Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunities

Post by Cugel »

Shurely Al should be given scope, to tell us what the Torygraph thinks? After all, many don't read it because of them lies it tells so Al would be doing us all a service. Perhaps he could also precis The Daily Hate Mail for us, even though that risks burning your eyes and nulling your brain. :-)

Myself, I'm quite interested in what books he has on the burn 'em list for being anti-British. I'll go out and buy a copy of each and every one before Priti sends the book-police out to snatch them away from the eyes of vulnerable children everywhere. Those leftist teechers and their ..... teeching!

Cugel, probably a traitor like those judges. (I am wearing my Lady Hale T-shirt today).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The positive thing is that if the CTC ever sets up a committee to investigate Un-British Cycling Activities, you know, riding on the right, using gears other than Sturmey Archer, that sort of thing, there’ll be no difficulty finding a Chairman.

I’ll be OK, if I’m careful how I answer the inquisition, because one of my bikes is a Pashley, and it has a Brooks saddle, although the tyres are, er, um …. German.
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:52pm The Guardian, still the teechers paper. Both highly biased and anti British. Always trying to beat everybody down. Best ignored...

Al
There can't be much Jeremy Corbyn and Al agree on, but they're united in this dislike of the Guardian.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Cugel, you can read the Daily Fascist online for free. Tomorrow I will walk over the road to the village shop and buy it purely because it has the best weekly TV magazine bar none. Bargain ar £1.20. the paper bit is useful for wrapping up rubbish like the Grianuard etc :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 6:03pm Cugel, you can read the Daily Fascist online for free. Tomorrow I will walk over the road to the village shop and buy it purely because it has the best weekly TV magazine bar none. Bargain ar £1.20. the paper bit is useful for wrapping up rubbish like the Grianuard etc :lol:

Al
Ha! I tries not to watch that TV, so reading about the various spectacles and pantomimes it shows is of no interest to moi. Mind, I do enjoy that "Farmers Country Showdown" thing and also a bit of Iolo. I used to enjoy "The Repair Shop" but it's stopped being about the repairs and is now better described as "The Faux Maudlin' Grief Shop". Cringe!

But I digress (a bad sign in a 73 year old).

It seems wrong to me that pushers in the village shop are allowed to deal in that hate-drug newspap, freely and without censure. When I'm dictator, any day now, they'll all be had-up for corrupting the naive & innocent, especially daft auld pensioners who have lost the ability to resist con artists, scammers, phishers and all them other spivs we are currently knee deep in, because the poor old victim's data processing organ is not what it was.

Perhaps you should ask the council for a minder? The ladywife minds me, which is just as well. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We sometimes get the Daily Star on a Saturday too to get the latest update on Aliens :lol: Very choosey about TV too. Quest is often interesting for us brain dead...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Re: Minister for Brexit Opportunism

Post by Jdsk »

Stevek76 wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 3:21pm One of the things that annoys me more than it should is when people say the US uses Imperial measurements

They don't, they were independent before the Imperial system was invented. Their actual system is known as US Customary and made some differing choices in terms of standardising the many sector specific gallons into a single volume measure.
From another thread:
It is really because America didn't fall over backwards to suck up to the Europeans as did Britain in abandoning the Imperial system of measurements.
I don't think so.

The USA didn't use the Imperial system, as above. It did and does use English units. It still uses US Customary Units for some purposes.

And their government has officially adopted metrication.

And many of the inventors and advocates of metrication were in the UK.

But that does leaves the question of why the USA haven't completed the migration.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 18 Jul 2022, 4:13pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

But that does leaves the question of why they haven't completed the migration.
Still too many buffalo in the way?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 4:09pm
But that does leaves the question of why they haven't completed the migration.
Still too many buffalo in the way?
THEY"RE NOT BUFFALO!

; - )

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sunak: "“As prime minister, I would task a new Brexit Delivery Department... "
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... e-27502525

But where would that leave the Minister for Brexit Opportunism? And this thread? WE SHOULD BE TOLD!

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

THEY"RE NOT BUFFALO!
That’s not what Bill told me.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 4:27pm
THEY"RE NOT BUFFALO!
That’s not what Bill told me.
That reminds me:

"Wild bison return to UK for first time in thousands of years":
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... s-of-years

Jonathan

PS: "They will be joined by a young bull from Germany in mid-August, whose arrival was delayed by import complications related to Brexit."
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Will it be sent to Rwanda I wonder........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

THEY"RE NOT BUFFALO!

; - )

Jonathan
And you can't wash your hands in a buffalo
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jules59 wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 1:43pm I booked a supported trip from Munich to Rome - its been on hold for the last two years due to Covid. The bikes are to be transported by the company in a van. This was in the past a free service and people could also use it one way only if required (ie for an additional holiday tagged on) and include some luggage (eg cycle clothing, helmet)

Have recently been informed that, as a result of leaving the EU, there is additional paperwork, costs and limitations.
An ATA Carnet needs to be completed for each bike.
This must include all bike details; manufacturer, model , frame number, weight, purchase price, country of origin and (I assume) the same for additional items on the bikes eg lights, mudguards, panniers etc.
Importantly the out-going inventory MUST match the returning inventory, else charges will be levied (20% of bike value)
No additional luggage can be carried.
Once the ATA Carnet is submitted, changes to the inventory cannot be made.
There is now an estimated additional cost of £40 per bike.
And it has been applied:
viewtopic.php?t=153008
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62799594

Several bikes sent unaccompanied by ferry to Spain. Fee required on collection.

Jonathan