Is Putin Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Is Putin Mad?

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 9:05am
reohn2 wrote: 9 Mar 2022, 4:10pm
mattheus wrote: 9 Mar 2022, 3:56pm Well I did USED to get it from R4 World At One ...
That's not what I asked though is it?
I get some of it from R4. Not all though.
(I don't believe I have *ever* gone to Youtube for current affairs info off my own initiative. I almost never click on Youtube links posted on forums, whatever the topic - a poster has to give me a lot of info to persuade me that it will be worthwhile, such is the enormous noise-to-signal ration on that site.)
Whatever strums your strings,I always find between the lines is where the truth is :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

We need to invade Belarus.
I am here. Where are you?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As an aside to the principle theme of this thread ie is Potty Putin mad, it's at times like this that we - and more particularly, the people of Ukraine and most especially, Russia, absolutley depend on a source/s of news that is as close to reality as possible. It's no exaggeration to say that lives depend on it and further more, the way that geopolitical futures pan out may even depend on it. The folks in Ukraine are able to depict the horrors unfolding in a way that's never been seen before ie multiple clips in video and still photo, and uploaded to the 'net so that the rest of the world can see exactly what's going on, often within minutes of it occuring. Multiple surveillance satellites show 'before & after' pictures, leaving us all in no doubt about what's happening. All this is available to anyone who cares to read the papers - at least in the free world.
However, the good folk of Russia enjoy no such luxury. It's now illegal even to call the war (what else is it??) a war, with punishment of 15 years in prison! This has led to the BBC temporaily suspending the activities of their journalists in Russia, so the liklihood of ordinary Russian folk (who are probably as nice and peaceful as you and I, dear reader) finding out what's really going on is slender. Dark days...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

This morning's Private Eye cover...
Potty Putin sits alone
Potty Putin sits alone
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonineaston wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 10:12am ...SNIP...

However, the good folk of Russia enjoy no such luxury. It's now illegal even to call the war (what else is it??) a war, with punishment of 15 years in prison! This has led to the BBC temporaily suspending the activities of their journalists in Russia, so the liklihood of ordinary Russian folk (who are probably as nice and peaceful as you and I, dear reader) finding out what's really going on is slender. Dark days...
Yup it ain't good.

Always some rays of light. BBC resurrecting SW: https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/4/22961 ... wave-radio
And Russians with VPN, or TOR browsers can access most Western stuff (for those on the 'net that is).

It's quite funny that BBC is now all available on the dark web - funny in a, er ... dark way!
Last edited by mattheus on 10 Mar 2022, 2:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I listen to Newscast and Ukrainecast on BBC MySounds quite a lot. Recently Gabriel Gatehouse said that he now wonders if Putin actually believes his own rhetoric about Ukraine being run by a bunch of drug-crazed neo-nazis who are persecuting Ukrainians. Can Putin be that unhinged? The thought is scarey.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 9:49am............. if I see a post consisting of only a link, I tend to wait for others to comment before I open it and if they don't I just ignore it
We have a poster on here who is famous for it.

No names, no pack-drill.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(Losing track of which topics are in which of the Ukraine threads)
I wonder if China could have a significant influence on Putin. Maybe after his Olympics meetings he felt China would be fully behind him and a major trading partner after the rest of the world turned away from him. But news has been reporting China is not unqualified backing Putin. Abstained in UN Security Council some time ago and apparently now talking that diplomacy should be the way forward rather than military action. Not coming out as "against" but maybe signs Putin's dreams of close to China whatever he does not being not so certain might make him start thinking?

Ian
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 10:27pm I wonder if China could have a significant influence on Putin. Maybe after his Olympics meetings he felt China would be fully behind him and a major trading partner after the rest of the world turned away from him. But news has been reporting China is not unqualified backing Putin. Abstained in UN Security Council some time ago and apparently now talking that diplomacy should be the way forward rather than military action. Not coming out as "against" but maybe signs Putin's dreams of close to China whatever he does not being not so certain might make him start thinking?
One of the broadsheets had an interesting story on what China did or didn't know before the invasion. Prior to the invasion Chinese citizens were not advised to leave Ukraine whilst other countries advised such. Then when the invasion happened they advised their citizens just to hang a Chinese flag out of their windows so Russian forces knew they were friendly. Then a few days after the invasion China hurriedly evacuated its citizens.

It may mean Xi Jinping was told of the invasion, was told it would be easy and bloodless and no need for concern. But it could also mean he wasn't told and really didn't expect an invasion, and when it happened was assured by Putin it would be easy and bloodless - hence the flags. But of course artillery shells and indiscriminate bombing doesn't see flags... so a quick 180 degree turn in getting their citizens out.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Just watched an interesting video yesterday where random Chinese citizens were interviewed in Shanghai about Ukraine.

Kinda sorta reassuring up to a point, although you wonder what they're being told by the media. One young lad (the one with the jacket, hoodie and drink in his hand) said the state media takes a neutral stance while other media outlets are more pro or anti Russia. The old boy in the sweater and NY baseball cap was contradictory, insisting that China should never invade Taiwan because they were the same nation and yet previously he'd justified Russia invading Ukraine, but I think when he thought things through he realised that and appeared a bit conflicted in the end. Worth watching anyway if you have the time and inclination.

They're not under threat from Russia the way the rest of us potentially are and so inevitably aren't directly concerned, but they're not ambivalent either.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Kylecycler
I watched that same video yesterday and drew the same conclusions,plus I think Chinese people on the street feel they have to be careful what they say about anything to do with the Chinese state.
W H Auden
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

reohn2 wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 10:36am Kylecycler
I watched that same video yesterday and drew the same conclusions,plus I think Chinese people on the street feel they have to be careful what they say about anything to do with the Chinese state.
It was a bit like that, right enough - you couldn't be sure how up front they were being or were able to be, although they didn't just 'tow the party line'.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Looks like he (Putin) is not turning on everybody esle for his own failings (i.e. coming up with such a daft idea to start with)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russian-spy-chiefs-putin-security-b2034350.html wrote:Russian spy chiefs ‘under house arrest’ as Putin turns on his security chiefs over invasion setback
Russian spy chiefs ‘under house arrest’ as Putin turns on his security chiefs over invasion setback
Source reveals that Russian intelligence “miscalculated” the resistance expected in Ukraine in the run-up to invasion

Putin makes ‘insane’ claim Ukraine trying to spread weapons of mass destruction via birds

A Russian spy chief and his deputy have been placed under house arrest by Vladmir Putin as the president blames his security services for the resistance met in Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, it has been claimed.
Thing now is whether other senior people close to Putin might also feel they are "under threat" or feel vulnerable to "wrath of Putin" when all they are doing is what they've been told to do. Fish rots from the head.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 5:06pm ........ Fish rots from the head.

Ian
And that head has been rotten for some years.....
W H Auden