Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Post by Vorpal »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 12:01pm
Vorpal wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 9:11am
Cyclo2022 wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 5:49pm Lol....So know cares about immigration anymore, well that's a new one on me as the vast majority of supporters of brexit are really worried about the levels of illegal immigration that we are currently witnessing. This is all down to our incompetent Government! Brexit done properly would have resolved this situation before it got out of hand.
The number of people arriving in the UK without authorisation is *tiny* compared to numbers of legal immigrants. The vast majority of people staying in the UK without authorisation have previously had a right to live in the UK. The British government does a very poor job of documenting who leaves the country.

Being part of the EU did not have anything to with people entering the UK without authorisation. There was never anything stopping the UK from preventing unauthorised entry.
Over 28,000 illegal migrants entered the UK last year and it will be vastly more this year, it is also costing the British tax payer over 1.4 billion pounds a year to house and support them.....Not good !
Do you have a citation for that?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When I lived in France a purchased a couple of carpentry tape measures and now I really "treasure" them (make sure I don't lose them) - mm/cm on both edges rather than mm/cm on one edge and ins on the other. You can measure using one side and transfer mark using other side without having to reverse or stand tape on edge ...

When measuring e.g. thickness of a bit of timber mm is far easier rather than finding the tick on the rules and working out if it's a 4th or 5th or 6th ... or 16th of a inch tick mark ...

Running two systems in any area just makes things harder.

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 12:13pm When I lived in France a purchased a couple of carpentry tape measures and now I really "treasure" them (make sure I don't lose them) - mm/cm on both edges rather than mm/cm on one edge and ins on the other. You can measure using one side and transfer mark using other side without having to reverse or stand tape on edge ...
I don't think I went further than Screwfix for mine.
But yes, different measurements on the two edges is annoying, it would be whatever those units were.
jb

Post by jb »

Carlton green wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 8:42am
The imperial system evolved (if not standardized) long before it was properly understood that different properties & there units of measurement had a relation ship with each other.
You’re not wrong but mostly the folk who are using a measuring unit are using it in isolation to other properties so such a relationship is irrelevant to them. What is relevance to those users is the ease of use of the measuring system and it’s applicability to their immediate needs.
Yes I've met skilled machinists who preferred imperial units on the basis that 12 divided up better than 10 (they also liked to show off how proficient they were with fractions)
I use inches when building anything at home because I can see them better, I can visualize 2 thou better than I can 5 hundredths of a mm, I own imperial machine tools but non of that is relevant to a world wide system of measuring that was put together with a far better understanding of how the world works.

Who knows, there might be an even better system to come to replace the SI. and I shall embrace it. - or would if I were still around.
Cheers
J Bro
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

jb wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 12:57pm
Yes I've met skilled machinists who preferred imperial units on the basis that 12 divided up better than 10 (they also liked to show off how proficient they were with fractions)
I use inches when building anything at home because I can see them better, I can visualize 2 thou better than I can 5 hundredths of a mm, I own imperial machine tools but non of that is relevant to a world wide system of measuring that was put together with a far better understanding of how the world works.

Who knows, there might be an even better system to come to replace the SI. and I shall embrace it. - or would if I were still around.
I can kind of understand that perspective, and imperial units were easier to read on the old micrometers. But, that also required some skill, and some people could 'feel' the right point better than others, so the repeatability for one person was much worse than for another. Digital micrometers eliminate the need to 'feel' the measurement and hugely improved repeatability.

Then, it doesn't matter what units you use, and SI becomes easier.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It struck me the other day as I struggled to decide whether to measure something or other, and whether to use metric or imperial, that with imperial you sort-of get a choice which small things to use - if it's just a rough cut, then you might just mark it to the nearest quarter inch, whereas if it's something more exact, you can switch to say 32s of an inch... with metric, there's less choice!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Cyclo is kinda right, in that according to government published figures something over 28 000 “irregular migrants” arrived in the U.K. by small boats in 2021.

What on earth it has to do with Brexit though, I’m far from sure, because the preponderance of people washing-up on our shores at the moment come from Iran, Iraq, and increasingly from Afghanistan, since the strangely disorderly withdrawal that handed the place over to the Taliban again.

People fleeing war, terror, and persecution is one heck of a complicated problem, especially when creating refugee crises is deliberately used as a weapon of economic warfare in itself, and I don’t pretend to know how Britain can best respond to it in a balanced way (nobody else seems to know either!), but fulminating about it and somehow implying that it’s an EU created issue sure as heck won’t sort it out.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 3:16pm Cyclo is kinda right, in that according to government published figures something over 28 000 “irregular migrants” arrived in the U.K. by small boats in 2021.
Kinda right? The majority of these 'irregular migrants' can legally seek asylum in the UK. Those that cannot are deported.

It is not illegal to enter the UK to seek asylum.
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

Vorpal wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 3:36pm
Nearholmer wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 3:16pm Cyclo is kinda right, in that according to government published figures something over 28 000 “irregular migrants” arrived in the U.K. by small boats in 2021.
Kinda right? The majority of these 'irregular migrants' can legally seek asylum in the UK. Those that cannot are deported.

It is not illegal to enter the UK to seek asylum.
It is not illegal for people to apply for asylum in the UK as long as they go down the correct legal routes which involves processing. The problem is that the migrants who board boats from the French coast are entering the UK illegally as they have not been properly processed beforehand. This is a problem for asylum seekers who do go down the correct route as the boat migrants selfishly jump the queue.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 1:55pm
jb wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 12:57pm

I can kind of understand that perspective, and imperial units were easier to read on the old micrometers. But, that also required some skill, and some people could 'feel' the right point better than others, so the repeatability for one person was much worse than for another. Digital micrometers eliminate the need to 'feel' the measurement and hugely improved repeatability.

Then, it doesn't matter what units you use, and SI becomes easier.
My father was a turner for many years making parts for F1 Grand Prix cars. He said using a digital mike was no different to using traditional and that feel was the most important thing with both. He reckoned half the people using one seemed to think it a g-clamp not a precision measuring instrument and that for many traditional mikes were better as in order to read it they'd have to receive some instruction in how to use the device. He didn't really trust vernier calipers to be that accurate even though his were Moore and Wright - using one for I.D. he'd measure the jaw distance with a micrometer as we didn't have any internal mikes at home.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 3:55pm Do you have a citation for that?
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ember-2021
That says irregular migrants not illegal migrants. Not the same thing.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

pete75 wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 4:38pm
Cyclo2022 wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 3:55pm Do you have a citation for that?
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ember-2021
That says irregular migrants not illegal migrants. Not the same thing.

Same thing!....28,526 "Illegal Migrants" were detected arriving on small boats in 2021👍
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Kinda right?
Yes, and kinda wrong too, for the reasons you state.

I have as nasty suspicion though that one of the changes being introduced in the upcoming change to the immigration laws is to make irregular migration illegal.

Whether doing that is itself legal, I don’t know, because I am not an expert on international law relating to refugees.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Same thing!....28,526 "Illegal Migrants" were detected arriving on small boats in 2021
Not the same thing, but I understand how important it is to you that you never let facts get in the way of your narrative. After all, if you did, the narrative would disappear like a fart in the wind.