason for me to go tubeless.
It annoys me slightly when the CC guys who run tubeless don't carry a spare tube because 'someone else will have one'.
jamm13dodger

Post by jamm13dodger »

PedallingSquares wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 4:33pm It annoys me slightly when the CC guys who run tubeless don't carry a spare tube because 'someone else will have one'.
Unacceptable behaviour breaking Rule 83. ( https://www.velominati.com/ ) :lol:
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

PedallingSquares wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 4:33pm I'll stick to tubed.
Tried tubeless in various guises on the mountain bikes and it always failed.Always carried two spare tubes anyway so it made sense to go back to tubed.
It annoys me slightly when the CC guys who run tubeless don't carry a spare tube because 'someone else will have one'.
I’ve got one tubed tyre, and one tubeless on the bike at present. The difference is actually very noticeable. The tubed tyre feels a lot more draggy. It’s particularly noticeable cornering.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 4:37pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 4:33pm I'll stick to tubed.
I’ve got one tubed tyre, and one tubeless on the bike at present. The difference is actually very noticeable. The tubed tyre feels a lot more draggy. It’s particularly noticeable cornering.
Do you have a trike??
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Had my second tubeless puncture in about 18 months. The first was a disaster, puncture led to a deflation to 30 psi before limping home. Worm didn’t take in the large ish hole and couldn’t be inflated beyond 50 psi so tyre was written off. I’ve kept it as a tubed replacement. The latest experience was more successful, going up a hill I heard the Catherine wheeling of sealant hitting the mudguard so stopped at the top and did the squeeze test. Felt ok so continued as it was hailing at the time and didn’t want to risk making it worse by over inflation. When home checked the pressure and it had only lost 5 psi before self sealing. Added extra sealant and all has been fine at its normal pressure of 65psi. All tyres have sweated sealant out of sidewalls without noticeable loss of pressure. Fitting is an art form but I’m confident now. Nice to ride on but it is a big learning curve for limited reward IME. Tyres used Schwalbe pro ones 28 mm.