10 Miles per Day 2022

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Psamathe

10 Miles per Day 2022

Post by Psamathe »

I'm off to an encouraging start so far this year. Early days but managed virtually 16 miles per day so far (actually 15.9 miles per day). But it's little and often and I'm keen to increase the "little" (and I'm unlikely to be able to keep up the same "often").

Probably more miles on the tadpole recumbent than on 2 wheels but I can't find a suitable report in Garmin Connect and don't have access to my spreadsheet right now.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 27 Mar 2022, 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbnz

Re: 10 Miler per Day 2022

Post by gbnz »

Psamathe wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 9:02pm I'm off to an encouraging start so far this year.
+ 1. I was surprised nine days ago when my initial 75 mile ride of the year, wasn't an issue. And felt great to realize I'd had 310 miles on the bike in the past fortnight, without the slightest issue (Nb. Mileage & gym hasn't been at it's norm in the past two years).
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

+2 - I had injured my ribs not too long ago so that put me off the bike for around a week, but otherwise I've been pretty good with it.
I'll be at nearly 450 miles this year after my commute home. My goal is to 'beat' my previous year's total (even though I started at the end of March) of around 1,600 miles. Suffice to say I'm well on course.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I'm nowhere near, I could get to 1000 miles by the end of next week, but I'll have to get cracking!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sadly ......... I'm on more like one mile per day so far this year. :cry:

98.7miles done this year, and it's Day 60, so that makes it 1.6miles per day.
Gone are the days when I was riding 4,000miles a year.
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I'm having a steady start to the year, more rides than last year but less distance than the previous two years.

Including today here's where i am:-

Distance 2,163.5 km / 1344 mi
Time 107h 4m
Elev Gain 18,135 m / 59498 ft
Rides 26 / 60

So thats 22.4 mi per day. the average ride is just over 51.5 mi.
The average ride time is just over 4 hours so i'm not exactly tearing up the tarmac but in my defence i've been farting about with Wandrer and i've done a fair bit of 'not road' riding too.
My climbing numbers are pretty shoddy too, 44 ft per mile or 8.3m per km

Its better to have ridden some than none, if i can continue getting in 3 rides a week i'll be happy :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I seem to be struggling so far this year. Last year I did 10 a day finishing on Christmas Eve, that week I was doing 20 a day minimum. Then I got COVID (tested +ve on 27th). After completing my isolation and testing -ve on 2nd Jan, since then I've been out a few times and felt I'd had enough after 15 miles. :(

Is this a symptom of Long COVID or did I lose all my fitness in just 10 days?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 1:18pm I seem to be struggling so far this year. Last year I did 10 a day finishing on Christmas Eve, that week I was doing 20 a day minimum. Then I got COVID (tested +ve on 27th). After completing my isolation and testing -ve on 2nd Jan, since then I've been out a few times and felt I'd had enough after 15 miles.

The British definitions use time windows of the first four weeks, four to twelve weeks, and after twelve weeks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_COVI ... definition

I hope you're better soon.

Jonathan
David2504

Post by David2504 »

I’m at 677 miles and 47,428 feet climbed so far this year which took me 48 hours and 22 minutes, which works out at an average speed of 14mph. 34 rides to date giving an average distance of 20 miles.

However over the last couple of weeks I’ve been recording fewer than 10 a day, due to various named storms and overall poor weather. January, normally the worse weather month of the year, was relatively benign. And I’ve taken up running again, 3 days a week after a long term injury, so it will be a struggle to maintain 10 miles a date for the year.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Pootling peacefully round the local lanes most days has given me a total of 1652 miles for the year so far.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

pedalsheep wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 10:17pm Pootling peacefully round the local lanes most days has given me a total of 1652 miles for the year so far.
You are beating me. Pottering around lanes here (South of Worcester) I have done 1428 miles so far this year.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One of the nice things about getting ahead of the target early on is that on my spreadsheet logging rides I have a calculation saying how many mils per day I have to do for the rest of the year to average out at 10 and now I only need to achieve 8.78 miles per day for the remainder of the year to average at 10 across the year. Not massively below 10 but still encouraging.

Ian
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 1:24pm
tykeboy2003 wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 1:18pm I seem to be struggling so far this year. Last year I did 10 a day finishing on Christmas Eve, that week I was doing 20 a day minimum. Then I got COVID (tested +ve on 27th). After completing my isolation and testing -ve on 2nd Jan, since then I've been out a few times and felt I'd had enough after 15 miles.

The British definitions use time windows of the first four weeks, four to twelve weeks, and after twelve weeks.

Jonathan
My COVID symptoms were very mild, in pre-pandemic times I don't think I would have had time off work (I'm 65 and had 3 jabs, the last one in October last year). As well as a lack of stamina, I've put a bit of weight on (half a stone). Not sure if the weight gain is a result of long-COVID or the lack of fitness is due to weight gain...
Been out today (Burton Beer Festival - in several town centre pubs same as last year due to COVID) and done 17 miles (and a few pints) and didn't feel too bad. Struggled a bit with the hills though....
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 3 Mar 2022, 8:43pm

Jonathan
My COVID symptoms were very mild, in pre-pandemic times I don't think I would have had time off work (I'm 65 and had 3 jabs, the last one in October last year). As well as a lack of stamina, I've put a bit of weight on (half a stone). Not sure if the weight gain is a result of long-COVID or the lack of fitness is due to weight gain...
Been out today (Burton Beer Festival - in several town centre pubs same as last year due to COVID) and done 17 miles (and a few pints) and didn't feel too bad. Struggled a bit with the hills though....
Well done with this! 17 miles is the longest I've done with one short break for a couple of sweeties and one longer break for a glass of water. Quite a hilly one too, but it made me realise I ought to get more miles in (as well as learning to pace myself a bit better).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 3 Mar 2022, 8:43pm

Jonathan
Hills? in Burton? Okay i'll give you the flyover over the A38 might reduce your speed slightly - methinks it was the beer!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!