Funding or Subsidy for Cycling Infrastructure

Jdsk

Re: Funding or Subsidy for Cycling Infrastructure

Post by Jdsk »

I had a men's shower installed where I worked. (There was already a women's.)

I don't know where to find the money but I'd always recommend identifying allies and working with them. And stamina... you only have to win once.

Good luck

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

atoz wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 12:54pm
pete75 wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 7:56pm Why do people in this country thing showers, changing facilities and lockers are necessary if they cycle to work? Go to any Dutch city at going to work time and you'll see hundreds of people cycling in suits, smart skirts etc direct to their office jobs. If cycling is to become a normal means of transport it needs to become a normal activity, not just a sport that requires special clothing and a shower after a ride.
That depends on the journey. In my case that would mean 8 miles with a couple of stiff climbs, including a sustained 1 in 6 ascent on the return leg. If that doesn't justify the kit I don't know what does. And changing when you get in means less odour. Some of us do jobs involving customer service. As for suits and skirts-you rarely see either these days. Most women wear pants for work now. Suits are for interviews nowadays, and often without a tie. Unless you're a male politician of course.

If you want to wear a skirt or dress, this will mean an inferior bike because the dropped tube compromises stiffness. My late Mum used to have a "ladies bike" as they used to be called. She hated the thing, hardly ever used it and nabbed my Raleigh Hustler as soon as I grew out of it, and of course wore pants riding it to work as a dinner lady. She never used the "ladies bike" for club rides of course, preferring a normal road bike. I know how horrible that "ladies bike" was to ride, as I once had to help her out on a cycle tour.

So called "cycle chic" is ill informed twaddle.
This is what treating cycling as a normal means of transport looks like. They appear to have no problems with skirts, age or snow.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

pete75 wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 11:38pm
AndyK wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 3:54pm
pete75 wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 7:56pm Why do people in this country thing showers, changing facilities and lockers are necessary if they cycle to work? Go to any Dutch city at going to work time and you'll see hundreds of people cycling in suits, smart skirts etc direct to their office jobs. If cycling is to become a normal means of transport it needs to become a normal activity, not just a sport that requires special clothing and a shower after a ride.
It's because of the earnest "How can we do something while ignoring the elephant in the room?" approach to encouraging cycle commuting in this country.

Imagine you're a small-to-medium size employer. You do a survey of your staff: "Why don't you cycle to work?"
"I would worry about my bike being stolen."
So you put in secure bike stores. "How's that?"
"Oh great, but I would get hot and sweaty cycling to work and there are no showers."
So you put in showers.
"That's nice, I'll use those when I get back from driving to and from my lunchtime five-a-side game. Nowhere to store my clothes, though, so I can't cycle to work."
So you provide lockers. "Ready to cycle in now?"
"Well, I'm out of practice, not sure I could ride a bike all the way."
So you arrange bike training sessions and a support scheme.
"Er... no.. because the roads are too scary["
"Pardon?"
"I said, the roads are too scary. Sorry."
And of course you can't fix that. Only the council can fix that, but while they're happy to run schemes that subsidise your bike racks and showers and lockers and training, fixing the traffic would require real money and real political bravery, so it's much easier to make token gestures.
Hmmm cycling is actually a safe activity.
I know that and you know that, but it's often the perception that matters. And it's statistically less safe per mile than less safe than driiving or walking. https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/road-cas ... ampaigning
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mention of Cycling Infrastructure has had me consulting what was once the bible but might now be termed the old testament: Cycle-friendly Infrastructure.

Under Cycle-Friendly Authorities it includes this recommendation (p 92)
  • Provide secure and convenient cycle parking for visitors and staff at all council workplaces, and showers where possible.
(I'm wonder how safety of cycling as a transport mode cropped up in a request for info about provision of storage and changing facilities at destinations.)
atoz

Post by atoz »

pete75 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 1:35pm
That depends on the journey. In my case that would mean 8 miles with a couple of stiff climbs, including a sustained 1 in 6 ascent on the return leg. If that doesn't justify the kit I don't know what does. And changing when you get in means less odour. Some of us do jobs involving customer service. As for suits and skirts-you rarely see either these days. Most women wear pants for work now. Suits are for interviews nowadays, and often without a tie. Unless you're a male politician of course.

