Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Post by pete75 »

Rees-Mogg is now Minister for Brexit Opportunities. The only possible opportunity I can see from Brexit is to stop using the metric system and revert to Imperial measurements. Once he's done that he may as well resign because there aren't any others.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Post by Jdsk »

It's already been a major stimulus to employment in the customs sector.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I can’t see joiners reverting from 600mm to 23 5/8th of an inch. Whatever JRM thinks I think it’s a nonstarter.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 4:47pm I can’t see joiners reverting from 600mm to 23 5/8th of an inch. Whatever JRM thinks I think it’s a nonstarter.
Yes, but how about Rejoiners... ?

; - )

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 4:47pm I can’t see joiners reverting from 600mm to 23 5/8th of an inch. Whatever JRM thinks I think it’s a nonstarter.
Maybe joiners wouldn't but it would certainly please leavers.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

SNAP!

: - )

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The Imperial system like Brexit,is a dead end for this country,and at the rate Brexit is going the country will hit the wall at the end of the Brexit cul-de-sac(sorry) pretty damned hard.
Of course if you're a supporter of brexit everything's going spiffing old chap,the unicorns will be frolicking in the sunny uplands in about 50 years time,Tallyho!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

The only opportunities Recce-Mogg and co are looking for is opportunities to continue lining their own pockets :x
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hellhound wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 5:17pm The only opportunities Recce-Mogg and co are looking for is opportunities to continue lining their own pockets :x
Yer not wrong there,and it's not as if their pockets aren't bulging already......
W H Auden
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

In what way are imperial units an opportunity? At any rate metrication was well underway years before we joined the EEC just largely in things not public facing. OS was one of the earliest, UK mapping has been metric since the 20s

Had it not been for a couple of wars, the UK would have metricated in the early 20th century as bills to do so were knocking about parliament before ww1.

As has been joked, the largest brexit opportunity is the one to join large trading, economic and cultural union that just happens to be right on our doorstep...

And yes, this is just bluster and chucking some red meat out by jrm. He and the other spivs have already been well on their brexit opportunities by moving his funds out and shorting UK plc.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunists

Post by Jdsk »

Lots of opportunities identified in the latest report from the British Chambers of Commerce:

BCC RESEARCH FINDS LITTLE LOVE FOR EU TRADE DEAL

71% of exporters say EU trade deal is not enabling them to grow or increase sales
Only 1 in 8 exporters think it is helping them grow or increase sales
Majority think it has pushed up costs, increased paperwork and delays, and put the UK at a competitive disadvantage.
New research carried out by the British Chambers of Commerce of more than 1,000 businesses has highlighted a host of issues with the UK’s trade deal with Europe. The BCC believes urgent steps should be taken to address these problems so the UK Government’s ambition to increase the number of firms exporting can be met.

Overall, just 8% of firms agreed that the Trade and Co-operation Agreement (TCA) was ‘enabling their business to grow or increase sales’, while 54% disagreed. For UK exporters 12% agreed that the TCA was helping them while 71% disagreed.

https://www.britishchambers.org.uk/news ... trade-deal

The main opportunity being the removal of as many of the new trade barriers as possible as quickly as possible.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The unicorns,the sunny uplands,the sovereignty.....

......the crap peddled by shyster and liars
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 4:38pm Rees-Mogg is now Minister for Brexit Opportunities. The only possible opportunity I can see from Brexit is to stop using the metric system and revert to Imperial measurements. Once he's done that he may as well resign because there aren't any others.
Report today (and it's not a spoof but Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-imperial-measurements-economic-benefit-study-b2021304.html wrote:Brexit: Government to launch study on economic benefits of reintroducing Imperial units
The government is to launch a study of the economic benefits of reintroducing Imperial units of measurement, to quantify a supposed advantage of Brexit.
Except a "study" costs time and money, our money. So we (taxpayers) will be paying for this study!

Ian
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

For the doubters, here is the 105 page government report outlining all the benefits from Brexit, both seen and as yet unseen:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... brexit.pdf

Yup, it's a work of fiction with one or two hidden gems like studies into allowing larger articulated lorries on our roads :x

More realistic information is to be found in: Rule Britannia: Brexit and the End of Empire by Danny Dorling, to precis:

Things fall apart when empires crumble. This time, we think, things will be different. They are not. This time, we are told, we will become great again. We will not. In this new edition of the hugely successful Rule Britannia, Danny Dorling and Sally Tomlinson argue that the vote to leave the EU was the last gasp of the old empire working its way out of the British psyche. Fuelled by a misplaced nostalgia, the result was driven by a lack of knowledge of Britain’s imperial history, by a profound anxiety about Britain’s status today, and by a deeply unrealistic vision of our future.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

The man is an idiot. Enough said.