Catrike 700 rear rack

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Re: Catrike 700 rear rack

Post by UpWrong »

I had some light fittings that had a 90 degree reorientation, but I have no idea where they came from.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Certainly the Tubus stays can be rotated and I’d imagine would work with p-clips. Ideally you’d be able to buy some p clips, borrow a Tubus rack and see if it worked. If it doesn’t your only expense is the p clips. There’s also the 90 degree elbow that Tubus sell https://www.tubus.com/en/products/acces ... for-fly-90

Can I ask what the width of the vertical head rest post on your cattrike is? You can get seat post clamps designed for rack stays to bolt to. Wondering if one of those on the vertical post might be an option?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

belgiangoth wrote: 8 Mar 2022, 11:13pm I was thinking a Tortec expedition rack, but was wondering how to connect it to the top of the seat, seeing as the rack is designed to attach with horizontal screws whereas P-clips would provide vertical attachment points.
Could you hold something similar in place and take a photo, please. That might stimulate some possible solutions.

Jonathan
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I'll give it a bash over the weekend. I reckon from more photos that the attachment should still be possible, just that it would end up further to one side. Other option involve attaching to the headrest (less keen on).
Wonder whether tubus and tortec struts (or with their rack attachments) are interchangeable...
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Found some photos of my solution. Click on photos to expand:
WP_20180211_11_34_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20180211_11_34_24_Pro.jpg
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

And here with my solution to stop the ICE sidepods swaying against the chain. It's a part from an MTB tail mudguard:
WP_20170625_18_14_23_Pro 1.jpg
EDIT: I feel a pang of loss seeing how gorgeous the trike was. Sold it because it was just a little too extreme on my neck - this is the 2015 model. They fixed that later (2018?) by curving the upper part of the seat rails more. Unfortunately there's no UK dealer anymore. Part of the problem is the space frame doesn't break down for more compact shipment, unlike all ICE and AZUB trikes.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

^ ah, so you went with connecting it to the headrest. I would have thought longer struts could go straight to the seat-rail at the top. What are the connector pieces between the struts and the attachment points on the headset bar? Probably the solution I need to rotate thru 90 degrees.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

belgiangoth wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 4:15pm ^ ah, so you went with connecting it to the headrest. I would have thought longer struts could go straight to the seat-rail at the top. What are the connector pieces between the struts and the attachment points on the headset bar? Probably the solution I need to rotate thru 90 degrees.
They are rear bike light fittings but I can't remember the brand, and they were the only two I had and got sold with the trike. Ironically the buyer who had been so keen on the rack, later dispensed with it.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Cheers upwrong! I was more mwondering what connected the light brackets to the struts - or were they part of the light fittings?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Yes, part of the fitting.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Just remembered, I think they are reflector brackets rather than light brackets. Hence hole for screw to attach the reflector at the non clamp end of the bracket.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Apparently tubus struts will fit on the tortec, which will be as simple a solution I reckon.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

All set up, but I will swap the light mounts for some p clips, as the light mounts have very thin screws holding them together. Getting a couple measurements of the diameter with callipers, should I just size up and use inner tube to pack it?
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

No close-up of the rack attachment though.