Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Post by gbnz »

Loved that Tory "Minister /Functionary" reflecting on Radio 4, Today program this morning. In relation to a proposed railway strike. Apparently in other EU countries, the state has put legislation in place, to ensure the railways can continue running, even during strike action. Aside from the Tory love of effectively banning strike action, he didn't seem to realise that we aren't a EU country anymore :lol:

Time and time again, he referred to how in "other EU countries" , strike action on the railways is controlled by legislation. It's all very well wishing we operated like "other EU countries", but he didn't seem to recognize that we have Brexit Freedom now, which may include ensuring strikes can happen on the railways :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 9:59am
pete75 wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 9:43am
Carlton green wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 8:42am You’re not wrong but mostly the folk who are using a measuring unit are using it in isolation to other properties so such a relationship is irrelevant to them. What is relevance to those users is the ease of use of the measuring system and it’s applicability to their immediate needs.
A poor defence of the imperial system. The metric system is much easier to use.
You might find it so but others differ. The imperial system has evolved and worked well for millions of people over many centuries. That’s not to say that metric doesn’t work too and work well, but rather that imperial worked and works for its users. I use both systems but in day to day life I find imperial units simply easier and more meaningful to use.
The Imperial system isn't even two centuries old... it has two or four years until that birthday depending on whether it's defined by the specification or the mandation.

English units are much older by name. But only by name. There were very large numbers of alternatives and local variations. That was the major driver for introducing the Imperial system.

And it not working well enough was the reason that so many British metrologists worked so hard on designing and promoting the metric system.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jb wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 12:57pmI use inches when building anything at home because I can see them better, I can visualize 2 thou better than I can 5 hundredths of a mm, I own imperial machine tools but non of that is relevant to a world wide system of measuring that was put together with a far better understanding of how the world works.
Yes, even when familiarity is discounted there will be some tasks where traditional units work better. But, as you say, the decision should be taken on overall advantages and disadvantages.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re the minister for Brexit opportunities himself, he may be an increasing liability to Boris Johnson in that his lofty pronouncements have been so inconsistent in an easily demonstrated way ie not explained away by "this is different," Everything he had to say as he shuffled Teresa May towards the exit is already being quoted to contradict his justifications for keeping Boris Johnson in office. viz an increasing embarrassment
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Jun 2022, 11:13am Re the minister for Brexit opportunities himself, he may be an increasing liability to Boris Johnson in that his lofty pronouncements have been so inconsistent in an easily demonstrated way ie not explained away by "this is different," Everything he had to say as he shuffled Teresa May towards the exit is already being quoted to contradict his justifications for keeping Boris Johnson in office. viz an increasing embarrassment
He's as inconsistent as the God he worships,the other god he accumulates is a further display of the inconsistency of the first God!
He and his ilk would tell you the Moon was made of green cheese if they thought they could profit from it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

New report from the Resolution Foundation.

"The Big Brexit. An assessment of the scale of change to come from Brexit":
https://economy2030.resolutionfoundatio ... ig-brexit/

It's about the economics. And the future, not the past.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Minister for Brexit Opportunism

Post by Jdsk »

Frost's speech on the sixth anniversary of the referendum;

"Brexit six years on: is it working?":
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/lord-david-frost- ... t-working/

I hope that the Minister for Brexit Opportunities has studied it carefully in his search for benefits.

Jonathan
francovendee

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunism

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:18pm Frost's speech on the sixth anniversary of the referendum;

I hope that the Minister for Brexit Opportunities has studied it carefully in his search for benefits.

Jonathan
Reading the link it would seem that we are wrong and Brexit is working apart from ------- remainers taking things out of contex!
Just one man's view without factual instances to back it up. He should get on well with JRM.
Jdsk

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunism

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:34pm
Jdsk wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:18pm Frost's speech on the sixth anniversary of the referendum;

Reading the link it would seem that we are wrong and Brexit is working apart from ------- remainers taking things out of contex!
Just one man's view without factual instances to back it up. He should get on well with JRM.
It isn't just an absence of benefits... it's a complete state of denial.

Jonathan

PS: In the light of his own constitutional position I was particularly impressed by: "Moreover in Britain we can now change everything by elections.".
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Resolution Foundation...The Guardian, still the teechers paper. Both highly biased and anti British. Always trying to beat everybody down. Best ignored...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Jonathan
It isn't just an absence of benefits... it's a complete state of denial.
Al
The Resolution Foundation...The Guardian, still the teechers paper. Both highly biased and anti British. Always trying to beat everybody down. Best ignored...
You've got to laugh.

Oh, and Al, that fishing revival I warned you Brexit wouldn't deliver:
Screenshot_20220624-130047_Samsung Notes.jpg
Oh.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:52pm The Resolution Foundation...The Guardian, still the teechers paper. Both highly biased and anti British. Always trying to beat everybody down. Best ignored...

Al
I suppose closing your ears to information you don't like is easier than actually engaging with and refuting the conclusions.
Do you think spelling teechers wrongly adds anything to your post?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Al,

You don’t own “Britishness”, and isn’t isn’t yours to steal and stick your personal, grubby little flag in.

If Britishness exists at all as a thing, it encompasses all the sometimes opposing views, and multiversity of behaviours of the people of Britain,

In all probability my “British” is very different from yours, but is no less legitimate as an identity or set of beliefs.

Kevin
Last edited by Nearholmer on 24 Jun 2022, 3:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:52pm The Resolution Foundation...The Guardian, still the teechers paper. Both highly biased and anti British. Always trying to beat everybody down. Best ignored...

Al
You post some ballacks! :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Al
Why is it that people who take a different view (and often justify that view with fact and figures) are classed as "anti-British". You can disagree with how people interpret information and facts they present without having to make wild accusations just because they don't happen to follow your personal stance on issues.

Ian