Gym use in Winter

Slowtwitch

Gym use in Winter

Post by Slowtwitch »

Does anyone regularly use an indoor gym in winter? I used to many years ago but got out of the habit, and I suppose it's a bit more complex and expensive since covid? Does anyone have a viable home set up?
De Sisti

Re: Gym use in Winter

Post by De Sisti »

I use a concept2 rowing machine at home now.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

De Sisti wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 7:48am I use a concept2 rowing machine at home now.
Do you get a good workout with it, how does it compare to cycling?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've returned to using the gym during the last few months - I waited for my booster jab.
During the lockdown I exercised at home using weights, walking and cycling.
The gym has a greater range of equipment - I do some aerobic exercise (treadmill, rowing machine etc) to warm up for weights exercises.
I'm convinced that strength training is as important as aerobic exercise for older people (I'm 80).

There is also some company - one gets to know people.
Dayglo

Post by Dayglo »

I invested in a home gym set up. In the hope I would use it more regular then a gym membership. So far, stop good!
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Yes, we use the gym at our local bike hub which costs £38 annual subscription plus £5 per visit.

Well equipped but we tend to do a 55 min high intensity hill climb on the techno bikes using a heart rate monitor followed by a few reps for the upper body. Really noticeable benefits since we started this regime and we're both 68!

[https://alphacycleworx.co.uk/]
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I've rejoined the gym to compliment my indoor bike/Zwift sessions.
I usually run 3-5k or row 2500-3500m to warm up then use the weight machines.I find just using the indoor bike alone isn't enough to keep the weight down over Winter.
Both the wife and I cancelled as when the restrictions were on you had to book a 45 minute slot and it just didn't work for us.Now it's restriction free it's OK.We pay £44pcm for unrestricted access to Gym/classes/pool plus we get free access for up to 3 under 16s.She uses the pool I don't.This is a family membership with NHS discount.It would be much more expensive if we had separate accounts without her NHS discount.
Slowtwitch wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 9:55am
De Sisti wrote: 2 Mar 2022, 7:48am I use a concept2 rowing machine at home now.
Do you get a good workout with it, how does it compare to cycling?
With rowing it depends what you put into it.I can get my HR higher rowing than I can cycling.2500-3500m at 38-40strokes per minute is a decent workout in itself for me!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I was brought up in a lighthouse, with a WC at ground level .and a kitchen in the middle section. My first job was with Youngman the ladder-maker .I had to bear a weighted back-pack to stimulate a stout person .I was in QC. After that I had spells at Blackpool, CIS building and finished at the Shard. A gym therefore was quite superfluous.