If you want to wear a skirt or dress, this will mean an inferior bike because the dropped tube compromises stiffness. My late Mum used to have a "ladies bike" as they used to be called. She hated the thing, hardly ever used it and nabbed my Raleigh Hustler as soon as I grew out of it, and of course wore pants riding it to work as a dinner lady. She never used the "ladies bike" for club rides of course, preferring a normal road bike. I know how horrible that "ladies bike" was to ride, as I once had to help her out on a cycle tour.

This is what treating cycling as a normal means of transport looks like. They appear to have no problems with skirts, age or snow.

The woman in the picture is wearing three quarter cotton pants. Where's the skirt? And the road is pretty much flat. And not raining.

Try riding an "omarfiets" in God's own, rather than a place where you can nearly see the curvature of the earth when you ride. And I doubt people ride in the Ardennes on such bikes. I know someone who has one she brought back from the Netherlands. She says it's unusable where she lives (up another 1 in 6). Ebikes are an answer but given the cost secure parking is essential.

As for clothes for work. Visit a retail store. Women wear pants or leggings mostly. Skirts are not popular, and often not in stock.

If you live more than just down the road where I live, the kit is a must. Together with 1 to 1 gearing.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I love these forums but…

Why when someone asks an innocent question about funding for showers etc at a workplace do some of the users feel a need to tell the OP he doesn’t need it? If he wants a shower, let him have one. The question was about funding not what are your opinions on whether he needs to shower.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's sometimes called being prescriptive and one funny thing is that the most prescriptive posters are those who get huffy when others are prescriptive.

Put another way, people who are good at dishing it out may not be the best at taking it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 4:08pm I love these forums but…

Why when someone asks an innocent question about funding for showers etc at a workplace do some of the users feel a need to tell the OP he doesn’t need it? If he wants a shower, let him have one. The question was about funding not what are your opinions on whether he needs to shower.
Maybe to highlight that what one individual feels is important may not be felt as quite so crucial by others doing the same. In case OP hadn't checked with other cyclists about their priorities a "maybe not everybody feels the same way ...".

Ian
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I can't comment on secure storage, only the one I work at. We have the rather unusual situation of having a cross roads of foot paths smack in the middle of the play ground, but most schools have very restricted access. I doubt that security is much of an issue as long as the bike is not proped up against the front gate. As for covered storage. Hmm, is that really essential? It's a bike not a sofa.
Have you actually had a chat with the school about where they might keep bikes? You may find a great response or they may wonder what the devil you are on about. Do other kids cycle to school? At my school the don't and I don't blame them. 5 live in the village and thus walk to 5 minutes and the rest would have 3 or 4 miles minimum of narrow but fast roads with no verge and either a whopper of a hill up to the school from one direction or the same up from the other way. Kids annual training apart mine is the only bike that ever goes through the gates. No way would the boss fund any shelter.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

atoz wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 11:46am
pete75 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 1:35pm

The woman in the picture is wearing three quarter cotton pants. Where's the skirt? And the road is pretty much flat. And not raining.

Try riding an "omarfiets" in God's own, rather than a place where you can nearly see the curvature of the earth when you ride. And I doubt people ride in the Ardennes on such bikes. I know someone who has one she brought back from the Netherlands. She says it's unusable where she lives (up another 1 in 6). Ebikes are an answer but given the cost secure parking is essential.

As for clothes for work. Visit a retail store. Women wear pants or leggings mostly. Skirts are not popular, and often not in stock.

If you live more than just down the road where I live, the kit is a must. Together with 1 to 1 gearing.
Watch the video, don't just look at a still.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

OP - it might be worth contacting TfGM to see if there’s going to be further funding rounds. We’ve had some stuff approved via this.

Also, your employer should have a sustainability lead/officer and staff travel is a huge generator of CO2 so generally they’ll be all over this. I know it’s not under cover/fully secure, but Sheffield stands are cheap… Edit - I see you say your employer is public sector. In that case they will definitely be on this

Another line is whether the various locations you describe are near Beelines whether these are approved or not, as this is another lever.

Lastly, it’s worth getting involved in WalkRide GM - might be some advice available on WRGM Slack.