Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Post by reohn2 »

Is one of your hands cold?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Ah yes, Brexit!

The ultimate pig, in the ultimate poke.

The thing which every buyer imagined to fulfil their own personal fantasy of ceasing to be a member of the EU, which ranged, of course, from some imagining a continuing very close relationship, with uninterrupted trade, merely removing the odd bit of tiresome meddling by some EU civil servants, through to others who imagined machine gun posts and barbed-wire entanglements on every beach to keep out anyone fleeing war or terror in their own country, a sudden reversion to the world trade patterns of 1973, and possibly in the odd very extreme case instant white supremacy, and the sun rising again on Empire.

It was never, ever, not no how, going to be possible to come through this without upsetting some who voted to leave, because they were all imagining their own ideal pigs, and it was a foregone conclusion that those who voted to stay would be more or less hacked-off. So, widespread hacked-off ness was baked into this from the outset.

As well as pigs, of course, chickens too, coming home to roost.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

:wink: or should that be :? Or even :|
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Re the side issue of immigration, obviously there's the direction of causality here but public concern over immigration is heavily correlated with how much fear the press are busy whipping up about it:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status ... 5208997888

Right now we have higher immigration than before the vote to leave and almost no one cares about it any more.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

Stevek76 wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 5:09pm Re the side issue of immigration, obviously there's the direction of causality here but public concern over immigration is heavily correlated with how much fear the press are busy whipping up about it:

Right now we have higher immigration than before the vote to leave and almost no one cares about it any more.
Lol....So know cares about immigration anymore, well that's a new one on me as the vast majority of supporters of brexit are really worried about the levels of illegal immigration that we are currently witnessing. This is all down to our incompetent Government! Brexit done properly would have resolved this situation before it got out of hand.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 5:49pm
Stevek76 wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 5:09pm

Re the side issue of immigration, obviously there's the direction of causality here but public concern over immigration is heavily correlated with how much fear the press are busy whipping up about it:

Lol....So know cares about immigration anymore, well that's a new one on me as the vast majority of supporters of brexit are really worried about the levels of illegal immigration that we are currently witnessing. This is all down to our incompetent Government! Brexit done properly would have resolved this situation before it got out of hand.

Can you send me the addresses of "the vast majority of Brexit supporters" wot you 'ave as I would like to visit each and every one of them to give them a cuddle whilst hiding their Daily Hate Mail. Perhaps they will all calm down and sees sense?

How did you manage to find the time, though, to get to know them all and their feelings? I calculated the number of miles I'm likely going to have to ride atween those in Old Creakton and those in Upper Bullock. That alone will take me quite a while.......

Does one need to get over barbed wire and past shotgun guards they may have put up to see orf the swarms of immigrants about to appear any minute now? I've been looking out of the window myself, for ages, but still haven't seen a swarm of even one!

Cugel, an English immigrant in Wales.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Just hold fast to this certainty Mr Cyclo2022: when Brexit doesn’t deliver everything that you dreamt of, that isn’t because a bunch of evil remainers stitched you up, it’s because you were led up the garden path by the likes of the PM, and that grinning farrago bloke, and that just about the only leading politician who has really done well out of it is President Putin.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Nearholmer wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 6:47pm Just hold fast to this certainty Mr Cyclo2022: when Brexit doesn’t deliver everything that you dreamt of, that isn’t because a bunch of evil remainers stitched you up, it’s because you were led up the garden path by the likes of the PM, and that grinning farrago bloke, and that just about the only leading politician who has really done well out of it is President Putin.
I have wondered whether - or should that be to what extent - President Putin interfered with the referendum and the UK’s earlier relationship with the EU. It seems to me that the West is either blind to or unwilling to recognise external influences … and wherever you are there are politicians who are prepared to accept some ‘form’ of bribe, etc.
Last edited by Carlton green on 7 Jun 2022, 8:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
jb

Post by jb »

Ben@Forest wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 7:47am
jb wrote: 4 Jun 2022, 10:32pm You very rarely get engineers wanting to go back to the imperial system or scientists - funny that...

Still the opinion of shop keepers and bar stool moaners are what really matter.
In farming we still use acres as a measurement of land but in forestry we use hectares. I don't really know why, but suspect the Forestry Commission will have had huge influence on forestry practice from the 1920s and they decided to use ha.

And in forestry we measure softwood timber by m3 (not weight) and hardwood timber is still sometimes measured by the Hoppus foot. The Hoppus foot includes the rounded edges from which the cubic volume has to come. Therefore a Hoppus foot is larger than a cubic foot. Again the m3 was probably an FC introduction, because they really grew softwoods, not hardwoods - and on the whole that's still true.
If you want to call 0.5683 litres a pint (UK) then nobodies going to stop you or want to - its a convenient name for a useful quantity.

If however you want to know how much work you can get out of a jet engine using fuel of 'x' calorific value with an air density of ''Y' then the thought of using pounds thrust, inHg and BTUs would send a shiver up the spine of most designers these days.

The imperial system evolved (if not standardized) long before it was properly understood that different properties & their units of measurement had a relationship with each other.

edited for awful grammar
Last edited by jb on 7 Jun 2022, 12:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
J Bro
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

The imperial system evolved (if not standardized) long before it was properly understood that different properties & there units of measurement had a relation ship with each other.
You’re not wrong but mostly the folk who are using a measuring unit are using it in isolation to other properties so such a relationship is irrelevant to them. What is relevance to those users is the ease of use of the measuring system and it’s applicability to their immediate needs.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The number of people arriving in the UK without authorisation is *tiny* compared to numbers of legal immigrants. The vast majority of people staying in the UK without authorisation have previously had a right to live in the UK. The British government does a very poor job of documenting who leaves the country.

Being part of the EU did not have anything to with people entering the UK without authorisation. There was never anything stopping the UK from preventing unauthorised entry.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 9:11am
Being part of the EU did not have anything to with people entering the UK without authorisation. There was never anything stopping the UK from preventing unauthorised entry.
It's all down to belief. Brexiters believe anything bad was caused by EU membership. Obviously unauthorised immigration fell into that category. On realising Brexit hasn't made any difference they convince themselves it was because it was done properly. Properly is whatever their imaginations think it ought to do.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Carlton green wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 8:42am
The imperial system evolved (if not standardized) long before it was properly understood that different properties & there units of measurement had a relation ship with each other.
You’re not wrong but mostly the folk who are using a measuring unit are using it in isolation to other properties so such a relationship is irrelevant to them. What is relevance to those users is the ease of use of the measuring system and it’s applicability to their immediate needs.
A poor defence of the imperial system. The metric system is much easier to use.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

pete75 wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 9:43am
Carlton green wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 8:42am
A poor defence of the imperial system. The metric system is much easier to use.
You might find it so but others differ. The imperial system has evolved and worked well for millions of people over many centuries. That’s not to say that metric doesn’t work too and work well, but rather that imperial worked and works for its users. I use both systems but in day to day life I find imperial units simply easier and more meaningful to use.
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

Vorpal wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 9:11am

The number of people arriving in the UK without authorisation is *tiny* compared to numbers of legal immigrants. The vast majority of people staying in the UK without authorisation have previously had a right to live in the UK. The British government does a very poor job of documenting who leaves the country.

Over 28,000 illegal migrants entered the UK last year and it will be vastly more this year, it is also costing the British tax payer over 1.4 billion pounds a year to house and support them.....Not good !