Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Post by reohn2 »

It's not possible for me to post on the forum in words as to what I think of Jacob Reece Mogg,other than to say like his boss he's a rich twit of unbelievable idiocy who has no idea how the vast majority of UK citizens live,nor does he seem to give a monkey's for us either.
One hopes the rest of us ordinary people have learned their lesson about such people and their political party.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
in4time

Post by in4time »

Perhaps he might address the 90/180 rule that applies to UK citizens visiting Schengen but I believe EU citizens enjoy 180/365 when visiting UK.
I’d kinda like to ride across Europe at a leisurely pace and not have to boot it from Calais onwards.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 11:36am
pete75 wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 4:38pm Rees-Mogg is now Minister for Brexit Opportunities. The only possible opportunity I can see from Brexit is to stop using the metric system and revert to Imperial measurements. Once he's done that he may as well resign because there aren't any others.
Report today (and it's not a spoof but Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-imperial-measurements-economic-benefit-study-b2021304.html wrote:Brexit: Government to launch study on economic benefits of reintroducing Imperial units
The government is to launch a study of the economic benefits of reintroducing Imperial units of measurement, to quantify a supposed advantage of Brexit.
Except a "study" costs time and money, our money. So we (taxpayers) will be paying for this study!

Ian
You can't even bloody parody this lot.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 6:50pm
Psamathe wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 11:36am
pete75 wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 4:38pm Rees-Mogg is now Minister for Brexit Opportunities. The only possible opportunity I can see from Brexit is to stop using the metric system and revert to Imperial measurements. Once he's done that he may as well resign because there aren't any others.
Report today (and it's not a spoof but Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-imperial-measurements-economic-benefit-study-b2021304.html wrote:Brexit: Government to launch study on economic benefits of reintroducing Imperial units
The government is to launch a study of the economic benefits of reintroducing Imperial units of measurement, to quantify a supposed advantage of Brexit.
Except a "study" costs time and money, our money. So we (taxpayers) will be paying for this study!

Ian
You can't even bloody parody this lot.
That's a very true word in jest :lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Rees mogg has found his ideal niche. Sitting with his feet up against the radiator, twiddling his thumbs whistling dixie. About all you can do in a non-job like this.
Jdsk

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunists

Post by Jdsk »

Here's one that's both crucial and easy. Sort out the damage that's being done to science in the UK:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ch-at-risk

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 11:36am Except a "study" costs time and money, our money. So we (taxpayers) will be paying for this study!

Ian
The irony is that we've replaced 'unelected* EU bureaucrats' with many more unelected British bureaucrats to both full in the loss of efficiencies of scale and deal with silly stuff like this. I guess they're all red white and blue great British bureaucrats though so that's somehow better?

*Given bureaucrats are unelected by definition this is of course redundant hyperbole, you wouldn't actually want to have elected people doing bureaucracy!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

I booked a supported trip from Munich to Rome - its been on hold for the last two years due to Covid. The bikes are to be transported by the company in a van. This was in the past a free service and people could also use it one way only if required (ie for an additional holiday tagged on) and include some luggage (eg cycle clothing, helmet)

Have recently been informed that, as a result of leaving the EU, there is additional paperwork, costs and limitations.
An ATA Carnet needs to be completed for each bike.
This must include all bike details; manufacturer, model , frame number, weight, purchase price, country of origin and (I assume) the same for additional items on the bikes eg lights, mudguards, panniers etc.
Importantly the out-going inventory MUST match the returning inventory, else charges will be levied (20% of bike value)
No additional luggage can be carried.
Once the ATA Carnet is submitted, changes to the inventory cannot be made.
There is now an estimated additional cost of £40 per bike.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm using up my meagre 90 days at the moment, but I heard that JRM has asked the Sun's readership for post Brexit ideas.

How many times 'you couldn't make it up' must we suffer.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

J R-M couldn't give a [rude word deleted] what happens to anyone post-Brexit, so long as his off-shore tax-free investments continue to "earn" him a very comfortable living... As far as I can tell, all he was concerned about was extracting the UK from the forthcoming EU arrangments that would have made his current financial set-up awkward.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 4:50pm J R-M couldn't give a [rude word deleted] what happens to anyone post-Brexit, so long as his off-shore tax-free investments continue to "earn" him a very comfortable living... As far as I can tell, all he was concerned about was extracting the UK from the forthcoming EU arrangments that would have made his current financial set-up awkward.
And not only his but the Russian oligarch's money in similar offshore havens,the same oligachs who fed money into the Tory party to the tune of millions of £££s over the past 10 years or more.
The very same oligarchs the Tories are now trying to distance themselves from by being sympathetic to the Ukrainian peoples stuggle against Putin the gangster.
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

D'you know what? This week-end's turn of events and the awful reality of world geopolitical war-mongering in particular, reminds me of what I like about bicycles - ie, they're straightforward, dependable, predicatable and reliable (mostly!) unlike politics and crazy state leaders!! And you can have them in any colour you like, too. Even grey... ;-)
from y'day's cycle ride, up near the Frome
from y'day's cycle ride, up near the Frome
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Minister for Brexit Opportunism

Post by Jdsk »

I've found one!

“We are a Brexit winner,” said Jacques Vandermeiren, CEO of the port of Antwerp-Bruges.
“While total trade between the United Kingdom and Europe is decreasing, our piece of the now smaller cake has become larger,” he added.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/econom ... om-brexit/

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Well isn't it heartening to learn that somebody, somewhere is benefitting, albiet in a modest way, from the decision to leave the EU... Well Done Jonathan, on taking the time and effort to track that oh-so-rare animal down !
Has anyone else managed to find any other evidence at all, that there's any other pluses, that can actually be measured?? Prizes may well be offered for successful sightings...
S
Jdsk

Minister for Brexit Opportunism

Post by Jdsk »

If there are prizes... I've mentioned it before but it's created 50,000 new jobs in the customs sector.

50,000 additional people getting in the way. Or not in the case of actually doing import checks on goods because we haven't implemented what we agreed.

"It's one small step for a man, one giant leap for bureaucracy."

Jonathan