War on Our Doorstep: How do we respond?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: War on Our Doorstep: How do we respond?

Post by Psamathe »

On the radio this morning was a brief bit saying Turkey, despite agreeing has suddenly shown "questions". It reported Erdoğan has now said that the Turkish Parliament might not agree to Finland and Sweden joining NATO.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 6:21pm On the radio this morning was a brief bit saying Turkey, despite agreeing has suddenly shown "questions". It reported Erdoğan has now said that the Turkish Parliament might not agree to Finland and Sweden joining NATO.
The timeline so far:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland–N ... pplication

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:28pmI have no idea how much standardisation there is across NATO kit e.g. does the training currently happening in the UK also provide knowledge covering operation of US provides kit or German provided kit?
A lot more than would happen without the enormous effort that's gone into this. And a lot less than is desirable at the operational level.

There are hundreds of agreements:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standardization_Agreement
and they cover an enormous range of technology, procedures and doctrine. Notable successes include ammunition, fuel, mapping and communications.

But of course it's difficult because of history and nationalistic preferences in procurement in a massive economic sector.

The supplies to Ukraine are clearing out a lot of stocks of old gear and the new is relatively more standardised.

One of the unusual features of this war is the ease of training Ukrainian combatants both in Ukraine and in supporting countries.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 11:22am ...
One of the unusual features of this war is the ease of training Ukrainian combatants both in Ukraine and in supporting countries.

Jonathan
Good point. I'd expect most Ukrainian forces being trained are very motivated, paying 110% attention to the instruction (not thinking about the pub after todays exercises end a.s.a.p). They will be asking questions and making sure they understand everything they can because unlike many troops in peacetime they know straight after the training they'll be home on the front line using their training and their lives depending on it.

Ian
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 11:30am Good point. I'd expect most Ukrainian forces being trained are very motivated, paying 110% attention to the instruction (not thinking about the pub after todays exercises end a.s.a.p). They will be asking questions and making sure they understand everything they can because unlike many troops in peacetime they know straight after the training they'll be home on the front line using their training and their lives depending on it.
From the early 1970s to the mid 1990s anyone who joined the British Army would have known the chances of being deployed to Northern Ireland were high. And that the only year a British soldier hasn't died on operations since WW2 is 1969.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 11:30am
Jdsk wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 11:22am ...
Good point. I'd expect most Ukrainian forces being trained are very motivated, paying 110% attention to the instruction (not thinking about the pub after todays exercises end a.s.a.p). They will be asking questions and making sure they understand everything they can because unlike many troops in peacetime they know straight after the training they'll be home on the front line using their training and their lives depending on it.
Yes. It's completely different.

And it reminds me of why the armed forces in the UK were so keen to end National Service. They wanted highly motivated professionals rather than reluctant conscripts.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

As I have posted previously, Francis Scarr of BBC Monitoring is monitoring reporting on russian TV.

I had thought I could not be surprised any more by the material he is posting, but just see the very short video in the link below.

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/statu ... a6kP8qAAAA

I realise that people like that exist in every country; I just find it jaw dropping for the state broadcaster to show it.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

The EU has agreed to cut gas by 15% as Russia cuts German gas supplies. At the start of Russia's war it was suggested lowering thermostats by 1% would help starve Putin of money. Like the British Cycling Olympics small changes contributed to wins . Households are safe. It is business that is more in danger. As with COVID and with the climate change crisis are UK businesses doing enough? eg encouraging cycling and switching to solar (big firms have the cash)..Helping Germany with a little UK coal to supplement their stocks.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

briansnail wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 8:17am As with COVID and with the climate change crisis are UK businesses doing enough? eg encouraging cycling and switching to solar (big firms have the cash)..
Hang on, I think I know this one - it's a rhetorical question, isn't it! I've heard of these ...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Earlier on in the war many were being highly critical of Germany for continuing to buy Russia gas and in doing so "funding Putin's War". Yet now Putin is dramatically reducing the gas quantities he's selling to the West. Whilst what gas is being sold is being sold at a high price, in reducing the volume of gas flowing to Europe so much is Putin de-funding his own war? or were the accusations of Germany funding Putin's War somewhat overstated?

Is Putin make another strategic error and accelerating the damage to the Russian economy? Whilst the war might not be daily headline news, I can't see the West reducing support for Ukraine (arms, etc.)

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 1:54pm Earlier on in the war many were being highly critical of Germany for continuing to buy Russia gas and in doing so "funding Putin's War". Yet now Putin is dramatically reducing the gas quantities he's selling to the West. Whilst what gas is being sold is being sold at a high price, in reducing the volume of gas flowing to Europe so much is Putin de-funding his own war? or were the accusations of Germany funding Putin's War somewhat overstated?

Is Putin make another strategic error and accelerating the damage to the Russian economy? Whilst the war might not be daily headline news, I can't see the West reducing support for Ukraine (arms, etc.)

Ian
Russia is selling plenty of oil and gas in Asia. Even Saudi Arabia is buying a lot of Russian oil at low prices for their domestic use. This gives them more oil to sell at higher prices to the west. You've got to admire their low cunning.

The sanctions may not be as effective as people think.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sia-europe
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chatting to a Russian lady today.
She has decided not to speak Russian ever again.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bulk carrier leaving Odessa loaded with grain.
https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9086526
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote: 1 Aug 2022, 2:44pm Bulk carrier leaving Odessa loaded with grain.
https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9086526
That'll be this one

BBC News - Ukraine war: First grain ship leaves under Russia deal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62375580
Screenshot_20220802_090209_bbc.mobile.news.uk.jpg
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.